What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New boy sign up

Twiz

Hi folks, just a quick hello from an old smokin' fool who only recently joined this forum.

I have only ever sown seeds that came from commercial dope where quality is a bit hit and miss.

Last year I grew five plants which all turned out to be male which got me thinking about how to ensure that I didn't waste another year.

So this last season I raised my seeds in punnets and transplanted them into six inch pots about a fortnight after germination. A month later I grouped the pots together and covered them with a very large upended black plastic pot, which had the drainage holes covered over, so that they only received 12 hours of light. Within 2 weeks they began flowering and I discarded the males and ended up growing 9 females that I am going to spend the next year enjoying with my friends and neighbours.

Although I have heard of people cloning plants to ensure that they are growing females I have never read of anyone doing this before. Surely, I am not the first person to do something like this.

Anyway, here's a pic. It was taken about three weeks before harvest and the buds are not like some of those huge buggers I have seen pictures of on this site but they sure are sweet.

IMG_0046.jpg

Awol/CoA

Nice grow you had going there mate. I wouldn't mind having
something like that in my backyard right now. :cool:
What strains did you end up planting, champ..?

Although I have heard of people cloning plants to ensure that
they are growing females I have never read of anyone doing this before.
Surely, I am not the first person to do something like this.
I use the same type of method aswell mate, works like a charm. :yes:
Lately I've been using this method to look for a NLxBB male to breed
and haven't found one in the last 7 plants I've grown, I'm down to my
last 3 NLxBB beans, so here's hoping.

Again mate, welcome aboard and
hope to catch up with on here soon...
Greetz, Awol.

Twiz

I have no idea what strains I grew AWOL. As I said above I have only ever sown seeds that came from commercial dope that I have smoked over the past couple of years. I do intend to grow some named strains next year and am looking for something with a high THC content that has a heady stone rather than a heavy body effect. I'm told that Indica types are the ones to go for, any ideas?

treble

Hey twiz
full indica will give you a heavy stone (couch lock) if you let them finish all the way. The resin is going to go amber in color. At some point between early clear/white resin and amber in colour will give you a higher high. Get a magnifying glass or jewellers loupe to check your buds out before harvesting.

Sativa strains are the more lanky strain and give the higher high. Wanna party, laugh your face of, laugh until your guts hurt over completely dumb shite then Sativas it. Same thing applies on the colour of the resin. I find some of the Sativa strains buzz are shorter and I get less effect after smoking this strain type regularly (read a freaking lot of bowls in a short time) for a few days. Shorter less intense buzz if ya buze it.

Sativa dont grow as dense buds usually. What you have there looks to be a sativa dominant strain to me but with some indica. It might be the timing of your harvest that has the most impact on how that strain smokes. Check out the grow and harvest threads here for more info.

Can I ask if you tied those down? They look like they are? If not I'm guessing about 3 feet tall there which isnt bad for stealth... below the fence line an such

There a many mixed strains out there that are either happy high but nice bud production as well. If you google for 'smokers guide' you should find a site with many reviews of strains on the market - a guy from A'dam who reviews various strains on the mkt. I use this to research and seedboutique as well. There are a few reviews from seedboutique customers about what they have purchased on Gypsys SB site.

I am doing a couple white rhino now and I have some ak48 as well to do. I chose these because they look like a good mix indica/sativa and I hope to get indica yield with a more sativa up bent.

I started a grow diary to keep track of what I'm doing with these. More for me than anyone else really cause my brains full but your welcome to check them out and see what happens. Might help you decide

I wont ask you where your doing this all, but at a guess it looks beautiful one day and perfect the next to me.

N E way. welcome to here
treb

Twiz

Hi treble, the indica/sativa plot thickens.

I've read that Indica is the way to go for a high trippy stone while also reading that sativa is the way to go. Maybe I am going to have to grow one of each and do my own research. I do like to pick some top heads just as the hairs are starting to go brown and save them for my private bin. These are always the best smoke.

That plant in the foreground is actually 3 plants which are planted in a triangle about 18 inches apart. They are not tied down as such but they do have a devise that bends them away from each other. I tend to plant a little late in the season so that the plants don't grow to tall. Now that I can guarantee 100% females I might plant even later.

I am in Paradise but not that one.

Rattrap

Hi twiz, welcome. Its always good to see other aussie growers about. Cloning is defenately the way to go. The only time i go to seeds is when i want to try out a new strain then i'll take cuttings from the best & keep it as a mum. The only down side to that is u wind up with too many mums that u just can't bear to part with! LOL. Rooting MJ cuttings is the easiest thing around & those small peat pots called jiffy pots are the easiest of all.
Rather than planting later u could always tie them down. Do a search here for LST or Low Stress Training, it works great i use it all the time. It will also give your plants plenty of time to mature fully & get a good root bed grown before flowering starts.

Twiz

Thanks for the welcome Rattrap

I cloned a couple this year which I just harvested and understand what you mean about mum's but I don't have the facilities to keep a mum going over winter so I'm stuck with seeds.

My next grow will be from new seeds I will order from seedboutique and Spring can't come quickly enough.

So far as planting later I don't mind the wait. I find that plants started in October grow big enough for my purposes and by then friends and family have stopped checking out my yard to see what is happening. ;)

treble

Twiz
you might be able to run a mum in a pot under some fluros. i have heard 70 - 100 watts is all thats needed. You dont want them to "grow" just plug along so you can pull clones as you need em

doing from seeds good to tho
cheers
treb

Rattrap

yep, you're spot on treble, all u need is a tea chest & 1 or 2 compact fluros from the local hardaware store or shopping centre & a timer. All up it shouldn't cost u much more than $50 (AU) It will be enough light to keep a mum growing slowly which is all u really need. I have a 4 ft bank of 4 fluro tubes where i keep 4 mums plus clones & i'm regularly having to cut away & throw out cuttings.

Twiz

Thanks for the good info guys.

I'll have to give that a bit of a think.

"It is better for the world if a man plants just one seed than if he becomes a politician"