What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wardrobe - Light leak & Security lock

Hey I recently built a new grow space inside a wardrobe/closet. Its a closet with a single door. I need to get some kind of lock-system that is stealthy and easy to build. I have been searching on the internet for a solution but I can't find any. Do you have any recommendations? I also got a light leak problem. I've put weatherstrips around the door but its still leaking some light. Any suggestions?

Drop That Sound

Weather strip on both sides works good. You can use some small washers to shim the door hinges out enough for clearance to get the extra foam strips in. If they are adjustable inside cabinet hinges you could easily move the door out.

There's many types of locks and latches to choose from, depends on what kind of closet your working with, are you wanting to actually lock it with a key?

ronbo51

Veteran
I just bought a house that has a whole wall of cabinets in the garage that are exactly what you have. I was going to modify one of them for growing but ended up doing something different, but before I did I had the cabinet details figured. The key is those hinges. They are a bother and make it impossible to effectively lightproof. What I was going to do was install a 2" frame all the way around the inside of the cabinet 1" to the inside of the hinges. This leaves enough room to have an interior door that can easily be lightproofed. Either a piece of 1/2" plywood or foam insulation board will do. Plywood will warp due to the moisture on the inside so use primer and paint. Foam will not warp but is more fragile and needs to be handled with more care. A couple pieces of velcro will hold the door in place. I was also going to divide the cabinet for equipment and vegging which allows for separate doors making them more manageable to pull off and set aside when viewing/working.

So, from the outside it looks legit. When you open the doors you see the plywood/foam doors. As far as locks go, I was not going to lock it since no one will ever be in my house without me. But simple shit like piling up a few typical garage items on top and in front makes it pretty much disappear.

Drop That Sound

Ya you need to makes some door jam stops basically, or should I say face frames.... the thicker sticky back weather stripping could work for that. Make is so the weather stripping on the door hits into it. Like I said 2 pieces butting together makes a way better seal. Do that on the 3 sides without hinges.

As for the side with hinges, just make a flap that covers the whole inside gap from the cabinet to the door, that can flex and bend when you open and shut it. Essentially covering up the whole gap and hinges on that one side. You could just staple some dark fabric, or use thin black foam, and staple it on.

Speed of green

can you access the top of the cabinet?

you could put an L bracket on the door and have a pin that slides down through the top of the cabinet into the bracket.

That should keep kids and short people out

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I use a electro magnet lock and surface mount neoprene gasket
in an aluminum track.

Lightproof and shit is tight when locked.

Stealth is not cheap, lol

Easy7

Veteran
Easier to secure the door to the room that the closet is. At least more secure.

Also try to find a tent to fit in the closet. It's good for light leaks and it's a closed enviornment for a filter and fan.

Wow guys, thank you for the tips. I think I will try to add one more layer of weatherstrips to prevent lightleak and to airseal it. Maybe have to add some kind of frame where the hinges are, like Ronbo said. I'm not sure how to lock the wardrobe yet. I will do a further research.

can you access the top of the cabinet?

you could put an L bracket on the door and have a pin that slides down through the top of the cabinet into the bracket.

That should keep kids and short people out

Can you explain more or show me some kind of picture. It sounds good. I actually have my room locked where the closet is standing but sometimes I've visitors and they tend to ask whats inside the "walking closet". So I want to be able to just open it without worrying about the closet is opened.

Speed of green

Can you explain more or show me some kind of picture. It sounds good. I actually have my room locked where the closet is standing but sometimes I've visitors and they tend to ask whats inside the "walking closet". So I want to be able to just open it without worrying about the closet is opened.

Not an arts and crafts expert, but here it goes.

Im sure you could find an easy way to lock the pin.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Drop That Sound

By bigger do you mean its a double door?

Either way, I've noticed that taller cabinets with thinner materials, especially non framed (mdf?) doors don't seal into the foam as well with one door lock\latch. Anything that flexible and over 3-4 feet tall really needs 2 or more latches to evenly seal the door.

For example if you put a lock at the top, the bottom of the door on the non hinged side could bow out and leave a gap. Even if you put the lock in the middle, then the top and bottom can still pop out.

One way to remedy this problem is to screw a cheap piece of slotted angle or aluminum C or L-channel or something on the inside of the door, from the top to the bottom near the edge to help reinforce the door, or possibly even mold it into shape some. Then you could put one lock in the middle and be good.

911a1894-5d75-4cb0-a344-592b075a3fce_1.74979336a14e9722ebee0bc10b41f82f.jpeg

everbilt-bar-flats-tubes-rods-802417-64_1000.jpg

everbilt-bar-flats-tubes-rods-802667-64_400_compressed.jpg

Easy7

Veteran
If I grew in my closet I would have to hide the lock itself. Sound is the biggest issue after smell. Just opening the tent would take forever to cleanse.

Plus I only have 20 amps for the two bedrooms and the ac (12,000btu) is on that...a low wattage tv, dvd, and slme lther things like lights. The basement will have 40 amps and maybe 60. If I ever in the lotto i can rip some lf my work out and out in a titan controller for just enough room against the east wall for 2 4x8 guerillas. But let's face it, that will likely be over any possible legal limits. I'd get by on whatever weed and try to be happy with that. It's making the hash that will get ya feeling flirty with disaster.

By bigger do you mean its a double door?

Either way, I've noticed that taller cabinets with thinner materials, especially non framed (mdf?) doors don't seal into the foam as well with one door lock\latch. Anything that flexible and over 3-4 feet tall really needs 2 or more latches to evenly seal the door.

For example if you put a lock at the top, the bottom of the door on the non hinged side could bow out and leave a gap. Even if you put the lock in the middle, then the top and bottom can still pop out.

No its only one door but its a larger closet. 60x60. Yeah, I got that kind of problem. I used double weatherstrips (on top of each other) and still get some leakage. If I press with my hand on the door in the upper area, it leaves a gap on the bottom. Hmm, I have to figure this out.

Drop That Sound

Here is another idea.. fabricate a whole new light proof fabric wall, with a roll up velcro or zipper door.

Just like cutting off the front of a grow tent, but instead made from scratch, with cheaper materials. Put it maybe a half inch back in the cabinet.

Simply staple and tape it up, or use tack strips for extra support. When you open the cabinet door, with speed of greens L bracket and lock pin method ^ ;), it would basically look and function like you stuffed a tent in there.

I suppose you could just use panda film or something, but it would look nice to mimic a tent I think. As long as it does the job, and keeps the light in, and out.

Speed of green

you could put one bracken on the bottom side, and one on the top. its kinda double the hassle but if you were having guests or something you could latch both before they come over.

good luck, Post pictures when its complete please!

Drop That Sound

You can add another smaller flap to cover the zipper area, most tents do that. A little bit of velcro can help hold them down.

You could put a viewing window in too, so you can look in without opening it ;)

You should have some negative pressure with an exhaust fan and carbon filter anyway right?