What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fat Bubba, Bubba Bx1 and Bubba Kush IBL

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
excellent Von! yeah im very pleased with how these are growing. Plenty of vigor so far... they are only in 1.5 litre pots too. i'll repot the girls as soon as they show and usually that in time for them to fill out even more as they start to flower.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
here's the male i have my eye on. quite short, pretty even internodes during the stretch which is unusual for a male. the leaflets are slightly teardrop shaped like bubba.
picture.php

picture.php

the other males were all much taller than this.

VG

V

vonforne

Fat Bubbas

Fat Bubbas

Ok, I will tag along with this thread for a while with my new Fat Bubbas.

Perfect germination rate on these!!!!!!!!!

10 for 10 in less than 5 days. I started these seeds in a paper towel and plain water on the 30th of June. Last night I had 8 open with tails and this morning the other 2 were open with tails. Long ones too! I have placed them in beer cups with a 50 to 50 mix of EWC and peat with a touch of perlite. No pictures as of now but will do some weekly updates as I go along.

I have mixed new soil for these to go into soon. Later on as they grow I will post up what the soil mix is.......most of you know.

Thanks VG. I am looking forward to this one.

V

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice one von. ive got 4 girls a week or two into flower, just in 1gallon pots but they should give us an idea of what to expect. i'll try and get some pics up soon.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
very nice work! verdant g,,they are going to explode when you transplant looks like any of those five could take the space over,,looking forward to these six weeks down the line,,peace and regards s2

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
420giveaway
Hi VG

That sour bubble male looks killer, you never know, you may even end up improving on the original bubba cut.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with this project.

Peace

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks mate, yeah i hope it might bring something too.

here are the girls about 2 weeks into flowering in 1 gallon pots
picture.php

picture.php

and the boy that i chose.
picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we've had a setback on the male front because that lovely lookin' boy was a jaffa - no pollen. i have already discarded the other males but they werent what i was looking for anyway.... so i guess i'll crack some more seeds in a couple of weeks and keep looking.

the girls are shaping up nicely for saying they are in small pots (less than a gallon)
3-4 weeks in.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so, the make i selected turned out to be sterile - it just didnt produce any pollen!

back to the drawing board - i'll have to pop some more seeds and keep looking. the girls are looking almost ready and at least i'll get to see what the smoke is like. i'll post up some pics before i chop them.

VG

Piff Rhys Jones

🌴 Hugging Trees 🌴
Veteran
420giveaway
Sorry to hear about the slight setback mate. No worries, it's all part of the process. I'm sure an even better specimen is waiting to be found.

Good luck with your future selection. Looking forward to the smoke reports on the ladies too.

Peace

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks Piff, yeah it will be good i some ways growing another dozen or so out and giving them a bit more space than i had this time round. i'll check that sterility isnt a common fault amongst the boys too. perhaps i'll keep some btranches in water from the males to make sure they all drop pollen ok.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so, the 4 females were chopped yesterday at around 8 weeks. they were covered in mites - even webs on the tops - been away a couple of times this summer and has no time to look after them properly.
that said, i am more convinced than ever that this is the right out-cross for the bubba. the smells on two of the plants were very bubba-like and all the other smells were close to that and kushy. slightly more leafy buds but very frosty and bigger nugs than the bubba S1s i grew in the same sized pots (despite the mites!). the calyxes stacked quite nicely which would be a great trait for the bubba to pick up. nice purpling on the leaves and buds.
next i will be popping another batch of seeds to find a fertile male and also i'll make F2s because i may use an F2 for the bx, and also i think this cross may be worth line-breeding in its own right. i also want to keep all the males to make sure the infertility i encountered last time is not a common problem.
i took some pics after i'd cut the ugly mite infested leaves off.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i'll be sending in some seeds next week and i think there may be enough seeds to send 5 or so packs of fat bubba F1s. these will be the only F1s released, im pretty sure my attempt to make more didnt work as the fatboy pollen was no longer viable.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol, its been used in a few crosses though for sure!

the 'fatboy' SB male from leptosoma/crazy monk genetics is very fertile - was fine when i used it for the initial fat bubba F1s... but i think it had already been stored a while and they dont tend to like being re-frozen.

the fat bubba male i chose first time simply didnt produce pollen at all, so we'll see if that was a one-off on the next round.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah ive been following vons progress with the fat bubba in the organic community thread and the FBs are looking amazing. (as do the rest of his plants! )

ive been smoking some and its lovely. a couple of the four girls i had have that bubba incense thing on the exhale which is very enouraging. note of more musky scents too, one smells quite like Deep Chunk. high is relaxing, not too couchy (although i took these on the earlier side) quite cerebral.)

VG