What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs on buds

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

therevverend

Veteran
I look at these animals and they look more like aliens to me. If you went through life colored in psychedelic dazzle you've got to be pretty high yourself.

NENugger

Great closeup and thanks for the info @neongreen. :)

Instar eh? I'll check it out.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats a hairy spider patmando! Great shot! Are those poisonous?

pdx pipedream- Love the little fly who looks like a bee. You're right. Doesn't hurt anything! Just enjoy the company!

Thanks for sharing guys! :smoke:

No spiders are poisons all spiders are venomous. It brakes down the insides of bugs so the spider can drink the juice out of the bugs skin. That's why you see little dried up bugs in a spider web. Most spiders are harmless to people, maybe just leaving a small pimple like welt. This is some kind of jumping spiders and are not dangerous at all..... I think!

neongreen

Veteran
I wonder what this one was doing lurking out on my leaves. It didn't look like it was doing any harmful.
View Image

I often see hoverflies feeding on pollen, but sometimes it seems they just like to perch. Some species are very territorial and will chase away anything in their air space, nearly always coming back to land in the same spot much like dragonflies. Great fun to watch.

I doubt they do much harm, if any, and they are useful as pollinators, so I'd be inclined to encourage them.

:tiphat:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
picture.php
picture.php

What are you guys doing to get such awesome in focus pictures of bugs? My crappy camera wouldn't even focus on this gold one, I think cause it was so shiny. I had to focus on the leaf next to it.

Its hard sometimes. I use my phone and sometimes put my hand close to the bug and focus on my hand then the bug. But I go through alot of pictures of one bug until I get a good one. Alot of times I will take 20 or 30 shot just to delete all but one.

neongreen

Veteran
View ImageView Image
What are you guys doing to get such awesome in focus pictures of bugs? My crappy camera wouldn't even focus on this gold one, I think cause it was so shiny. I had to focus on the leaf next to it.

Being shiny shouldn't make a difference. It could be that your camera can not focus very close - check your specs. Some cameras have a macro mode which you should use.

I don't use point & shoot/consumer cameras any more, but when I had one, it had a manual focus mode which I would use for macro shots. I would just set it to it's min. focus distance and shoot once my subject looked in focus.

Auto focus has never been much use with small subjects. It tends to hunt around and then focus on the background rather than the subject, especially if the subject is only a small part of the whole image. Better to focus manually and place the focus exactly where you want it.

For the extreme close up shots I use a DSLR with a specialized 65mm lens which only focuses at distances which correspond with 0-5x magnification, on a tripod. It's completely manual focus, so I have to move/nudge the tripod to focus.

It could also be that your camera has the ability to focus close, and your subject is in focus, but the subject (or you/the camera) is moving or vibrating, making it look out of focus.

The slightest wind, touching the plant which your subject is on, or even breathing too hard can result in the above. The closer you get, and the more the magnification, the more this becomes an issue.

Bad lighting will exacerbate the problem because you'll need a longer exposure, and long exposures are more prone to camera shake and subject movement. If anything moves during your exposure then it will look blurry/fuzzy, similar (although only superficially so) to how it would look if out of focus.

It's probably not the issue you are having, but you could take a few test shots with the camera steadied against a solid surface in good (bright) light to see how close it will focus.

:tiphat:

Vesnican

Now that's what I'm talking about that's a great shot vesnican! I love ladybugs!

Patmando, you should see me when I spotted that ladybug on my plant! Sprint for camera bag, super fast unpacking and quick shooting before she flies away.

Thank you for this thread, I love to contribute :tiphat:

buzzmobile

Veteran
It's not a bug but I discovered this guy the other morning in the basement.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P9241561.jpg
    P9241561.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 17
  • P9241560.jpg
    P9241560.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 20
M

metsäkana

im pretty sure its not bug but there is not thread for cancers on stems so here is one :D IMG_3184.jpg tell me what it is lol

Patmando, you should see me when I spotted that ladybug on my plant! Sprint for camera bag, super fast unpacking and quick shooting before she flies away.

Thank you for this thread, I love to contribute :tiphat:

Your contributions are always welcome and appreciated vary nice shoots.