in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Defoliation questions

Thread Title Search
Click to buy Cannabis Seeds at Fast Buds
Defoliation questions Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2017, 03:36 PM #61
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
A lot of sativa types benefit more from topping/caning/pinching or a combination of those. Sometimes I just poke all the canes in, tie up the main branches and wrap the scrag branches around like garland on a Christmas tree.
Mikell is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:43 PM #62
Junk

Junk has a spectacular aura aboutJunk has a spectacular aura aboutJunk has a spectacular aura aboutJunk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikell View Post
A lot of sativa types benefit more from topping/caning/pinching or a combination of those. Sometimes I just poke all the canes in, tie up the main branches and wrap the scrag branches around like garland on a Christmas tree.
What is caning?
Junk is offline Quote

Old 08-09-2017, 06:18 PM #63
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant futureMikell has a brilliant future
Canes, Bamboo Canes.

Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 AM #64
Loc Dog

Loc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loc Dog View Post
What about removing yellowing top leaves, about 2 or 3 weeks before harvest?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.ph...0&postcount=24
It wound up being fusarium wilt. Had to pull plants 2 weeks early and still lost a couple of ounces.
Loc Dog is online now Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 11:19 AM #65
Loc Dog

Loc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud ofLoc Dog has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibechillin View Post
For the record i would still train/defoliate in a vertical system.

Vertical growing is all about efficiency, more usable light from less light sources. 2 600s are ideal, or a 1000 for tops and a 600 for lower.

Heath Robinson claims he yielded 4lbs from 8 Mr.Nice Shit strain plants in a donut around 2 600 watts lights, 1.493 grams per watt.

You place a box fan at the bottom of the lights and blow the hot air straight up away from bulbs, heat rises away quickly.

Bulbs emit light in 360 degrees and the farther the light travels or has to be reflected the weaker it becomes.

In an empty room an overhead 600w hung in the center of a room has an effective footprint of 3x3 right below it.

The same 600w hung vertically in the center of the room illuminates a 3x3 footprint on every side now instead of only on the floor.

We are talking about circular vertical grows
View Image

Plants put all their growth towards whichever side has the light.

Putting each plant the same distance from the bulbs arranged in a circle/donut allows each plant to be encased in maximum lighting from top to bottom and all through the canopy.
How do you work on the plants in a circle, if they can not be moved? I use tents so probably will not work, unless I used 2 X 600 watt bulbs. How high would you do a circle of plants with 8 foot ceiling? Saw this awhile ago, and just can't figure out how to make it work. Thanks!!
Loc Dog is online now Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 01:06 PM #66
Ibechillin

Ibechillin will become famous soon enoughIbechillin will become famous soon enough
I wouldnt worry about having to move the plants to work on them, Honestly they could probably benefit from being rotated 180 degrees every 6hrs of lights on if really bushy.

Ive really only thought about trying this in open rooms where i can maneuver around them, it would probably be pretty easy for a few trees/bushes to overgrow a tent.

Plant heights will depend on strain and how you train/top the plants. Indica dominant strains would probably be preferable because they tend to stretch less.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:16 PM #67
Robney

Robney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the rough
Defoliation experts I have a question for you: I did a heavy defoliation around week 5/6 on a starkiller og growing in organic soil (aact) and it seems to have pushed my harvest back by at least 2 to 3 weeks (I would have normally harvested a week ago). I think I left enough on (pretty sure theres 2-3 leaves on each top) and just took off fans. Does defoliation normally push the the flowering window out further or did I do something wrong?
Robney is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 PM #68
GMT
I am, therefore I think

GMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud ofGMT has much to be proud of
Given the performance of a car goes up as the weight goes down, why not take the engine out and make it really light?

Your leaves power your plants growth.
GMT is offline Quote

Old 08-11-2017, 06:36 PM #69
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

How much do you sell leaves for?

Heavy defoliation that late will stunt growth as you have seen. Better to do the majority of work right before flip and around week 3 depending on cultivar/growth/health etc.

Working donuts isn't tricky. Work at night or unplug lights as you move through the room.

I try to spin plants once a week.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 PM #70
Robney

Robney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the roughRobney is a jewel in the rough
Good to know, thanks for the information everyone!
Robney is offline Quote