Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ?

Thread Title Search
Click to buy cannabis seeds at Ace Seeds
Curious why mainline growing isn't more popular ? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2017, 09:06 PM #41
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud of
That's not on this site. I'm not putting my IP Addy all over the net connected to illegal activity. Never mind, I can live without seeing it. From your last comment I get the distinction. Though I don't think its actually possible without a dome lighting system as side buds would be much lower than central buds without skipping a few topping chances on the sides, ala my photo.
GMT is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 09:12 PM #42
Budley Doright

Budley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to beholdBudley Doright is a splendid one to behold
You probably should think of this in combination with lollypopping..... so you end up with 8 simplified branches..... 8 tops....

Wick Cloning = Cheap and effective

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=309503

Sticky: Big Clones.....and Air Layers
Budley Doright is online now Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 PM #43
RockinRobot

RockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of lightRockinRobot is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
That's not on this site. I'm not putting my IP Addy all over the net connected to illegal activity. Never mind, I can live without seeing it. From your last comment I get the distinction. Though I don't think its actually possible without a dome lighting system as side buds would be much lower than central buds without skipping a few topping chances on the sides, ala my photo.
GMT

To clarify a little.. In Mainlining. you train the plant to have 4-8 single colas. there are NO side branches from these. And as someone else stated usually lollypopped as well so that all growth is to the 8 main colas. With the correct strains each cola becomes 1 huge bud.

this is what a finished mainline plant would look like

RockinRobot is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:56 PM #44
stewart169

stewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the roughstewart169 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Expressions View Post
People prune plants all the time its super popular. I prune my plants into multi topped plants. No one calls it "mainlining" for many reasons. 1) its not a realy term. It was made up by a braindead donkey 2) only hardcore fans of said braindead donkey use that term. 3) that term is a term used by people who shoot up drugs, its ehat they call the act of shooting up. Most growers dont shoot up or associate growing with shooting up. Why subcool does? Thats obvious take a look at the guy how he talks and looks... mo surprise he thinks about shooting up in relation to growing... sub is a tard though all he did is mimic how they grow outside by snipping off tops, he didnt make any amazing discovery, thats how i grew my plants on my very first grow jist by observation, that was before i had so much info.
Thanks for your logical, well thought out and informative post.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:50 AM #45
OG Expressions
Banned

OG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura aboutOG Expressions has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart169 View Post
Thanks for your logical, well thought out and informative post.
They asked i answered honestly. Its not a real gardening term its what 1 single wacko calls pruning... he act like he invented it, no he didnt people been growing like that forever he just had to apply a junky name to pruning a certain way trying to take credit. Some of us find it a tad idiotic. He should leave terms associated to shooting up where they belong, with the dregs.
OG Expressions is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:46 PM #46
Junk

Junk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of lightJunk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart169 View Post
Can you elaborate why? Have you done it?

Only one reply from someone other than me who has said they tried it. If any of the naysayers have tried this type grow it would be nice to hear why as long as its from experience.
I have been doing it for a long time. Imo, it's the way to grow. I scrog it though to get the separation I want, which is almost as important for yield/quality. Mainlining and scrog are not mutually exclusive, you can use both.

For a true mainline, you would have the plant like pictured above. Thats' essentially what I do. But I don't notice a difference when keeping quality branches that aren't part of the manifold. It seems to be the same. The plant will still send most of it's "energy" to the tops.

So I create the manifold, but if I see strong side branches that are reaching the canopy, I leave them now. We spent the time growing them, if it's a good branch, why toss it? Essentially I think the benefit of mainlining is in creating so many tops, and then allowing them to get most of the energy. But they don't need to get ALL of it for it to be worth it.

If you want to run plants this way, it's an enormous asset to know how to fim. I don't know how to teach you other than search, trial and error. I can't even do it consistently. I fim the fim lol.

Alternating nodes isn't really a problem. The manifolds will not be as clean looking, but the differences in length don't cause issues. Some tops will just grow a bit taller than others, but it's minimal. It won't be absolutely symmetrical, but L will usually be a mirror of R (if that makes sense).

So I'm not truly mainlining anymore. I just top for 4-8 tops depending on the strain, but there is almost always a side branch or two that I keep. So I'm just topping really. What I'm trying to say is that mainlining is the right idea, but imo, some side branches are worth keeping. With my setup, it doesn't seem to be worth it to remove it. Maybe in soil or a slower medium I would feel differently.

In a scrog, growing this way, this is what it looks like at the end of stretch. And imo, it's the best yield/quality. As you can see, they grow pretty evenly. This is 6 plants. All alternating node. Should be 24 tops total (some are out of frame)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160125_113446.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	423674
Junk is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:40 AM #47
Crusader Rabbit

Crusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant futureCrusader Rabbit has a brilliant future
Node; The position on the stem where leaves or branches originate. Each step in the cannabis ladder is a single node.

Alternate; Borne singly on a stem. Each alternate leaf/branch emerges on the opposite side of the stem from those on adjacent nodes.

Opposite; Borne in pairs, two at each node from opposite sides of the stem.

Typical vegetative growth sports two opposite leaves/branches at each node. Typical flowering growth shows alternate leaves/branches.
Crusader Rabbit is offline Quote

Old 08-17-2017, 03:59 PM #48
Easy7

Easy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really nice
Getting weird stalk formations was a first plant interest. It really has little performance factors. Takes time to get strange growth. Indoors and out veg is a timed run. Indoors veg is the most expensive phase, unless you dial down lights. Rather focus on bud that dries and smokes well. It's the end product and the performance to get to that, that matters. Although perhaps creativity will prevail and reveal some sort of increased performance. I'm more budget and ease of growth minded. It would have to be cheaper or outweigh costs with yield.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:08 PM #49
Manchineel

Manchineel is on a distinguished road
OP, My most successful mainlined/ manifolded plant I had was also a Liberty Haze.

I'm surprised at so many people getting on the back foot when this is a good topic and one a lot of people would be interested in.

If you mainline a mother from seed then you get symmetrical internodes on clones when you take the tops, making manifolding these girls easy. Obviously the side branching is not so. Foliar spray the tops for a few days leading up to the cuts to lower nitrogen content so they root faster. Bigger clones from tops means less veg time and faster mainlined plants next time.

It is good, though something different, for an outdoor grow if you continue to create more tops. But do this indoors preparing for the outdoor season. When it's time to go outside, transplant and harden off. you get the idea. Then when it continues vegging during the outdoor season you can bend and train, cage it or supercrop the bejesus out of it to create an even bigger tree.

I love manifolding. But I only grow for me so I have the time and patience and I just love learning all the training techniques.

Like you said, if it's just for you, go for it. I really do love pruning this way. Keep experimenting.

Sorry, I don't have a photograph of my Liberty Haze as I am living OS right now until March with no laptop, just my phone. If I stumble across this thread again when I'm back I will post it up.

Another benefit to manifolding is you get a nice solid branch at the bottom so the colas will a majority of the time be supported as the stems are also thicker.
Manchineel is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 PM #50
Easy7

Easy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really niceEasy7 is just really nice
I like alternating nodes for light penetration and I find that sexy. That's the one thing I dislike about seed plants as well as they start slower than clones.