What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Coughie House

Coughie

You'll probably see a wider range of flowering times next year... not sure what genetics you re working with but that's a good sign if all the males flipped over at about the same time..

It won't be the case, for the next couple years lol.. eventually you should be able to get back to males that all flower basically together like that, but things will probably go crazy before they tame back down

~star~crash~

C99 were the males and their sisters finished in 63 days solid line comparison ...the moms were 8 week strains and one 10 week strain ...plus i had some clone onlys that picked up a dusting (Sour D & Trainwreck & Diesel Fire & some others)

Coughie

So yeah, the females of this generation will contribute to a broadening of the flowering times of the males in the next generation. It wouldn't surprise me to see some recessive traits come out as well, possibly in the second or third generations, broadening those times out even farther..

In which case, I would expect to see males that are both earlier and too-late. It'll be your judgement to make the call on who's early and who's not, and then mother nature will decide who's too late because their seed wont finish.

What you could do, if you didn't want to leave it entirely in the hands of mother nature, is you could do some looking into the weather in your area (I'm sure you probably know some of this already), to pinpoint things like how fast veg growth is, when stretch starts, how much they stretch, when flowers begin to form, and when you'd ideally like to harvest either because it's convenient or weather-determined.

When you know that, you can select winners and losers based on what you're seeing when you visit the plants. If you have a date that you wanna select for them to start forming flowers on, and you visit the plants a week past that date - and they're not, then you could pull them. You can pull the plants on a specific date every year and the seeds that dont finish would be from males that took too long to flower. There's numerous ways you can apply selection to the population, if that's something you're looking to do. That's if you don't want to let mother nature determine things. I wouldn't do any heavy selections for at least the first three seasons though, give the genes time to mix before they start getting killed off.

Coughie

Forbidden Fruit
Day 73

picture.php

Lots more to do, yet
Far from done..

She seems to stretch forever,
Side branches like crazy,
Flowers fill in from the bottom up

Here's some lowers that have filled in

picture.php

picture.php

And some tips doing the stretched-foxtail thing

picture.php

picture.php

She's a wild one,
But the smoke is amazing

Coughie

So I'm looking for suggestions or some help..

I've came back to this thought repeatedly as I've pondered my breeding ideas, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of something like what I'm thinking of, or has any additions as to what could be included.

So what I've been thinking is to make a form, for myself to fill out.
A form for phenotypical expression, essentially..

Date
Strain Name - What it's called
Genetics crossed - What it's made of + Generation

Veg
Germination Time - Days
Growth speed - slow/medium/fast
Leaflets per leaf - 5/7/9/11/13

Flower
Amount stretched
Week stretch finished
Overall shape - globe/christmas tree/spindly
Flowering time
Yield
Outdoor Harvest Date

Mold resistance
Pest resistance
Drought resistance

I had a document started, that I can't find now, and I'm sure my frustration is clouding my judgement and limiting my ability to think of the rest of the parameters, but its basically an amassing of data for every phenotype of my crosses that I flower out.

My thinking is, that this data will provide the opportunity for objective analysis of phenotypical and genotypical information provided over time, which when coupled over time with a lab notebook, will give anyone that has access to the data the ability to essentially walk themselves through my findings.

It should help with identifying dominant and recessive traits, or gene linkages, that I may not even be paying attention to.

I can also provide proof for how stabilized future breeding lines will be, as I'll have the documentation necessary to be able to give a statistical answer to "can i find XYZ pheno in 10/20 seeds?"

There's ways to digitize it into an electronic form and have those forms feed into a database, and the database can then be sorted in various ways to help make sense of the data. I believe, using the right programs, you can even use the data base to compute percentages and make the charts and graphs used for statistical analysis.

The document I was working on, and can't find, had a lot more lines on it than what I've typed above, but I thought I would throw this out to anyone who keeps up with my thread, hoping that you guys/gals might help me to flesh this idea out

I can share my finished product/form with anyone who thinks they might find it useful as well.

Any help would be much appreciated~!

djimb

Veteran
At the very least, an excell or Google sheets spreadsheet would give you some of the functionality you're looking for. More complexity can be found with an SQL server with the ability to take input from forms. I've been planning on doing something similar to keep track of my own results in the future. It would make analysis of all the phenotype data much easier than using pen and paper, and having the ability to filter for specific traits in the data would make it much easier to make decisions about which plants to cross to achieve the results you're looking for.

Coughie

Exactly!

I'm working with Excel right now, just to get a rough idea of what I'm capable of tracking observationally. I found my document, as well.

I'll have to do some self-teaching about the data-basing aspect but I think it's worth the time due to the practicality that it brings to the ability of gathering the data. It's essentially necessary for any of this to be "worth it".

Pages and pages of data only does so much good, unless you have a way to analyze it.

Thanks for chiming in, djimb!

mushroombrew

Veteran
Here are a few ideas. I will pop back when I think of more.

N requirement high/low?
Mag requirement high/low?
Stem rub terps?
Node spacing?
Topped/Untopped?
Flower Density?
Flower Terps?
Resin High/Low?

Coughie

N requirement is a good one but would have to be determined by a growing method other than mine. Or would take frequent soil testing, lol. Mag is kinda in same boat, good thinking though.

Node spacing is a good one, just need to determine a standardized place to measure it

Flower Density is a good one, dunno how I missed that one lol; have shape and coloration, but forgot density!

Terpenes and resin, I was thinking about covering in 'smoke reports', another set of data involving finished flowers and consumption, that could also be statistically analyzed.

Thanks for pitching in, mush!

djimb

Veteran
One of the great things about an SQL database is that you can keep track of things in separate "pages" essentially, and link them all together. So you could have a DB for each plant, listing parentage, germ time, whether it's a seed plant/clone/reveg, and any other traits, then you can have a separate DB for each grow cycle, showing environment variables like light, temp, soil mix, etc, and how each plant responded to those variables. You could even do separate DBs for terp profiles, or any other collection of variables to link to the grow cycle DB, and then when you run a query, you can tell it to make a temporary DB with your results that pulls data from all of the linked DBs.

From what I've found doing a little googling, PostgreSQL is generally said to be the best, most capable free Database Management System. I haven't looked into it too much, as I haven't been able to grow for a while, but hopefully you'll find it useful.

here's the website: https://www.postgresql.org/
and a guide for using it: http://www.postgresguide.com/

Coughie

I've been trying a system out, using MS Access, MS Excel and probably MS Word in the future.

The way I'm sort of seeing it for now, is a MS Access database - I made a template, then I'll add information to the template and use Save As to preserve the template while saving data as a new file - for each population.

The Access program allows you to create a 'Form' to input data into, like say you have employees that input data but dont want them to have access or manipulate the database itself. So I still need to generate a form and make it look how I want it to, but I can use that form to input data. So the form will have a box to enter in data for each trait that I'm tracking, and submitting the form to the database then enters the data for that entire plant.

So I'm thinking that I'll compile databases by populations in MS Access. I can then take those compiled databases and copy/paste them into MS Excel where I can statistically analyze the information.

I can do analysis both within a population and from population to population. It will allow me to tease out dominant and recessive genes/plants within populations, or to see how two populations might cross. I can also run t-tests (MS Excel has the function built in) to generate p-values, in order to see the magnitude of statistical difference between population and their traits.

When populations have become statistically different from eachother, and then IBLed separately, I can then compile population data and statistics alongside pictures of those traits in MS Word documents to generate a finished report worthy of printing and saving in sheet protectors in a binder (hard copy).

The seed will be worthy of sharing with others, at that point.

As a side note, the information is also powerful enough for me to use the information about dominant and recessive genes within populations or individuals selected for hybridizing, and be able to (in a limited capacity) hypothesize the traits of a particular crossing between two IBL's. If I know the mother population is dominant for flower size, terpenes and turning purple, but dad's population is dominant for stretch/lack thereof, fan leaf shape, long petioles, etc.... I can hypothesize with some certainty, that in that cross I can find a fair number of individuals that will express all those traits. Enough so, that I should be able to make that cross work, if that was my intention. Like I was crossing two F7's, say.

Coughie

Forbidden Fruit

Day 98:

picture.php

Things are filling out, continuing the trend of filling out from the bottom to the top. No where near done yet, not sure how long she's going to go at this point. We'll find out how long she flowers together; I've always harvested her waaay early before this (harvested amongst multi-strain runs)

picture.php

But there is progress, because these next pictures are the same lower flowers from the last update post, and you can see how the flowers down low are definitely maturing. The horizon/level of maturation is just around the level of the trellis and slowly creeping upward. Here's those lowers:

picture.php

picture.php

There's something about that second picture, that appeals to me.. It's sort of symmetrical without being perfect, and covered in frost.

Just a small update on my favorite lady :dance013:

Coughie

I was messing around with the camera, so I took some pictures of what I'm smoking:

Durban Bubble x Velvet Rush F1
(Durban Poison x Blue Moon Rocks) x (Highland Thai x Afghani #1)

picture.php

picture.php

It's an interesting plant with a high that is mostly in the head, and flavors that are a bright-fruit. I'm way more excited to look into the F2 generation because of the diversity though. I'll get to those one of these days.. Too many beans, not enough space!

djimb

Veteran
I don't know why I didn't think of Access. Having the feature to make forms must be really useful. I was looking for a similar solution for postgres, but all I could find was info about making forms with php. I like your solution better. A bit more exporting and formatting, but a lot less coding. I'm excited to see what comes of your efforts!

Coughie

Forbidden Fruit
('The One' x NL5Haze)

Day 112

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And the same lower bud I've been showing all along; it's pretty much finished.. You can see the progression from bottom to top in the two pictures above

picture.php

Looks like another week or two to finish her up properly..
Atleast, I'm hoping she's done in 18 weeks...

Coughie

I've opened up my pictures for some unknown amount of time, to see if I can attract a few more faces to the party here.

I harvested the Forbidden Fruit (The One x NL5H; not the Cherry Pie x Tangie cross someone put out after I started using the name) the other day, and it occurred to me that I never posted the pictures, despite getting the pictures uploaded to ICMag the same day.

So here she is at 123 days:

picture.php

picture.php

This second picture is a branch over 28 inches long.. which isnt bad, considering it comes from a 4x4 tent glowing from a single 315w CMH.

Here's a small flower that got trimmed off accidentally

picture.php

And then we get in there, for the close ups!
This is as good as my camera can do until I get the macro lens and ring light

picture.php

And this is the best my camera + photoshop - first i viewed the image in "actual pixels" and then cropped it.. So the 24MP of the camera shines, but it's still not macro quality.

picture.php

She was fire when I pulled her at 12 weeks, some of the best smoke I've ever came across. This is my first time running her to her full glory, and I'm actually nervous about smoking her..

I'm more of an indica-leaning hybrid kind of fellow, so 17.5 weeks is more than a little intimidating, but we'll see!

She turned out absolutely beautiful and even faded a little for more, but I did cut the water off a little earlier than anticipated - I think she's a solid 18-weeker.

Latest posts

Latest posts