What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NoSocSlic's Thread for Growing and Learning

N

NoSocSlic

Heres some pics finally

Heres some pics finally

Alright, I decided to cull the ugly duckling. It'll be a good indication of seed maturation for the rest since pollination occurred in the same time span. It frees up space and gets rid of the sucker of the group. Here's the pictures.

N

NoSocSlic

So I taste tasted the culled bud. Out of the 38 seeds the bud produced only 22 were good so some more time definitely will help the rest out. As for the bud I culled. The taste was retched lol. I might as well have smoked a bowl of trim. Honestly I've tasted better trim than that. So for being the dankest smelling plant in the closet originally (now r1 is), that aroma did not translate to taste. The high is mild and sleepy. Not my cup of teas or bowl of weed if you'd prefer.

No worries, I have two up there there that I think are winners.

N

NoSocSlic

Alright I think it has been plenty long enough. I chopped the ladies down today, and have them hanging. The seeds will be plenty mature. I will throw a couple more pictures up when everything is dry, but I will be popping beans soon as well.

Nade420xOG

So I'm getting temps of 82 F with lights on

And 63 F with lights off. It's all within a mini cabinet.
I'm thinking of cutting out a few more exhaust ports and maybe add a fan or is that legit enough.

I'm also thinking of trying to throw some habaneros in there.

Attachments

• 20141209_182404.jpg
    20141209_182404.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20141209_202239.jpg
    20141209_202239.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 15
N

NoSocSlic

I would say ideal temps are in the 75 to 78 degree mark. That is when my plants do the best, but honestly when I have my area sealed up it runs at 86 to even 92 if its hot outside. They would do better if it were cooler than that, but 82 doesn't sound terrible to me. That's about what I run at with my area open. A vent would definitely help but you could survive without it. If you have the resources I say do it. As for the habeneros, I would rather have weed in that space =P

Nade420xOG

Thanks for the input. I'm going to go ahead and cut another exhaust port. Maybe add another fan for MPR circulation.

N

NoSocSlic

Hey Nade! That sounds like it would drop the temp enough. Have you started growing in your cab?

As for my stuff I am skipping the pictures. There's just not much to see. I got 21 seeds from sh1, 28 from r1, and 13 from j3. J3 was the plant that flowered almost a week later so it didn't get exposed to as much pollen. This whole grow officially took 82 days, which is a very short time to wait for the potential rewards down the line. The trade off is I didn't get much bud to smoke. Only enough to try each one.

R1 was the biggest producer of the group. It had a sour aroma that developed during mid bloom. It had perfect Christmas tree shape buds with triangular sugar leaf tips that really made for an attractive flower. The taste, I would compare it to something likes nerds candy. It has a tart taste but I wouldn't say citrus. Its hard to know what the flavor would develop into after a proper cure. I liked it after a 2 day hang dry. It delivered an immediate head buzz when inhaled, and a high that is both uppity and stony in an introverted sort of way. This is the only strain I didn't alter during this grow, and it is a winner in my book so far. We'll see how well it mixes with Sh1, but these seeds alone are worth keeping to me. I am excited to have them.

Sh1 was another good tasting bud. It happened to be the lightest producer. The buds grew with less but larger calyxes. After I removed all the seeds and seed pods, there was very little to smoke. The flavor was sweet, again its hard to tell how it would develop, but it was sweet kind of like icing. It had a mellow buzz that was in the head and body. I enjoyed it. I am more excited to see if the offspring picks up a bit of intensity from its father. Her buds were the stickiest of all three. The resin production was nice and thick and the offspring should have some real potential. I am going to be hunting for a phenotype that picks up the size and pine tree shape buds of its father with that resin production. I think the tastes will make something interesting as well.

J3 was a not my favorite. It had huge dinosaur sized fan leaves. The pistils grew long and wispy. As for the high it actually was good. It was very heady. She pushed resin really hard towards the end of the grow but never had much smell, just a light smell like mango. The taste wasn't very prominent. It just tasted like fresh herb. I am keeping the few seeds just to see what they make, but not involving it in my next run. The next run will be the first two of these, with a longer veg and another pollen chuck. I will be making several more seeds from this and stabilizing the genetics I am looking for. Its time to see who is a winner or not.

On a side note I did smoke a whole bunch of really fresh herb. It wasn't that exciting but I sure was stoned all night.
:dance013: I am looking forward to chapter 3!

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

I am getting ready to start up another grow. My cousin has 4 dream diesel seeds that I am going to procure. I think I will run for seeds again. I'll run those 4, 3 of the sour sat dom seeds (R1), and 3 of the Kush/Sour seeds (Sh1). I would love to father one of the dream diesel plants if I get the chance. I am excited to get things going again!

N

NoSocSlic

It begins!

It begins!

Alright so it took me awhile to actually get this rolling. I was going to get new lights but the money isn't there. So enjoy another CFL grow if you'd like. These are my homemade seeds from the last grow. No names or anything yet. Just testing them out. So far, 12 out of 12 (6 each of two strains) germinated. 11 out of 12 have sprouted. All six from the (R) seeds sprouted and 5 of the (Sh) seeds. The one that didn't sprout is my own fault. It may still bounce back.

My plan is to get these lovelies to about 2 weeks before starting 3 Dream Diesel seeds. Then flipping to 12/12 at 3 weeks. Running the DD's 12/12 from seed and hoping for a male to pollenate everything. We'll see how it goes.

N

NoSocSlic

Hey guys I am just posting one more time so that the next time I do a picture post it'll be on the next page then I can link to it. Not much to update. I removed the one seed that didn't sprout, and I took out another of the (R) plants that was the runt of the litter. I have 5 of each now. I am second guessing seed making and may just run these out to a full yield as a test batch. I still have plenty of seeds of each left. It would make sense to at least see what they're made of before I go any further with the seed making. I would just save the DD's. I am thinking I could run these out, then with the best female of each try revegging just for the experience and pollenating when I reflower. I have also been thinking about trying to section off another area in the closet to accommodate a separate room for males. I wish I had more electrical experience because it would be really useful. If anyone knows a good place to start I would love a recommendation. Until next post talk to you later and happy growing.

N

NoSocSlic

Okee dokee!

Okee dokee!

Here are the little babies at about a week old. They sprouted between 1/26 and 1/28. The 5 (R) are in the back and the 5 (Sh x R) are in the front. Not too exciting yet these first few weeks always go so slow, but the second leaves are coming in now so it should speed up a little this week.

N

NoSocSlic

And dot dot dot

And dot dot dot

Okay! Still not that exciting but they are starting to get somewhere finally. I repotted into their second containers. They are 24oz hefty cups. I repotted very shallow so I could stack dirt up the stem. Now they can actually stand up on their own!

A few leaves are a bit nute burnt from the ocean forest. I should have gotten a small bag of light warrior but at this point they'll do just fine. The third leaves are in with the fourth leaves coming in. I think in about a week I will at least find out who the boys in the group are.

I am going to wait another week then go ahead and start the dream diesel seeds. It'll get me some more of those seeds and get some great genetics mixed into my sour strain. I still have plenty of the originals and f1's set back if I don't like the mix. Eventually I want to have 5 or 6 distinct individual strains. I am working on the up highs now because they are more fun, but I am starting to scout out some good sleepy stuff too. More to come!

Last edited:
N

NoSocSlic

dot dot dot dot dot...

dot dot dot dot dot...

Alright, this week I germed the dream diesel seeds, got them into dirt, and all 3 sprouted today. I had to manually remove the seed casings from two of them which I really hate doing. These seeds are bagseed from some really killer weed. The bud was Blue Dream x Sour Diesel just to clarify. I am excited to see what these babies have to offer. If I get a decent male out of the batch I am going to make some more seeds.

As for the other ten, not too much to report. I bent every one their main stems this week. They were having a lot of trouble supporting themselves. Now that they've repaired themselves the stalks are much stiffer. A few of the plants have knuckled at the bend. I haven't seen any preflowering yet. I expect to see signs of that this week.

Sorry that it isn't more exciting to anyone following. The fun part is around the corner though. I was thinking about topping the 10 plants. I haven't tested them out with regards to training at all, and don't know how they would respond. I haven't decided yet. Other than that, all I am doing this week is watching and waiting. It will probably be two more weeks before I flip the lights. I don't have a set schedule yet. See you in about a week!

N

NoSocSlic

Alright, another week has passed! I'm starting to feel like I have a garden again. Things are looking good. The day after posting last week I decided to top 2 of the (R) plants and 2 of the (RxSh) plants. Honestly, I am not overly impressed with the rate of recovery. The (RxSh) plants did better than the (R)'s did, but after a week the rate of regrowth seems a bit slow to me.

[(RxSh) on the left and a Fuck I Missed (R) plant on the right]

Its the first time I accidentally fimmed a plant. That one is the slowest to recover out of all of them.

This week is probably going to be pretty uneventful. Just more vegging. I will need to get the dream diesels in their 24 oz. cups. Other than that, just another week of vegging most likely. Until next week then, happy growing and thanks for stopping by.

N

NoSocSlic

Well I flipped the lights today (technically tonight). I am going to hold off on pictures for just a bit, I'm hoping males start showing up quickly so I can get them out first, if not then I will get pictures up soon but I am going to drag my feet a few days at least.

N

NoSocSlic

Well leave it to me to say I will wait a few days then not show up for almost a week. I've been waiting on sexing so I can try and clear out a few plants. What are most likely boys are starting to show but I wasn't positive yet so I haven't pulled them out. By next week I'll have the boys out of there. It is looking like it will be 6 females then I still have the 3 dream diesels that will hopefully wait another couple of weeks and start their flower cycle. I think the timing will be right, so if there is a dream diesel male it will father everything. Just a quick picture for now.

N

NoSocSlic

Week 1 of Flowering!

Week 1 of Flowering!

Exciting stuff this week! Everyone has decided what they are, the boys are out and I'm left with 6 lovely ladies (not counting the 3 dream diesels). The first to flower was on the 15th, then one on the 16th, one on the 17th, and the last 3 this morning (the 20th).

I'm worried that some of these plants will get root bound in the small containers I am using. I'm guessing by week 6 they will start looking a bit rough, but hopefully I can coast thru this flower without too many problems.

The only unknown now is whether or not to seed these ladies. I've got the Dream Diesels, but honestly I am leery about using unknowns now because I don't want to pass on any hermie traits. I think I am going to try and separate out a male (that's assuming there is one). I want to try and selectively breed this time.

I also want to retract any previous statements about these plants not training well. They have done quite well, as you can see in the pictures. The one plant I fimmed is now my three headed monster in the back left. It really surprised me. I was kind of worried a week after topping.

To anyone following it is officially flower time, so let's have some fun. As always Happy Growing!

N

NoSocSlic

Week 2

Week 2

Short and sweet, the post not the plants. They are stretching but seem to be slowing down. The dream diesels should start flowering this week or next.

Other than that pretty quiet week.

N

NoSocSlic

Not a picture day, but the dream diesels started flowering today. Ironically the tallest one is a female and the shortest plant is a male. So when you hear you can get an idea of sex by size it definitely is not always true. I had another short plant in the first round that I thought was going to be my runt female, it ended up growing balls also.

Anyway the third dream diesel is going to show in the next couple days. It looks like this round will see a pollen chuck of some sort. I do think I will try and separate the boy out when it looks close to opening to collect pollen from.

A little more info on what I have as far as the ladies go. Most of them are tall and stretchy. They smell great. Very dank, with that smell of a sour weed. I do have a runt. If you remember, the Sh plant I seeded was a runt. Not all the offspring grew to be runts so it must've passed a recessive dwarf trait because one plant is growing out just like it. I wonder if I could encourage this trait by breeding with a dwarfish male? I don't know why I would really want a recessive dwarf plant that produces less, but it could be a useful breeding tool and its kind of cool.

A couple of these plants are already pumpin trichs. The end result will hopefully be frosty sour goddness! Technically one of each strain were earlier flowerers. One should be a sour strain and the other will be my hybrid. Hopefully something of a sour kush. I am definitely going to pollenate the three headed plant. I may try and pollenate One of the R plants just to make something new. There is one I have my eye on already. It flowered early, is already the most resinous, and smells dank. Its too early to know who will be the best in there but that one is looking strong.

N

NoSocSlic

Week 3

Week 3

Alright here is a more formal introduction to the ladies. (R's Left Sh's Right)

You can see stability already in the R lineup. Everything is about the same height. R1 will probably produce my favorite bud this grow. R2 is the three headed monster. The buds are smaller. R3 is looking just fine as well. These should be just like their mama. I am only going to pick one to pollenate, and I'm not sure which. (1,2, and 3 respectively).

The Sh's show more variance. Sh1 is more like its R parent and has a nice looking bud forming. Sh2 is the middle ground. I will most likely pollenate her. Sh3 is the shorty. Other than for comical reasons, probably a waste of time, but for kicks I will also pollenate her. (pictures in next post)

The third DD is male, that is what I'll use for pollenating. I culled the first. No pics of the female, not that impressive. I have her repotted. Only 4 sets of pistils and its much smaller because 12/12 from seed (truly got a little bit of 18/6 but not much).