What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is so bad about Miracle Gro?

F

feral

you know what, youve disrespected nearly every person who has tried to help you out. get the fuck on already.
That was totally un-called for. If you have an issue then put her on your ignore list. Be-rating folks like that is grounds to be banned. Chill out. We are here to share info and learn.

Yeah I like growing marijuana because all you do is plant a seed and the first fuckin harvest. BOOM go out and buy yourself a BMW.

intotheunknown

Veteran
it is, and you know what im tired of people treating others like shit because they dont like what answer was given to them. im saying these things because she has blatantly disrespected many people, not only in this thread but others that she has posted on wanting answers. and simply just isnt liking the answers shes given. many of us have tried to help her, give her pointers, and you know, mainly our opinions. and she, every time had something negative to say about it. im not following anybody around. and you know what makes me sick, is the people who condone this behavior. and im not saying mine was the most appropriate, i apologize. but im tired of the disrespect. were all here to help each other out, not want answers and argue with what people have to say about it. these answers and information are not owed to us. therefore we should respect what if any answers we do get. regardless if you dont 100% agree. so once again i apologize for being a little harsh, 2 wrongs dont make a right. i am simply just trying to make a point. i am here to learn like the rest of us, get good information, and return it, helping others out. not for reputation. not to mention if you noticed, its disabled. not negative. and when i get an answer to question i ask, i sure as hell dont argue, (almost as if i was basically trying to debate it, or start the argument in the first place) Respect.

Snype

Veteran
it is, and you know what im tired of people treating others like shit because they dont like what answer was given to them. im saying these things because she has blatantly disrespected many people, not only in this thread but others that she has posted on wanting answers. and simply just isnt liking the answers shes given. many of us have tried to help her, give her pointers, and you know, mainly our opinions. and she, every time had something negative to say about it. im not following anybody around. and you know what makes me sick, is the people who condone this behavior. and im not saying mine was the most appropriate, i apologize. but im tired of the disrespect. were all here to help each other out, not want answers and argue with what people have to say about it. these answers and information are not owed to us. therefore we should respect what if any answers we do get. regardless if you dont 100% agree. so once again i apologize for being a little harsh, 2 wrongs dont make a right. i am simply just trying to make a point.
She works for Miracle Grow so she has to protect the brand!

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Ok, to respond to the OP -

The MG hate is a carryover from the Osmocote days. Back a while ago, MG didn't have the organic mixes. They contained a time release chemical fert, coated in Osmocote, a protective layer that was supposed to time release ferts over 3 months.

The problem was, it didn't do very well for our application. There was no way to control what was released when. It was usually to hot for young plants, but faded in nutrient availability over time. There was also the issue with rapid break down of the Osmocote that suddenly sent your mix to nuclear heat.

So, you'd end up with new growers that started with purchased genes that were nuked in a couple of weeks, or you'd end up with a new grower that had put months into a grow whose two weeks to harvest plant suddenly burned to a match head.

Obviously, those results did not encourage a new grower. So, the simple answer to 'Should I use MG?" was "NO", just for simplicity.

Now MG is making other mixes and using other nute formulations that are better for our purposes, so you see it cropping up more in grows. But the simple answer to "Should I use MG?" has stayed the same, both because it is ingrained in the grower psyche now, and it is simpler than trying to explain to a new grower the ins and outs of which MG is okay and why. Plus, there are still MG mixes you want to avoid as a grower.

Also, Blaze's grow is not an MG grow, it is simply one component. And to clarify, he didn't make a mix he didn't have to water, he made a mix that only need tap water. He hasn't created a mix that absorbs all it's needed water from the air :D

Oh, and to the person who said hydro was too complicated for a new grower is sadly mistaken. Bucket, air pump, and nutes is hardly a mind-bender.

Ok, to respond to the OP -

The MG hate is a carryover from the Osmocote days. Back a while ago, MG didn't have the organic mixes. They contained a time release chemical fert, coated in Osmocote, a protective layer that was supposed to time release ferts over 3 months.

The problem was, it didn't do very well for our application. There was no way to control what was released when. It was usually to hot for young plants, but faded in nutrient availability over time. There was also the issue with rapid break down of the Osmocote that suddenly sent your mix to nuclear heat.

So, you'd end up with new growers that started with purchased genes that were nuked in a couple of weeks, or you'd end up with a new grower that had put months into a grow whose two weeks to harvest plant suddenly burned to a match head.

Obviously, those results did not encourage a new grower. So, the simple answer to 'Should I use MG?" was "NO", just for simplicity.

Now MG is making other mixes and using other nute formulations that are better for our purposes, so you see it cropping up more in grows. But the simple answer to "Should I use MG?" has stayed the same, both because it is ingrained in the grower psyche now, and it is simpler than trying to explain to a new grower the ins and outs of which MG is okay and why. Plus, there are still MG mixes you want to avoid as a grower.

Also, Blaze's grow is not an MG grow, it is simply one component. And to clarify, he didn't make a mix he didn't have to water, he made a mix that only need tap water. He hasn't created a mix that absorbs all it's needed water from the air :D

Oh, and to the person who said hydro was too complicated for a new grower is sadly mistaken. Bucket, air pump, and nutes is hardly a mind-bender.
Thank you for the explanation. :)

I guess i am not doing an "MG" grow, i am doing blaze's mix. Which i thought was good after reading the board for several months as a lurker and seeing the mix from that thread pop up in a coupe other posts by people saying they are using it. I still think it is good for a noob like me.

Thanks again!

it is, and you know what im tired of people treating others like shit because they dont like what answer was given to them. im saying these things because she has blatantly disrespected many people, not only in this thread but others that she has posted on wanting answers. and simply just isnt liking the answers shes given. many of us have tried to help her, give her pointers, and you know, mainly our opinions. and she, every time had something negative to say about it. im not following anybody around. and you know what makes me sick, is the people who condone this behavior. and im not saying mine was the most appropriate, i apologize. but im tired of the disrespect. were all here to help each other out, not want answers and argue with what people have to say about it. these answers and information are not owed to us. therefore we should respect what if any answers we do get. regardless if you dont 100% agree. so once again i apologize for being a little harsh, 2 wrongs dont make a right. i am simply just trying to make a point. i am here to learn like the rest of us, get good information, and return it, helping others out. not for reputation. not to mention if you noticed, its disabled. not negative. and when i get an answer to question i ask, i sure as hell dont argue, (almost as if i was basically trying to debate it, or start the argument in the first place) Respect.

Strawman argument. What "many people" did i disrespect? What do you consider "many of us have tried to help her"? What is "many"?

The problem is that I asked if something was organic. It is not. I ~never argued~ with that. What i simply did was point out that my mix was good because someone else was using it who was a prominent and knowledgeable grower and i was attacked for that.

Advice was not rejected - advice was heaped on me in the flavor of "go ahead and poison your patients, do you tell them they are huffing with your product"? So GTFO with your change of attitude now that a few people have called you out for trolling me spitefully.

You haven't apologized to me. You basically just called me a fool for not listening to "the many" people giving me advice on something i asked nothing about - and it wasn't advice it was "GrowerGeekieElitism" and yea i just made that up. Telling me what the label on the bag said was not advice, it was presumption of ignorance, and then bringing up academic credentials to compare was purely laughable - this is after all the interwebz where everyone has a Doctoral in Wikipedia and has published their Thesis on their Blahg or Forumz.

So far I have been appreciative of all the advice i have been given, even being told to "wind in my neck". But being called out the way the Grower God "CC" Cuckhold Cooties or whatever is name who called me out was just plain rude, arrogant, and not helpful. I am not a forum noob, my creep detector went off and i reacted before thinking wisely and going submissive, oh well, i pulled my bitch out of my purse and she looks like a shrunken head Brigitte Nielson - so be afraid, be very afraid. I've lurked enough to see him snark in other posts, so i was prepared to cut that cancer out of my ICMag experience and burn the bridge so it couldn't follow me. It was cathartic:dance013:.

If your advice comes with a dose of smug - I'll pass. There are PLENTY of humble, lovable, friendly growers here who are more than happy to help anyone who asks, and they come without the smug, snark, or gigantic E-peen.

Oh, and to whoever said that i have top notch sarcasm, :tiphat:, I try!

Hot damn! I hit 50 posts today! WOO HOO!:jump::jump:

smokefrogg

Veteran
hey stoner_chick, i wish you the best with your grow regardless of the soil you choose!

i am very noob at this myself, i have failed several times, but the last was pulled through to completion with tastily awesome results albeit a low yield

i started with miracle grow, not even sure what kind, potting mix maybe? i recall it was very very dry, had a lot of wood, and a few weeks after starting i had little bugs like black gnats and stuff of the like, the plants were okay and growing; i transplanted into larger pots and decided to try a different soil, after a lot of reading i felt that fox farms ocean forest would be a safe bet, that stuff was super dark and just had a great earthy soil smell that the miracle grow didn't seem to have at all, no chunks of wood either, the plants seemed to be a little bit perkier and happier after a week or 2, maybe that was in my head or it was just that the plants were happy to have more space for their roots =)

with that being said, i have a caregiver friend that grows trees, they get 1~3 pounds per plant and use mostly miracle grow potting soil and that's it, the results are very impressive especially for me who is coming from a 18"x2'4"x5ish' cabinet ;) it goes to show me that someone can kick some major growing ass with soil that folks diss and often make fun of, i've seen it with my own eyes so anything on any forum doesn't amount to jack as far as i'm concerned. however, jeez that ffof is so tasty and earthy and dark and yummy, i am not buying a huge amount of soil so i feel it's worth the extra $10 or so

i guess i haven't really made much of a point, at the end of the day i feel it's about a lot of trial and error and going with what works for you!

i hope the best for your first grow girl, kick some ass and show those girls some love and i'm sure they'll show you plenty back ;)

smokefrogg

Veteran
p.s. re jeez the haters, it is so easy to script some bash + lynx and troll the f* out of folks, is it really worth any of the time + energy? imho no, but have fun, be safe!

Last edited:
miracle grow has been made from cheaper substances, that include urea and straight potash and phosphate concentrates and it's relatively high in heavy metals, making for an unpleasant smoke, for me. i taste the metallic tin foil tingle on my tongue.

i grow for my own personal head stash, probably spend too much money on nutes because i am saving way more by growing. currently using omri listed organic nutes, not that it matters, but they're made from kelp, molasses, and more kelp. tasted good, feels good, is good, real good. i don't know but i been told cannabis is the best plant in the world.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
I used to spend so much time reading different threads and trying various mediums and nutrients, spending quite a bit of money. I respect you for doing the same, and reading as much as you can. Growing is a never ending learning experience, don't forget that.

Anyway, I too have read grow reports that produced great bud with miracle grow, I've also read reports where it burned the plants terribly. It depends on alot of things... the pH of your water, the pH of your medium, and the pH of food if it's liquid MG.

For me, I've had great results using an extremely simply method of using a soiless medium (peat moss and perlite) and feeding every third watering with either floranova grow or floranova bloom. This is very basic, as I'm not adding any lime to my medium, and I've been able to recycle and use the same medium for over three grows with no issue.

I am not saying you will have good results with such basic medium/nutes, but I have. Better results than some trial and error with some expensive shit.

I've vegged a plant in miracle grow's organic mix a few years ago and had no issues, as I transplanted the seedling into the mix after about a week in a jiffy pellet, so it did not get burned. That plant ended up being a male, so I never got to see how it would flower in MG, as it was going to be an experiment, but at the time of showing his preflowers I was still not feeding, and he was looking good.

Basically, shitty weed can be grown in the best medium and with the best nutrients, and vice-versa. It's all up to the grower to pay attention to his/her plants and see what they respond well to.

Best of luck.

Peace,
:rasta:

Tom Hill

Veteran
Stoner Chick,

I have been an organic grower for decades and I mostly try to stay clear of what often reminds me of a snake pit of organic borderline Nazis up there. It's a land where microbes magically poo out mobile nutrient ions in the total absence of chemical processes etc, lol, all hail the mighty microbes, and to hell with the rest of the science, bla bla bla. Their shit stinks plenty - though there's some good folks up there too - don't let em get under your skin. If you have a soil mix you wanna try, one that works for someone else - go for it. What ever gets you growing m'lady. -T

hades

Miracle Gro is made by Scott's, which is owned by Monsanto.

Google Monsanto and decide for yourself if you would like to support such a company.

That's the reason I don't use it.

Best of luck with your grow. My advice to new growers is the first step to growing good Cannabis is starting a compost pile =D

C

cannagirl

Miracle Gro is made by Scott's, which is owned by Monsanto.

Google Monsanto and decide for yourself if you would like to support such a company.

That's the reason I don't use it.

Best of luck with your grow. My advice to new growers is the first step to growing good Cannabis is starting a compost pile =D

I dont do soil, but I also dont suppport that evil company. Nothing made by monsanto gets into my grow, ill pay double of any product to ensure that.