What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush x Pre 98 Bubba (reversed)

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a 5 pack of the VerdantGreen LVPK x Pre98 Bubba fems about a month or so ago. As this run is finishing up a week from harvest now, I started germinating the seeds for the next run about a week ago.

Didnt have the best of luck on these so far. Out of 5 seeds I had two no germs, two runts, and one good seedling. Nursing the runts along though they will take a bit longer to get going proper but I really want to see as many pheno expressions of this cross as I can so I am keeping them around.

Also have 4 Rare Dankness The OX seeds I started hoping to get a nice male out of the 4 to hit up these LVPKxPre98s with a little pollen, also would make some OX F2s with some OX pollen while I was at it. That is the idea at this point if all goes according to plan.

Here are the seedlings on day 3 from seed(sprout).

picture.php

In the little veg cab with others

picture.php

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
A little update of the seedlings on day 7 from seed

The one runt seems to be growing normal now although slow. It came out of the shell with what looked like a dead growth tip but a few days later slowly grew out from the base of the first set of leaves and seems to be making normal nodes now just small and runty still.

picture.php

The good looking seedling

picture.php

The other runt which oddly enough was the first to sprout has weird looking first set of leaves and an extremely tiny growth tip in the center of the node, hoping she straightens out for me and starts growing proper soon.

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool they seem to be sorting themselves out a bit. they should get a bit quicker as they get some roots down. the last one looks interesting.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks HZ! there are a couple more test grows of this cross underway as well if you check the threads in the forum.

VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pics from day 11 from seed, PB3 is growing as fast as the other seedlings I have started, PB1 is tiny and runty still, PB5 has started growing out better although a bit smaller than her peers but atleast growing proper so far.

The PKBKs are the two little seedlings in the back and the nice seedling in the center. The other seedlings are The OXs and 4 clones of Sugar Kush x Chemmy Jones for anyone wondering.

picture.php

picture.php

PB1

picture.php

PB3

picture.php

PB5

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent! no1 looks like a blueberry seedling or something, looking at the very new leaves it may well straighten out with some TLC. keep in mind that it will probably be drinking less water than the bigger plants, it wont like sitting in soggy soil.
rest of them all look really happy now.
VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent! no1 looks like a blueberry seedling or something, looking at the very new leaves it may well straighten out with some TLC. keep in mind that it will probably be drinking less water than the bigger plants, it wont like sitting in soggy soil.
rest of them all look really happy now.
VG

Ya I hear ya VG I think with enough time she will grow out of her runt spell. Shes not the first runt Ive had and nursed along and more often than not they are good phenos, people throw out weak seedlings all the time and no doubt have tossed some amazing phenos out without even knowing it. To me its worth the work to try and see what comes from them.

Ive been watering her less quantity and also less often a few times too since shes weak still.

Good looking out though, glad you are interested in watching the grow shows you actually care about your work and enjoy seeing whats locked inside the beans your making. :tiphat:

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
not at all man, its always fascinating to see my gear grown out - especially as i have so little space for testing.. i always grow a few out before i release something but cant do big numbers. Its interesting because this cross seems just as inbred as many ways as the bubba S1s - which supports the idea that the bubba and PK are quite closely related.
The PK for me is like bubba mixed with a sweet berry strain like blueberry.

Hash Zeppelin if i recall correctly is a big fan of the PK so he might chime in about it too.
I dont know it as well as the bubba which i like better - but many people prefer the PK it is probably a bit better yielder.

VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Transplanted the seedlings to their final container, 2 gallon grow bags of amended and cooked recycled organic soil. Also got them under 160w of 3000K LED so they should be picking up a little speed soon.

The runt is still doing its odd thing at its own pace, last I looked she had two heads, what a freakshow haha. The other slower paced one had a weak root system compared to the rest of the seedlings during transplant. The runt barely had any root system visible on the bottom of the cup during transplant.

I very lightly dusted the holes with some Azospirillium and Mycorrhizae powders during transplant.

Anyway here they are on day 14 from seed, they are the two on the right and one in front.

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking nice, fingers crossed to runty one will enjoy the extra root space. These afghan/hashplant types tend to stall very quickly when the roots hit the pot sides so they should put on a nice growth spurt.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Was watering today day 17 from seed so took a couple pics. They are the one in back right and middle right and the runt in front center.

picture.php

picture.php

Closeup of the mutant/runt/twin thing. Looks like after the first set of single blade leaves the stem formed into two siamese twin stems that come up connected together in the middle to the next node where they split off at 45 degree angles in opposite directions. Shes damn slow to get going too still growing at an extremely slow rate.

picture.php

If she doesnt hit a growth spurt soon I will keep her vegging in my little veg cab while the other start flowering if it comes to that and just run her next round or put her in the flower tent whenever shes ready if there is room.

Johnnyseed

Was watering today day 17 from seed so took a couple pics. They are the one in back right and middle right and the runt in front center.

View Image

View Image

Closeup of the mutant/runt/twin thing. Looks like after the first set of single blade leaves the stem formed into two siamese twin stems that come up connected together in the middle to the next node where they split off at 45 degree angles in opposite directions. Shes damn slow to get going too still growing at an extremely slow rate.

View Image

If she doesnt hit a growth spurt soon I will keep her vegging in my little veg cab while the other start flowering if it comes to that and just run her next round or put her in the flower tent whenever shes ready if there is room.

The good thing about runts/freaks , is that they always give out something with a crazy characteristic.

The last runt I had, gave me buds that would stick to my hand like duct tape. Crazy.

Good luck growing.

Ps. Growing to be a huge fan if Vardent Green. Will be ordering solely from him. SOON.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 21 from seed the Purple Bubbas are the row on the right. They had been under 24 hr lighting until two days ago I switched to 18/6 to help induce a little stretch and I also threw in my completed red & blue LED bars, the 660nm deep reds should help them to stretch a little too. The are real strong thick stemmed with about 6-7 nodes and just staying compact. Going to pull 2 cuts off each seed plant before flowering them but still another at least a week or two veg for sure.

I had also defoliated two large fan leaves from near the top of each plant a few days ago to allow a bit better lighting to the branching sites.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lovely little plants bt, all of them!

impressive amount of side-branching, sometimes these type of genetics can be really hard to get clones off without topping but you'll have no problem there. not sure whether thats the genetics or your grow skills but its good whatever :)

the runt, its definitely thinking about it now :D it would be cool if it turns out to be awesome in some way, stranger things have happened for sure.

i always liked the addition of far red to LED's , defo speeds up flowering response.

did you pop the seeds all at the same time?

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
lovely little plants bt, all of them!

impressive amount of side-branching, sometimes these type of genetics can be really hard to get clones off without topping but you'll have no problem there. not sure whether thats the genetics or your grow skills but its good whatever :)

the runt, its definitely thinking about it now :D it would be cool if it turns out to be awesome in some way, stranger things have happened for sure.

i always liked the addition of far red to LED's , defo speeds up flowering response.

did you pop the seeds all at the same time?

Thanks VG.

I popped all of them at the same time and they all sprouted within a day of each other.

I usually/nearly always top my plants but Im kind of scared to top these since they are vegging a little bit slow compared to most anything Ive ever grown. The main stalk is stacking nodes very tight together and the side branching on some is growing and stretching up a bit while the tops of the main stem is just staying short and stacking nodes really tight.

The one PB in the back right is the most vigourous of the lot for sure and is branching out and growing taller faster than the others.

I wonder if I should top them to increase yield, I have never grown Bubba or any Bubba dominant or hybrids but I am seeing the short stocky slow vegging everyone talks about. Like I said I usually top all my plants and get several main colas which more often than not increases my yield over a single cola plant. Does Bubba grow a big cola untopped or will I be best off topping to get several decent colas out of them like I usually do on my plants?

Im just a little wary about topping them at this point I dont want to set myself back more in veg Id like to get these into 12/12 in by 35 days from seed (5 weeks) which is 2 more weeks.

Any advice to top or not, I want to top but am just a little wary on these like I said. If it will increase the yield over a single cola then I will top them all tonight and let them branch out for 2 weeks or so before flipping them to 12/12. Just not sure how the Bubba grows in single cola form but most Bubba I see grown is topped or scrogged for a better yield so I am leaning toward topping depending on your input.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey BT these afghan type strains are really different as seed plants, they stay short, often without branching much either. i would say if you can take cuts then you might be better to grow them out untopped to check them out and then grow any that you want to keep out from clone, when they will behave a bit more like the plants you are used to.

but if you want to maximise yield on this run then topping might be worth it if an extra week or two makes no odds.

VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey BT these afghan type strains are really different as seed plants, they stay short, often without branching much either. i would say if you can take cuts then you might be better to grow them out untopped to check them out and then grow any that you want to keep out from clone, when they will behave a bit more like the plants you are used to.

but if you want to maximise yield on this run then topping might be worth it if an extra week or two makes no odds.

VG

Thanks VG your the man :tiphat:

You just posted pretty much exactly my thoughts on the situation. Continue to veg up to 2 more weeks, taking two cuts off each before flowering then. I can grow/veg/train said clones to a humble size before flipping them if I want to run some again next run otherwise Im going to keep mini mothers of my favorites.

I have a bunch of other excellent seed stock to go through too though, so if I find something really great this run I might pop a clone in next run but want to try out some other strains I got my hands on some seeds of recently.

Cant wait to see what I find in these LPVKxPre98s and the OX seeds, should be some dank regardless of pheno.