What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cichlid tanks anyone ????

Just wondered if anyone else has cichlid tanks or breed/sell them . Im just getting into African cichlids . These guys are very aggressive fish . always picking on my baby painted turtles nippin at feet and toes that are dangling in the water . i baught 5 jewel red 1 male 4 ladys , 4 kennyi - 3 females and a male, 1 auratus female and soon to buy some yellow labs and few more auratus for tank mates for the 1 i got

show off those aquariums

planted ,salts and fresh water tanks are welcome !!

Any kind of fish are welcome

tank is dirty,i know .that will change come sunday .

Attachments

• GEDC0018.jpg
    GEDC0018.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 43
  • GEDC0019.jpg
    GEDC0019.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 40
For the record before anyone ask my turtles arent interested in the fish. cichlids are well aware of whats going on around them. they have no chance to catch one if they wanted to. anyone who has raised africans know how teritorial and mean and aware they are.thus when they wanna be mean they can get very ballsy

What size tank? Be careful putting those yellow labs in there, they will most likely get picked on.
Edit: I'm running a 125gal. With Frontosa & a 55gal. full of yellow labs.

Last edited:
75 Gallon , ladys at local petshop said samething my red african jewels would kill everything in my tank. Jewels are pretty peaceful i just rearrange tanks layout when adding new fish . this makes everyone establish new teritory in the tank. that takes bout 2-3 days and everyone is cool good to go . water changes at 30-40% every week. ive go plans to add 4 yellow labs and 4 auratus cichlids then im done maybe 1 more pleco . none of these fish are over 1.5in this will give me a total of 20 in my tank

african cichlids can be the most rewarding fish to keep/breed. I'm telling you this as a friend, some african cichlids do not mix well. I've seen people spend a ton of money on them and they just kill each other. Don't depend on the lady at the fish store to tell you what will work together (she wants your money), there are plenty of forms like icmag for info. Keep in mind that they might not be over 1.5in now, but the yellows will be 3-5in when full grown. My biggest frontosa is 10". I guess what I'm trying to say is you can have a peaceful cichlid tank if your careful what you mix together. Let me know if I can help

african cichlids can be the most rewarding fish to keep/breed. I'm telling you this as a friend, some african cichlids do not mix well. I've seen people spend a ton of money on them and they just kill each other. Don't depend on the lady at the fish store to tell you what will work together (she wants your money), there are plenty of forms like icmag for info. Keep in mind that they might not be over 1.5in now, but the yellows will be 3-5in when full grown. My biggest frontosa is 10". I guess what I'm trying to say is you can have a peaceful cichlid tank if your careful what you mix together. Let me know if I can help

my tank is 75 gal ,with caves and places to hide .what would u recommend putting in there? i wanna put more fish in ,im just not sure what to put in ?? advice is all welcome ,right now i got the following

2 plecos : 2in
4 kenyi : 1 - 2 inch range
5 jewel reds: 2.5 -1.5 inch range
1 aurautus 2inch female

G

gloryoskie

Cool fish. I want a tank of my own now. Costly to maintain? Hours per week, or hours per month maintenance? What do they eat, and what's expected lifespan?
Really nice!

I'll do research on my own, of course, just trying to be friendly!

TacomaComa

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to keep couple different tanks filled with central and south american cichlids. Red Devils, Jack Dempseys, Red Terrors, Green Terrors, Convicts etc....

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
Those 'red jewels' will eventually get the crap beat out of them. The Auratus males turn black and can be very aggressive.. the male Kenyi, actually 'lumbardi' will turn bright lemon yellow. The 'red jewels' are not rock dwelling cichlids and are of a different type than the 'mbuna' types. 13 years ago, I was the number one source for africans in the midwest. I used to bring in weekly loads from 'old world exotics' in florida.. they're the number one source at the wholesale/import level in the U.S... we got some extremely rare species and varieties from them and we'd have people literally fighting over stuff the day after they came in.. you just jogged some very fond memories.. thanks..

mgk :tiphat:

R

Rysam

I'm a fish nut, easily equal to my cannabis passion. I have a mixed pleco/goldfish 135 now, formerly a SPS reef, and before that an african tank with a lean towards the Lake Malawi species.

no current pics, but heres some of the reef.

b7ys1l.jpg

10da0y0.jpg

1zvshn7.jpg

the maitanance is simple for someone like me who has time i do partial water changes every week 25gallons of water witha waterbed syphon then add back 25 gallons . they are good with other cichlids just dont get along with much more

auratus are the pussys of the tank the ones running shit are the jewels and kenyi's

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a tank full of auratus - they started with 3 females and 1 male, 6 years later there's dozens.

dozens of little angry mean bastards. the only thing that keeps them in line is an oscar 10 times their size...and the fact that males keep killing a percentage of the females trying to get laid. they'll just chase them and run them ragged.

they earned the name 'nazi-fish'. they're entertaining enough, but they aren't exactly placid in any form. essentially, if you don't want them over populating the tank or trying to kill everything that moves...if one turns black, yoink it outta there.

MaynardG_Krebs

Veteran
i have a tank full of auratus - they started with 3 females and 1 male, 6 years later there's dozens.

dozens of little angry mean bastards. the only thing that keeps them in line is an oscar 10 times their size...and the fact that males keep killing a percentage of the females trying to get laid. they'll just chase them and run them ragged.

they earned the name 'nazi-fish'. they're entertaining enough, but they aren't exactly placid in any form. essentially, if you don't want them over populating the tank or trying to kill everything that moves...if one turns black, yoink it outta there.

They must like that oscar, otherwise, they woulda eaten all his fins and scales and plucked his eyeballs out and sent him to Davey Jone's locker by now... still not too late... could happen at any time....

mgk :tiphat:

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think it's more that he eats the young in the tank, so they learn early it's best to just avoid him. i kinda figured it was a situation that could go pear shaped, but...they've had the same situation for 6 years.

as is, if i could unload the auratus somewhere besides a creek, i would. they're just assholes.

old grunt

I did Angel fish for quite awhile 3 breeding pairs each pair in a 30 gal. tank 1 pair of silver ,1pair of golds, and one pair silver male and gold female , the silvers and golds bred true and silver & gold about 95% gold & 5% silver, after hatching and once they began free swimming,about a 1/4 in. transfered the little ones to 1 of 2 75 gal. tanks depending on size and about 2 to 3 mons. later $1.25 to $1.75 each. The plus for the were they were bred in local water , Hence no shock or adjustment. A win win Sit. for all of us

ive got one black one i want them to breed

well i baught a co2 injected 90 gal . turtles are still in 75 . i went against everyones advice and did a planted cichlid tank . which is working great with my africans . Anubias Bart , Java moss , Amazon Sword ,Bacopa , Angel hair grass , 16 cichlids havent messed with them at all. pics tom

Latest posts

Latest posts