What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Coughie House

ipot

worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Coughie

Well, here's to bringing this thread back to life!

:smoke out:

Fell off the map for a while,
Life got crazy, but it seems I've survived

I'm not really sure where I left off, in all honesty,
I'll have to read back and see if I've filled in any gaps that I left hanging open; i've learned a lot and have new questions - forever moving forward.

So the two flower tents are both running 315W CMH lamps, using conversion kits that are mounted in Magnum XXXL Gen 3, 6-inch air-cooled hoods; these two tents have individual carbon filters that flow into the hoods and come together in a 6" wye between them, which then runs to a 6" inline fan, through a duct silencer and vent into the room above the tents.

Each tent has a 150-gallon Smart Pot, 44" diameter & 22" depth, with individual trellises made of 3/4" pvc pipe, some screws and some fishing line. The Smart Pots are still filled with the soil mix I outlined in an earlier post.

Both tents are currently in seed runs of different genetics. One tent has two different ladies in it - one I call 'Forbidden Fruit' and another that is Durban Bubble x Velvet Rush - and some Durban Bubble x Velvet Rush male pollen.

Forbidden Fruit:

picture.php

Durban Bubble x Velvet Rush:

picture.php

I transplanted them small and pollinated them early, so that's why they look as weird as they do.

I'll get to the other tent in the next post, but I also want to talk about a few other things going on.

I was sent some GG#4 cuttings a while back, and finally have 3 of the 5 of them growing. They spent a month in the aerocloner with no action, but the aerocloner became contaminated with a white fungi, so I had to clean it out and let it go dry for a few days. In that time, I shoved the cuttins into dirt, kept them well watered and figured they'd either survive or die. The bottom three are now growing:

picture.php

And then I've started some seed; 10 Clusterfunk (Chem '91 x '88G13HP) and 4 Jawa Pie (Key Lime Pie x Alien Abduction) survived.. The CF are the 10 on the left, with the KLP being the 4 in the upper right. I had a few more KLP in those three empty pots but they didnt make it, so it's just the 4 now.

picture.php

Coughie

The other tent has the same 'Forbidden Fruit' lady, and 4 Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush ladies, and I just transplanted in the small Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush males.

Day 27:

picture.php

Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush #2:

picture.php

This one appears to be showing the color of the Blue Mystic, with a decent stretch and looks like it'll yield well, so this will probably be one worth keeping the seed of.

Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush #3 & #4

picture.php

There's two plants in this picture, and both appear to be shorter indica-leaning phenotypes which are rather undesirable. So these two might be culled shortly.

Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush #5:

picture.php

This one stretches like mad, but we'll see how it yields. Really vigorous and strong growth. I actually had to supercrop it out of the light, because it stretched up to touch the glass even after spreading it across the trellis. Time will tell whether this one or the first one are the better genetics for use in directing the overall line. This one is a looker though.

And then here's the male clones I snuck in there to make seed:

picture.php

So, being made are:
Forbidden Fruit x (Durban Bubble x Velvet Rush) F1
Forbidden Fruit x (Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush) F1
Durban Bubble x Velvet Rush F2
Blue Mystic x Velvet Rush F2

The Clusterfunk & Jawa Pie will need to be sexed and selected next

And then, as always, there's more seed to come.
Mazar x Guerrero is getting popped next, and maybe some NL5 x Neville's Haze or some Mr. Greengene's Cherry Bomb. There's a few other options that I'm considering as well.

After a handful more seeds, it'll be on to popping and open-pollinating several landraces.

Hopefully some of y'all join me on the journey,
It'd be nice to turn this thread into something productive

Coughie

Coughie

Harvested all the seed, still working on sorting it.
There's quite a bit.

Clusterfunk got tossed.
Jawa Pie, I'm trying to get clones of.

Damn cloner..
Had some debris fall in it, a while back, and been hell ever since.
Just recently though , I thoroughly cleaned it and am trying another round of clones.
Cleaned the reservoir, cleaned the top, put in new neoprene plugs, and ran bleach through the system for two days before flushing it out and putting clean water in it.
We'll see what happens.

Took these clones on the 13th, so it's been 8 days.

picture.php

picture.php

Air is 72F
Water is 74F

Pump is on 15-on / 30-off timer cycle
Might switch back to 15-on / 15-off

Nothing is turning to mush, so that's an improvement.
No snot-like, gooey coating, also an improvement.
No roots either, so we continue to wait..

Top right corner is the Jawa Pie cuttings,
4 plants have made it through all my intentional abuse,
Pretty sure the upper-right one is a male.

Top left corner is a couple of my keepers,
Forbidden Fruit & Blue Orca Haze

The bottom, are a couple of the C-Banana S1's from Hammerhead Genetics, that were big enough to be cloned. The other's are getting close to having their hair cut, now, too.

Here's the C-Banana S1's in veg:

picture.php

Left-of-center, in the top row
Far left in the bottom row
.. those are the two that had their haircuts early

Waiting until I get the cloning situation figured out before I pop any more seed; there's only a few things left to go through before I start digging into landraces..

But it's coming! :dance013:

Coughie

Alright 'shroom,

Here's how it's working over here,
There's two of these, almost identical,

4x4 tent
150 gallon Smart Pot
CMH conversion kit
6" carbon filter
6" air-cooled Magnum XXXL Gen 3 reflector
3/4" PVC trellis using fishing line

The 2x4 is for clipping a fan to, and also holds the temp/humidity meter. You can tell what tent I'm showing, based on where the 2x4 is, as they're on opposite sides lol. The tents are side-by-side and the 2x4's are on the 'inside walls'.

picture.php

The Smart Pot has a 44" diameter, and is 22" high
The trellis is roughly 16" from the soil surface, which is an inch or two below the pot
I've had them full before though, they almost seem to make soil over time.

And it's not just transplant dirt, because I fill a container - whatever size im inserting - when I transplant one in.. I dig the hole for it, scoop out the dirt, and put the transplant in. That dirt usually gets used for some seedling or clone, but the process got thrown out of whack with the cloner freaking out on me.

picture.php

And here's the bulb set-up,
You can see the original HPS/MH connector on the left (yolk/butter colored)
Plugged into that, is the converter to CMH (tan colored)
And plugged into the converter, is the bulb

picture.php

My soil mix is explained on page 1 of this thread as well, if you're looking for that at any point.

Hope that helps with what I was spouting about in the other thread. Feel free to liven this place up (anyone), it'll help me post in this more often and possibly/hopefully get the momentum moving to share more again.

mushroombrew

Veteran
Thats great you can pull it of woth 315! I expected 630 in there.
I can see how your mix would last ages in that pot. Nice!

~star~crash~

hello :blowbubbles:coughie

i think i have a chance to work a seedline hopefully to accommodate my needs ...some of my females got hit hard by a patch of rouge culled males that did not die ... the seeds would be a 3 way cross??, or even more??? i can't figure it out .. lets talk:tiphat: the parent plants and the grandparent plants were top notch plants

Coughie

Were all the females the same clone, or sisters, or..?
And the males?

You'll potentially have pollen from each male deposited on each female, which is ideally what you want for the first handful of generations, to increase diversity within the subsequent progeny.

Knowing the beginning genetic donors is important in the idea of understanding what you might be looking at, for a couple generations, with respect to what traits are being expressed. But the farther your move through time, the less important the starting material becomes, unless you're trying to also isolate specific traits.

If you want a broad diversity of expressions that finish in your climate, then open pollination of all the finishers is the important part. You'll get diversity and you'll get finishers, that way.

You can IBL several new lines out of a project this as well. Pedigree will be unknown but once IBL'd, they are what they are anyway - give em a name.

About the only selections I would do would be pulling any super-early males and unstable/hermi females.

It can take upwards of 20-25 seasons to obtain a heirloom that is open pollinated and reliable year after year with minimal human intervention. But keep in mind that the more you help them over time, with watering or what have you, the more the progeny will essentially rely on those same variables to continue to thrive as a population.

What I mean is if you don't water the plants at all, any year, you'll have a harsher selection process than if you want them daily throughout. So who survived and who died will change, and thus change the percentages of who's present and who isnt, year after year.

Hope that's a decent start to wrapping your mind around it all, feel free to bombard with questions, share ideas, etc.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Just found your thread, Coughie! :wave: I'm subbd in now and gonna hang out wit all yall in here. :yes:

Any roots on the cuts yet?

Coughie

Feel free man, the more the merrier!

No roots yet, no.
No snot-like growth or black stems either.

Weird thing though.. I took cuttings that were straight, below the lid.. but they curled after a day.. I'll take a pic tonight to show you what I mean.. it a weird..

Gonna pick up some rooting hormone tonight, and give that a try in the cloner - if anyone has suggested brand or rates, lemme know. New to rooting hormones here.

~star~crash~

help me figure them out ... the plants the (actual crop)were all cross's >>> the dads were 6 sibling brothers from the same seedline, but the mothers were 5 completely different females (genetically speaking) these are the plants that got open pollinated ... so the resulting seed in question are all at least a 3 way cross?? do you follow?

next season i choose the traits i'm looking for ( from obsevation ) and select and only breed those?? and keep doing that

Coughie

So you had 5 ladies, and 6 brothers:

(A x B)
(C x D)
(E x F)
(G x H)
(I x J)

x M1-M6

6 x 5 = 30 possible combinations of mother x father, all polyhybrids with three different sources of influence..

This is more true if the mother's were F1's than if they were, say F6's. IBLing a line removes variation so the grandparents expressions come into play more if they were F1's and the parents expressions will be more dominant of they were F6's.

F1s will have a lot of variation in their offspring so it's sometimes easier to evaluate the parents of the F1 for traits.. meaning the mothers, mom and dad, if you knew them..

Same can apply for the males depending on their filial generation too

Coughie

So what I would do next season, is plant a bunch of every combination of genetics and let them all grow through veg. If you know when stable males flower outside, that's powerful, because I would throw every male out that flowered before that date - they're too early.

Let all the females get pollinated, and let them go through flower with minimal selection. Toss any hermies - gotta inspect often so they don't pollute the genetics/pollen.

Harvest all the females, and then dry and cure them. You can do one of two things then, depending on how you feel. You can keep the seeds from all the females, or keep only the seed from the females you like.

Then rinse and repeat the next year, understanding that variation is gonna get wilder before you start to take anything at all

Some won't finish flowering, some will rot, some will die, some might be mite infested or caterpillar magnets - I would toss all those and their seed.

Only keep what actually finishes to your satisfaction

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
Feel free man, the more the merrier!

No roots yet, no.
No snot-like growth or black stems either.

Weird thing though.. I took cuttings that were straight, below the lid.. but they curled after a day.. I'll take a pic tonight to show you what I mean.. it a weird..

Gonna pick up some rooting hormone tonight, and give that a try in the cloner - if anyone has suggested brand or rates, lemme know. New to rooting hormones here.

Occasionally I'll have a couple that do that too. Not sure why. :dunno: They still root though.

Coughie

Occasionally I'll have a couple that do that too. Not sure why. :dunno: They still root though.

Yeah man, it's weird.
I don't want to get my hopes up, but it looks like I might have some nodules forming on one of the cuttings.. A couple days will solve the mystery.

Edit:
Looks like those are roots..

coughie you got some knowledge ... thank you man:ying:

Anytime man, appreciate the compliment - they're few and far between on this forum lately... Feel free to stick around, pose more questions, etc, etc - more than welcome 'round here!

Last edited:

Coughie

They're seemingly more associated with a reversion to hemp.. left alone entirely , it's thought that our beloved plants would revert back to hemp in a relatively short time, and it's thought to be tied to the early flowering males

AFAIK, no ones actually done it, but that's the idea behind it... letting early males get in on it just appears to be not-enough-selection-pressure and might let the plants to back towards feral

~star~crash~

interesting because the vast percentage of males showed sex in roughly the same time frame, but a few snuck by and did not reveal themselves till much later ??