Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > LED Grow Lights > LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Thread Title Search
Click to visit Best Value Vacs for extraction devices
LED FAQ) Building and DIY Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-04-2017, 06:36 PM #1421
Koondense

Koondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of light
Koondense has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
What's your budget?
You can build wirh cobs, smd's or just household leds.
Of course all depends on your goals and budget.

I suggest you start with just ordinary house led bulbs, remove the covers and place 4 attachments in all 4(or at least 2) top corners of your box. Combine 3000K and 4000K, the target with these bulbs would be around 50-60W/sq ft. Should cost you 15-50£€$, depending where you live.

Cheers
Koondense is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM #1422
SureThing

SureThing is on a distinguished road
I really like this post!
SureThing is offline Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 PM #1423
Seshwan

Seshwan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koondense View Post
What's your budget?
You can build wirh cobs, smd's or just household leds.
Of course all depends on your goals and budget.

I suggest you start with just ordinary house led bulbs, remove the covers and place 4 attachments in all 4(or at least 2) top corners of your box. Combine 3000K and 4000K, the target with these bulbs would be around 50-60W/sq ft. Should cost you 15-50£€$, depending where you live.

Cheers
Hi Koondense,

Thanks for the quick response. I don;t really have a budget per se, I am building a PC grow box at the moment and from what I am reading a DIY light using COB's would get me the best lighting possible in such a small space due to heat/space requirements. Is my understanding right?
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 01:41 AM #1424
Seshwan

I think I have decided that I am going to go with these - https://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut3126

Do you gys think that 5 would be sufficient for a 1.1 sq foot space?

I work that out to be somewhere about 6000 lm/sqf am I right?
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-09-2017, 07:18 PM #1425
Seshwan

I am going to use 5 of those strip[s above. Just trying to find a driver for them now.

Could someone check my figures to see if this driver would work?

LED strip data -

Current - Test 350mA Temperature - Test 50°C Voltage - Forward (Vf) (Typ) 22.1V Lumens/Watt @ Current - Test 156 lm/W Current - Max 700mA CRI (Color Rendering Index) 80

I will be running them at 350Ma

They apparently run at 7.7W per strip so for 5 would a 60W driver suffice?

There does the voltage come in when specing up a driver? Apologies for the stupid questions but I am just learning this stuff
Seshwan is offline Quote

Old 10-18-2017, 03:45 PM #1426
Dion

Dion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshwan View Post
I am going to use 5 of those strip[s above. Just trying to find a driver for them now.

Could someone check my figures to see if this driver would work?

LED strip data -

Current - Test 350mA Temperature - Test 50°C Voltage - Forward (Vf) (Typ) 22.1V Lumens/Watt @ Current - Test 156 lm/W Current - Max 700mA CRI (Color Rendering Index) 80

I will be running them at 350Ma

They apparently run at 7.7W per strip so for 5 would a 60W driver suffice?

There does the voltage come in when specing up a driver? Apologies for the stupid questions but I am just learning this stuff

they rnt really that good value, better off going with 2 vero 29 and on an HLG 120 36A

for just a bit more money you have a light that is expandable way beyond what you need now but dimmable down to silly efficiency in the meanwhile
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
Dion is offline Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 01:18 AM #1427
Arf

Arf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura aboutArf has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
they rnt really that good value, better off going with 2 vero 29 and on an HLG 120 36A

for just a bit more money you have a light that is expandable way beyond what you need now but dimmable down to silly efficiency in the meanwhile
COBs are essentially the same LEDs that are used in strips except clumped up into a little space a few cm across. You have to then muck around with placement to get the light to spread out evenly, usually requiring a fair bit of vertical space, a luxury you don't have in a 17" PC case grow that Seshwan is attempting.

I have tried HPS, MH, fluros, CFL, and half a dozen different types of COBs in 3-4sq. ft. micro grows, and the strip LEDs beat them all.

I spent around $100 all up for 15 x 280m Bridgelux strips, a 180w 12v power supply, and a couple of eBay boost converters to get it up to 22.1v, and my light meter tells me it's the most even setup I have ever had.
Arf is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:05 AM #1428
Boyd Crowder
Teem MiCr0B35

Boyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud ofBoyd Crowder has much to be proud of
Boyd Crowder has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf View Post
COBs are essentially the same LEDs that are used in strips except clumped up into a little space a few cm across. You have to then muck around with placement to get the light to spread out evenly, usually requiring a fair bit of vertical space, a luxury you don't have in a 17" PC case grow that Seshwan is attempting.

I have tried HPS, MH, fluros, CFL, and half a dozen different types of COBs in 3-4sq. ft. micro grows, and the strip LEDs beat them all.

I spent around $100 all up for 15 x 280m Bridgelux strips, a 180w 12v power supply, and a couple of eBay boost converters to get it up to 22.1v, and my light meter tells me it's the most even setup I have ever had.
sounds legit

"You want to make a living in this business you need to know your ABC's. Always Be Cool" - Boyd Crowder

My Grows:
Bodhi Super Snow Lotus -Ongoing
Karma Biker Kush 1.0 2.2k Organic Circle Jerk - Done
Official Bugman Testers & Pics Thread - Ongoing
Thinking Vertical 101: The Build and Grow - Hangout/Current
Certified Noob Recycled Organic Soil Test Grow A Rama Done
GhettoGrow - Beginners Journey to Harvest for less than $1500 Done
______________________________ _
Tests:
gravity vs ultra snow storm vs bloombastic hoedown showdown growdown - Delayed till 2018
______________________________ _
Boyd Crowder is offline Quote

Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 PM #1429
Koondense

Koondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of lightKoondense is a glorious beacon of light
Koondense has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
I agree, for micro growing these strips should be perfect.
When spaces get bigger i think cobs are better and probably cheaper too.
Koondense is offline Quote

Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 PM #1430
Dion

Dion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the roughDion is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf View Post

legit indeed

how much did that set you back?
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
Dion is offline Quote