What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Specifics of Growing in Australia

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Good article... but no mention of possums!
Possums are my no.1 problem...

i havent had any trouble with possums and cannabis in australia ,
they are little buggers though and once they get a taste for something they are relentless ,
however with cannabis in later growth im pretty sure its not so tasty for the possum , early sprouts might be palatable, they are at the mercy of many things ,

anyhow , we used an electric fence run off a solar panel ,
quite a challenge for the possum , they usually touch things with their nose first ,, ill bet its a bit of a surprise ,, gave me enough of a one stepping over it once ,, omg .. lol ..

N

noyd666

years ago there was an overhanging tree next to house and possoms would come down on long branch with there weight and let go !! BANG THUD !! land on roof and go back another way , think they were trying to get at young sparrows. big fat brushtail.

Jesco

they are little buggers though and once they get a taste for something they are relentless ,
however with cannabis in later growth im pretty sure its not so tasty for the possum , early sprouts might be palatable, they are at the mercy of many things ,

quite a challenge for the possum , they usually touch things with their nose first ,, ill bet its a bit of a surprise ,, gave me enough of a one stepping over it once ,, omg .. lol ..

:) I'm electric fencing my fruit trees before spring, the possums literally got all the fruit from my 33 trees this year...

I can absolutely assure you too that they will eat cannabis at any stage, I've lost many pounds of heads to the bastards :/
I grew a Blue Cheese two years ago and the plant grew much larger than expected, I tried everything to keep it 2ft below the top of my cage (11ft) but no luck. They got every last top cola... sigh.

It's strange though, sometimes you will have a year where you have little to no problems and then the next year you get hammered by possums.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I feel for you man
they are relentless little bastards ,
the amount of work they create for me is unbelievable ,
thankfully my guys don't seem to like cannabis ,
but anything else they will gladly either eat or destroy so its not useable for any other animal ...
I was just debating how im gonna keep them off some Roma tomatoes i want to plant,
likely end up with individual cages with netting over each , im gonna get that possum one day ...

Pumpkin

Veteran

I've had this both ways. One place I lived in the resident possums would taste is, and then they never wanted to taste it again.

The new place I am in they cost me quite a bit of money. Floppy fence, they figured that out... cadges, they would eat everything growing out of it. They absolutely love the stuff, seedling or full flower. Destructive fuckers, would just leave you with a stalk. Electric fence was the only way to solve it. I earthed to the chicken wire and ran an electric wire around that. I imagine it is one hell of a shock for their small body. It fried a few spiders.

Latest posts

Latest posts