Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > best way to get rid of spider mites

Thread Title Search
Click to Upgrade your account
best way to get rid of spider mites Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2016, 04:38 PM #1
zapallo

zapallo is on a distinguished road
best way to get rid of spider mites

Hey folks!
I have a big problem with spider mites. They appeared in my grow room last year, and i didnt worry too much because it was only in a few plants and the year was gettin over so, i let them grow. Also, i was just making seeds so i wasnt really interested on getting nice smokable flowers. This year i moved from my old appartment, but i used the same smart pots i was using last year (i think this may have been my biggest mistake), when the spider mites appeared.

Well, they came back, and now i really need them to leave. Do you have any recomendations? i already tried with neem oil and nothing happened, and i read the only effective killer for spider mites i could find here in Chile was Ara˝ita which is a chemical acaricide containing Abamectin. My most affected plants have barely a month on flowering stage, do you think it would be too dangerous to use it now?
thanks!
zapallo is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2016, 04:45 PM #2
_tessarecting

_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future_tessarecting has a brilliant future
Essential oils w dr bronners soap as surfactant

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:50 PM #3
Robrites

Robrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivorRobrites is a survivor
Abamectin
Acute Toxicity to People and Other Mammals

Toxicity rating: Highly Toxic

Legal Weed is the fastest growing industry in the United States.

Robrites is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:55 PM #4
MicroRoy

MicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivorMicroRoy is a survivor
In the old days we would use Listerine. An ounce in a pint of water then spray it on.
MicroRoy is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2016, 05:01 PM #5
corky1968
Banned

Location: Living in a Trichome. These are the Best Homes in the World.
corky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud ofcorky1968 has much to be proud of
This is what you need if you want a chemical free solution.

Check the video it's a Spider Mite massacre.

Ladybugs and spider mites

How To: Cannabis and LadyBugs
corky1968 is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2016, 05:02 PM #6
captain planet

captain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud ofcaptain planet has much to be proud of
From what I hear, avid is the only sure fire way to go.
Neem, pyrethin, hot pepper sprays all don't touch em

Current Mothers
1: GG4
2: Girl Scout Cookies (forum)
3: Sour Dubb
4: Stardawg (Corey Haim)
5: 2.0
6: Blue Dream
captain planet is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2016, 05:06 PM #7
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
And that's the attitude that led to such wide spread resistance to abamectin.

That and most people are terrible at getting 100% coverage, or start making "light" doses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tessarecting View Post
Essential oils w dr bronners soap as surfactant
Yep.

1% solution of insecticidal soap (2 tsp per litre)

Bronners may be hard to find in your locale, look for "potassium salts of fatty acids" on local soap brands.

This type of soap mixes poorly with hard water and can burn plants.

0.125% Peppermint oil (1/4tsp per litre)

Spray at lights out/dusk. Test and observe plants for phytotoxicity over a period of 72hrs when using new mixes.

Abamectin works (on contact and with slight residual as it is translaminar), but it is late and you would end up with too much residue in the plant.

Mites are stupid easy to deal with. If contact sprays fail, the fail is yours, not the spray solution.
Mikell is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2016, 06:18 PM #8
zapallo

zapallo is on a distinguished road
Thank you all for your help!!
I have some listerine already haha so i'm gonna try with that. About the ladybugs, it seems that they do a great job, but it's hard to find them here since it's almost winter and i'm living in an urban area, they are hard to see even in spring/summer About the abamectin, think im going to consider it has a last choice. Apparently it's not that harmful though, i found this and it says it wil degradate quickly as far as it is just a thin layer. Don't worry Mikell, if i use it i'm going to follow all the indications and cover the entire plant and pot with it, and probably use some soap as backup i can get potassium soap, do u think it will be helpful?
Thank you all again
zapallo is offline Quote

Old 05-07-2016, 06:26 PM #9
Asslover

Asslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really niceAsslover is just really nice
The ONLY way to get rid of Spider Mites is to throw out all the plants, bug bomb, wash down and start over.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:50 PM #10
packerfan79

packerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant futurepackerfan79 has a brilliant future
I have kicked them with neem oil. It's a lot of work spray everything every 3 days for 21 days. Neem isn't a poison it works slowly but it works. they can't eat or reproduce, I tried lady bugs not a good way to get rid of spider mites, the ladybug needs to much moisture, so unless you want your room to feel like a swamp,and your buds to mold it doesn't work.
packerfan79 is offline Quote