What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Webber & WilliamsF1 ?

Awol/CoA

What do you guys think about Mark Webber at WilliamsF1,
do you think he'll stay onboard and renew his contract at year end?

Personally, I can't see Webber staying with WilliamsF1 next season.
The move sounded good, but given the results it seems the team's
gone stale and Ford Cosworth don't seem up to the job of creating
a reliable engine, even though Ford made the most successful engine
in Formula 1 - Ford Cosworth DFV V8 (first used by Lotus in 1967).

We all know that Fernando Alonso's going to McLaren next season
and Kimi Raikonen is going elsewhere aswell, so maybe there's a spot
for Webber at Renault. It is a likely chance Webber could go to Renault
as the Renault F1 team manager, Flavio Briatore, is Mark's manager, so...

Anyway, I hope it gets better for Mark soon 'cause the car itself is
working good, but Ford and Cosworth are a joke in recent times...

Awol.

Last edited:

treble

ooo Awol
not gonna flame ya but I dont think it matters where MW goes in terms of team. I dont really think he's got what it takes you know.

I realise he's the only aussie in F1 since AJ and it takes a lot to get to F1 - no doubt..... but really the guys a nunce. Sure he's got the square jaw going on and all that but he comes across as limitted to me. Read that as you like but all the interviews I've seen with him tell me he is out of his depth.

I would like to see him in a better car but I dont see where he is going to get that ride. I dont think he is Renault material unless he has shit loads of sponsors to bring with him or renault decides Oz is its main market and Mark is gonna help them make it big,

With all the hot teams, Renault, Ferrari and maybe even Toyota who might.... might just one day get their shite together and stop self imploding ..... the only way I see MW making a championship is if he does a Damon Hill, getting a car that can make up for a lack of talent and all the other treams drop the ball for the season.

It could happen. I hope I havent offended you. Just dont think he's got it. Of course I would love to see an aussie up there but I dont think it will be Mark. As to who it would be, I dont know. Does Will Power have it? hmmm he's still very green so not yet I dont think. I dont know any other aussies in the open wheelers who are at that level but thats not to say there arent any in the European series or the Atlantics. Dont know.

There were a couple of seriously hot prospects in Formula Ford here last year so it will be interesting to see how they go this year. Dont know names, just remember a couple of seriosly talented drivers from what I saw on speedweek.

interesting question tho, interested to hear what you think or others do about future Aussies in F1.

cheers
Treb

Awol/CoA

I agree with you man, Mark isn't championship winning material, yet anyway.
But he does have race wins and podiums in him, which is the same as what I
see in Kimi, Juan, Massa, Fissy and Ralf, so he's in good company.

Not sure if you remember, Mark did have a chance to go to Renault,
but he chose to go to Williams instead, he was probably partially persuaded
by Oz public opinion due to AJ's success with the team and the fact Renault
wasn't a successful team at that time. So it's not an impossibility that he
could get a chance to drive for them.
Probably the next driver to get a seat with Renault is Jarno Trulli, but Trulli isn't
doing so great lately and seems to be a fading prospect. Other than him, there's
nobody with a real good chance of getting a seat.

As for other Aussie talent... I can't see anybody on the horizon who could
get into Formula 1, except maybe James Courtney, but he'll be rather rusty
in open-wheel after he finishes his current stint in V8 Supercars.
If anything, new Aussie open-wheel talent would go to CHAMP Cars
due to Team Australia being a decent, and often Top-5, running team.

Toke On Dude...
Awol.

treble

nice to cross paths with someone who clearly loves their motor sport. My memory's a bit faded but I do recall the whoo ha when Mark made F1. I didnt realise he had the Renault choice. He might be kicking himself now... which makes me wonder if thats whats tempering his attitude at the moment.....

I agree Trulli is fading, which I think is a bit of a shame for him. He showed some real potential. There was also a fair bit of upheaval in the last 2 seasons when the ... I guess 2nd tier teams? and minardi changed hands. Perhaps that unsettled a few drivers like Trulli, I dont know.

Yeah and your right about Champ, it makes sense for Team Oz to be feeding in local talent to that series. I hope that CART can get the comp back to what it was say 4 years ago. I dont have cable so I dont have access to the IRL which leaves just F1 and Champ plus V8's for me. Almost enough motor sport... nearly.

I'm looking forward to see how Marcus gets on in Nascar. I hope he does well, he's focused enough I think. No doubt Billy and Crommers will keep us up to date on how he's going.

take it easy Awol
treb

Awol/CoA

treble said:
nice to cross paths with someone who clearly loves their motor sport.
Yeah mate, I'm a motorsport nut. When there's a race at my
local (Oran Park), I rarely miss an event, be it truck racing or other.
I'm spewing that OP's going to be closed down and moved else-where.

My memory's a bit faded but I do recall the whoo ha when Mark made F1. I didnt realise he had the Renault choice. He might be kicking himself now... which makes me wonder if thats whats tempering his attitude at the moment.....
Probably man, I know I'd be rather pissed in Mark's current situation.
Especially so when you consider Fissy won the Oz GP last year and
Mark's probably thinking that could of been him and a dream come true.

Yeah and your right about Champ, it makes sense for Team Oz to be feeding in local talent to that series. I hope that CART can get the comp back to what it was say 4 years ago.
I think CHAMP needs more locals (yanks) in the series for it to get back
to the good 'ol days. I noticed when I was watching the Long Beach race
that there was only 2 Americans in the entire field, which was a shock to me.

I'm looking forward to see how Marcus gets on in Nascar. I hope he does well, he's focused enough I think. No doubt Billy and Crommers will keep us up to date on how he's going.
I'm no fan of Ambrose, but I hope he does well also, mainly so he can
show those yanks that Aussies can do well over there on concrete and
asphalt Speedway circuits, just like we do on their dirt tracks.
But when I think about it more, it was the Ford factory that got him a seat,
not a team, so I'm inclined to think it's part of a plot by Ford to boost their
image in Australia, because what ever they do, they can't seem to out-sell
Holden, even with those 3 current V8SC championships and the 'best car'
awards they've got recently.

Hey man, just wondering... Are you into bikes (MotoGP, SBK, etc.) ?

C'ya round champ...
Awol.

treble

I can see what your saying about Champs driver mix. The Champ guys have/had a really big following in South America, they are a pretty parionate bunch so I figure Champs looking to at least keep that going. Having said that lots of the guys from that part of the world who were in Champ went to IRL. Castroneves and so on.

I dont see a lot of them there now though...... perhaps I am confused... or they have moved on.. Tagliani, Junqueira as still in Champ so thats ok by me

Marcus was pretty ... how can it be said... self focused perhaps which is why I think he will do well in the States. Thats how those people are so he will fit in nicely. I lost most respect for him when he went toe to toe with Greg Murphy.. I think it was Greg..

yeah your right about Ford I think... will take time to see if it helps them. I could be tempted for the Tubro 6 I think based on what I have read... sounds like a nice piece of gear

I have to say I'm not into bikes as much, other than what I see on RPM about Superbikes and MotoGP. Having said that come winter I'll watch just about anything motorsport, F1 Champ V8 Superbike and m/GP WRC, Did I miss any... even Dakar - I was a fan of Andy so was very sad when he left us.... even the guys at work were a bit down after me giving them daily updates for the last few Dakars on how he was going...

Dissapointing about Oran park but I thought it got a reprieve this year or was that winton?

Are you a bike rider... do you get down to philip island?

cheers
treb