What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it really that complicated?

As a noobie, i have to say it is pretty complicated from the perspective that Miss Blunted framed it in. I have tried to make it as easy as possible for myself spending as much as i can afford on equipment, nearly 6 months lurking here reading, and now i have seeds germinating. Some are from a seed company, the majority are from good bag weed.

So I *think* i covered all the bases, dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's. I just pray i don't spend the next 3 months in the infirmary in panic mode over my plants :whee:, that will tell me how easy it is, and how common finicky strains may or may not be.

I think I have basically put myself in a position where i just need to feed tap water ph adjusted and i think they will be all squared away.

I'll let you know in August :) in my journal how easy or not this noob thinks it is to grow the dank ganja after her first run.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
I think I have basically put myself in a position where i just need to feed tap water ph adjusted and i think they will be all squared away.

you wish. you wait till you start to flower them and they go light green and then to yellow and the leaves all fall off. you will have to feed them N :)

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I am using a blazeoneup soil mix which was detailed in a grow journal and the mix is amended so that it only requires tap water from veg to finish. Here is the journal: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59380/

If it were me, I would have used Pro-Mix and controlled the feeding with a complete fertilizer at every watering. Take a look at my gallery. All those plants were grown using 3 products: B'cuzz Pro-Mix right out of the bag, and Jack's Classic All-purpose and Bloom fertilizers. Well, that, and a well-optimized room. I've never measured the Ph of anything, let alone tap water. It comes out of the faucet, it gets mixed with the fertilizer, and into the pot it goes. During flowering, same ratio every time, sans the two weeks at the height of bloom. No (visible) nutrient deficiencies, no issues, just weed that essentially grows itself. Minimum 2oz per ft2 (dry/cured) with virtually every strain. IME, getting the grow to ~90% fert-wise is the easy part. Don't make it hard on yourself. Good luck.

Simon

smokeymacpot

Veteran
I am using a blazeoneup soil mix which was detailed in a grow journal and the mix is amended so that it only requires tap water from veg to finish. Here is the journal: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59380/

have you tried with this mix before and managed to do it with only water? if you havent then you are experimenting, it may go right, it may go wrong. just make sure you are prepared for it needing more nitrogen than your soil contains. N deficieny starting is easy to spot, your fan leaves will start going lighter green untill they yellow. you want them as dark green as you can(too much = curling tips) at all times untill 2weeks before harvest. if you get a deficieny with something else, the plant will look ill and u will be visiting the infirmary :)
have you worked out how your mix releases the food over time? and when they will run out?

i use the most basic compost mix(only perlite added) with no ferts e.t.c, all a plant would get is fed when watering and its instantly got the nutrients it needs and its easy. sure i could try other ways, but i have this method nailed to a t and can grow the most perfect healthy plants which never have to worry about food. a well fed healthy plant is a happy plant and will do its best under the available light to grow the biggest buds it can :)

tribe

I'm a complete noob here. Just popped my first taproot and haven't even finished my cab. Doing it completely ass about face. Haven't even sorted my flowering lights out yet. If it wasn't for you guys on here I would probably have eaten the seed and expected to shit out bud. I hadn't a clue. And I'm expecting to make alot of mistakes as I grow indoors and I am trying to replicate nature, from the other side of the globe and if I get a bit a smoke out of it at the end then fuckin' swell. So basically what I'm saying its I know virtually nothing, except one thing....

...BiPotato is fuckin' annoying! I don't think I have seen a thread with him in where's he's not starting an argument with someone or winding someone up....

all the store bought ferts ive tested ph after my tap to around 6. Do people in grow land think its only gh and botanicare that make nutes in a normal range for plant life?? drainable dirt, basic nute, and not drowing your plant with luv and your off to the races. the funniest thing on theese threads as ive said before is the guys in the hyro organic sectin,, theve taken apart everything in a living dirt and isolated it and are adding it back to a sterile medium, maybe its me but i find it funny as fuck. all chems are chems. your organicare botanicare is mircale grow thats overpriced n nothing more, bottom line, erb is easy as hell to grow.

bipotato could never wind me up, hes just an empty pot snob, and hes hip to the fact that all his so called dispencary top shelf budd are just the regs of today, nothing to think your special about.

Norkali

Nah, growing is simple. The only thing you have to do is cope with bad water, high and low temps, high humidity, pests of all sorts, security, odor, air circulation, power bills, nutrients, disposing of trash, hiding evidence, trimming, gene selection, nutrient selections, lighting concerns, reservoir maintenance and health, cleaning, foliar spraying, light leaks, sagging branches, re-ordering supplies, and about a hundred other things.

Piece of cake, I'm sure it doesn't cost more than $23.

;)

Yeah, that. :biglaugh:

sounds like your whinning. i have to pay power bills?? disposing of trash, hiding evidence? , whats that have to do with growing a plant? lighting concerns,, come again? nutrient selections,, theres one that will keep u up at night. light leaks, wow, put a piece of tape on that hole!!!!!!! cleaning??? foliar spraying,, your trying to say that misting the understides of leaves really racks your brain yah? reordering supplies? i dont know about reordering supplies but when i reorder vitamins it sure tires me out.

if u cant grow great pot your first time out you are unique( when u look at the online seed compaines that stock the best)

and remember boys n girls, the greatest taste enhancement in weed to this day is dun da da dunnnnnnn WATER!!!

theres no new products out there, its just new to u.

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
sounds like your whinning. i have to pay power bills?? disposing of trash, hiding evidence? , whats that have to do with growing a plant? lighting concerns,, come again? nutrient selections,, theres one that will keep u up at night. light leaks, wow, put a piece of tape on that hole!!!!!!! cleaning??? foliar spraying,, your trying to say that misting the understides of leaves really racks your brain yah? reordering supplies? i dont know about reordering supplies but when i reorder vitamins it sure tires me out.

if u cant grow great pot your first time out you are unique( when u look at the online seed compaines that stock the best)

and remember boys n girls, the greatest taste enhancement in weed to this day is dun da da dunnnnnnn WATER!!!

theres no new products out there, its just new to u.

I can't even decipher what the hell you are getting at with this post. Maybe it is supposed to be tongue in cheek? Anyways, the bolded part is either a joke or you are way underestimating the challanges to a new grower.

It does take alot of work, and we have found, that even for our patients that CAN do it, they often quit after trying a round because it took to much time and they have a job/family/life that they would rather take care of then try to figure out how to additionally cool their grow room during summer.

Saying that it is not hard on a larger grow is as naive as saying it is easy to run a business in any other industry. Think it is easy to open and run a restaruant? A liqour store? A lawn care business? Every industry has its own challanges and so does ours...

again its well known fact that heat is a newbies first thing to start to understand when making a room, this threads about the complexity of it. it aint complicated.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
boils down to if you are able to grow any plant like vegetables, tomatos especially, then you should get something good on your first time. i did get something very nice my first go, from then on it gets better and better as you experiment with training methods etc.
its the people who are lazy and/or dont understand plant basics that fuck it up and end up with shit plants, just because they cant grow them.. it doesnt mean its automatically difficult to grow cannabis. its actually really simple.
evironmental things like ventilation, cooling, lighting are seperate issues from actually growing the plant, yes they matter, but you could just forget about them and grow in a greenhouse or outdoor where growroom problems dont come into it. or just make sure your grow rooms conditions are acceptable for a plant in the first place.

have you tried with this mix before and managed to do it with only water? if you havent then you are experimenting, it may go right, it may go wrong. just make sure you are prepared for it needing more nitrogen than your soil contains. N deficieny starting is easy to spot, your fan leaves will start going lighter green untill they yellow. you want them as dark green as you can(too much = curling tips) at all times untill 2weeks before harvest. if you get a deficieny with something else, the plant will look ill and u will be visiting the infirmary :)
have you worked out how your mix releases the food over time? and when they will run out?
You are scaring me.

Dark green as can be at all times. Check.

Dojo

...BiPotato is fuckin' annoying! I don't think I have seen a thread with him in where's he's not starting an argument with someone or winding someone up....
Bah he aint that bad I noticed him when i first came to the site too...he like that crazy uncle you cant really talk to but hes still family...much love bipot

Latest posts

Latest posts