What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

outdoor in Scotland ??

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
anyone ever try it

I have a few times, mostly tests to see if the plants will grow and mostly with males I had to get rid of anyway
the results were poor to say the least if they wern't munched on by catapillers or other insects
they didn't grow with any vigour, I suspect the climate and lack of any real prolonged sunny weather

I have seen some big plants grown in greenhouses in Scotland but again there was no real bud production
just large leafy plants with very little bud, so has anyone found a strain that works in our shitty climate

OP

Syd

ICMag Donor
I'm not so northern but, if I was you, I'd ask to Esbe. Everything grows in Denmark, can grow in Scotland, probably with similar results.

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
syd I've tried Passion #1 very simmilar to ESBE but scotland is more exposed to the atlantic and wetter
although they may be simmilar in latitude the climate is different

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
my passion#1 is different bro, its been adopted to our lil less crappy climate than yours for generations. also leb27, royal dane, mighty mite, thyphoon and many others are well suited for you dudes. if you preventive protect your plants with ex "amistar" twice or three times along the season im shure you will harvest lots of mold free buds. as much sun and wind as possible is a must.

remember eclectus?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
You might get some luck with early Sativas, but I would be looking at Autos and - if possible - force flowering during summer.

You can force flower 'two ways' ... either put her out at, say, 7am, then pull her in at 7pm, meaning you have to be there every 12 hours, or the lazymans way, using dusk or dawn to do one of them for you. e.g. if dawn is 7am, dusk 10pm you move the plant to 'dark' at 7pm, put her out again ... at a time to suit.... into 'real' night sometime after 10pm, leaving her out to see Dawn @7am 12 hours after she was in darkness....

If you want to be really lazy [or not have your plants totally running your life] you can have an 'indoor growroom' that you take the plants out of for full sun whenever suits.

B

buddymate

my passion#1 is different bro, its been adopted to our lil less crappy climate than yours for generations. also leb27, royal dane, mighty mite, thyphoon and many others are well suited for you dudes. if you preventive protect your plants with ex "amistar" twice or three times along the season im shure you will harvest lots of mold free buds. as much sun and wind as possible is a must.

remember eclectus?
I remember eclectus from back in the OG days,sure he grew some bud,but he would be the first to agree it was never really very impressive,his yeilds were always scant to be honest.:2cents:

got a light

you def need a greenhouse to anything halfway decent up here. Even then i dout it would get enough light intensity to get the buds to swell up. But anythings possible I guess

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I would be more concerned with the wetness than the sunlight

If Scotland is living up to its rep as a wet place, and is wetter than Canada, I don't see how an unattended outdoor grow would work without huge mold loss

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
scotland is a very wet country and if its not raining its damp
even in mid summer its very rare to get a full week without a heavy rain storm
and the lack of good sunlight for any extended period rules out most strains

TheBudFather

deffinately not a good idea... in the Uk i would head as far south as poss, because most of the weather in UK is rubbish... im thinking if your going to try anything use Autoflowering plants!

B

buddymate

Eclectus back in the OG days did grow a few small plants,but in truth they yielded scant grams and that was very late,south England is easy to grow outdoors.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aye right gid fuckin luck!

The old man left me some plots to tend when he went awf to the nick... (for growing weed of course)

Near Loch Ness these were. Grew sweet in veg but didnt start to flower until Sep... not good!

D

Doctor John

Viable outdoor grows

Viable outdoor grows

Given the location of Scotland, the weather, and the kind of sunlight, and the seasonal patterns, plus climate change, dampness and mold, its got to be autoflowering or dont bother......
Esbe is the guy with the knowledge for today's outdoor gardener!

I've grown outdoor in Scotland, and vegetative growthe is not a problem: I got sativas to 12-14 feet, and indicas to 6-7 feet {AK47 feminised}, but the onset of flowering is sooooooooo slow - autumn equinox late September, two or three weeks for plants to change mode, its now mid October, and you have 8, or thereabout, weeks to go.......... mid December onwards before you can harvest........ and, whats the fucking weather been like during this period???????
Its not worth the risk, as I found out to my cost.......

However, the modern strains, which I presume are partly ruderalis, sound a totally different prospect, and one I would love to have a go at..... would be guerilla growing this time thouth - the pigs still pop around and peep over my wall from time to time...... Scottish police are in a class of their own - bastards every single one of them in my regrettable experience......

Only one question: where or how do I go about getting seeds such as Esbe describes? :1help:

Mr Mojo Risin

ive grew outdoors here since my late teens (about 96/97' was prob the first), ive had some pretty shit hot results and some pretty shit results..

electus, yeah i remember him quite well. does anyone keep in touch with him now? he used to live pretty close to me and i always had a feeling i would probably of knew him (small area) but never bothered to ask somehow. his buds never grew very great but the area he grew was far from ideal with poor soil/small pots etc etc so he never got anything thaaaat special but did manage somehting to puff. hope hes doing ok, seemed like a nice fella :)

ive had nearly a kg of dry/cured bud from a sativa which finished on bonfire night here which smoked lovely so dont let a couple of bad grows put ya off ;). it was a fucking monster and much bigger than any of the english grows ive saw on forums. using both hands you couldnt put your fingers round the stalk of her! it was an 'early special' but ive tried them several times again and they wont even flower now till october! i think it was 99' i had that great autumn.. but yeah, i always get some sort of harvest. durban poison used to do well for me but again it wont finish in time anymore thanks to bad breeding techniques.. hollands hope - dont get me started on them either grrrr

next season im trying out canadian genetic and going to be using them to do a bit of breeding and try and find something what can be climatised to our shitty weather.

ive been lucky enough to of tried out some of the danish beans what esben made. i tried some kindof erocket, erdpurt and a leb 27 i think wer the ones i got gifted but i had a poor season and they never flowered in time before the rains but they did show FAR more potential than any of the dutch crap. i thought by the size of them they were going to give of pounds of weed but when end of october came so did the storms and i lost most of what was left on the stems to mould. i think the beans i had were f1's and because i had a few slugs eat some of my seedlings maybe i never came across any early phenos to dust with an early auto haze male i had in mind. ah well i might give them another go here as ive saw some of the plants they grow now and they look top notch :) i think theres a website to buy them from, i'll try dig out the details and post em up.

what we really need is very fast sativas. sure indica flowers quicker but they mould up to fuck here whereas sativas just shrug off rain. next year if my breeding plots go well i should be in a position to share some seed what works up here. maybe we should get some kindof collective going where we all test and breed out a few different things and see if we cant get a local strain what works here. it not easy or cheap trying out different strains each season only to find that they dont work or the seed company has been telling lies so it would be good to have others to compare results with :)

the last 3 seasons here have been a washout so ive not really had much to speak of since then but im always slugging away at it all the same :) one of these years i will have my field of dreams al tell thee! the law of averages allows us one good autumn in 5 years surely so i will be ready, waiting with all my plots filled to the tits with huge buds! it will happen and anyone thinking about outdoor growing here should have a go its great fun with little risk and the least you are gonna get is a big ball of bubblehash ;)

D

Doctor John

Ah, potential progress?

Ah, potential progress?

maybe we should get some kindof collective going where we all test and breed out a few different things and see if we cant get a local strain what works here. it not easy or cheap trying out different strains each season only to find that they dont work or the seed company has been telling lies so it would be good to have others to compare results with :)

Ace idea Mr Mojo Risin {can hear the Doors in my head right now!} and one which should be progressed: I'm certainly up for it...... what I dont want to do is waste a LOT of money on crap..... so, thoughts on how to do it...?

A few years ago I was in regular contact, here and elsewhere, with a guy called Stanky Yank, who lives/lived?, in Scotland, but was an American..... he was well on the way to perfecting an outdoor early finisher if I remember..... really nice guy.

When I got busted, I had to lend the police a saw to enable them to cut my plants down....... the sativas were more like shrub trunks than annuals..... took them all day to cut 'em down and bag 'em up..... a week later I got a call from the police station to say they were going to dispose of my plants, so if I wanted to do anything, I needed to make arrangements....
It was a bit of a ruse.... if my solicitor had gone, he could not be my solicitor any more, as he would have been classed as a witness..... crafty bastards.
Anyhow, along I went with a digital camera, to photograph my plants.... to cut a long story short, when I got to the police station, and went into the reception area, all I could smell was weed!
Cops took me along to see the crop: it was a way away, stinking the whole place out, and when I got to it {locked steel doors etc} and started to lift the bags down {I had 66 plants, all huge, it was a hell of a lot of vegetative material, a pile about 1mx3mx about 1.5m high, all bagged and carefully stacked by the pigs} I noticed they were hot.... three layers down, it was fucking hot!!!! If they had not got 'em out of the station, they would have combusted.... he he...... would have made a fine headline!!! :joint:

Hope there is a positive response to Mr Mojo Risin's idea.....
Also hope Esbe will have an interest in this..... would love to get some of his genetics......

Mr Mojo Risin

haha good story man, yeah ive had the visit from the cops and the conviscation of my plants etc but hey ho we gotta just keep the head down and get on with it. i cant grow here indoors again but im well up for overgrowing the country outdoors each year!

yeah it would be great to have a few others who are seriously into developing a new strain for over here as its quite a lonely old job being a guerilla gardener in Scotland! nobody wants to get involved due to laziness or failed previous attmepts which is pretty lame! the more failures i get the more determined it makes me to try harder the following season. i'll just keep doddling away at it and see what i can come up with but im sure there must be more than 2 of us whos interested in outdoors up here.

im from the west (the best :p) coast and have access to plenty of nice plots to use guerilla style and ive never once (touches wood) been ripped or found. we are fortunate to live in a country where we have untouched areas to grow in so its our duty to exploit these and plant some beans. seems im saying the same old thing each year though and although a couple of my mates pop an odd bean outdoors occasionaly, none of them get into it.

anyone else up for working on a local strain?

i found some really good info and seeds to test in the links below. seem cheap enough but im not sure how reliable they are or who breeds them etc. i might try track down Esben as im sure i saw him on here and see what he thinks is worth trying out in Scotland. http://www.*********.com/forums/f10/nordic-danish-outdoor-strains-genetics-8356/

http://froebanken.dcfonline.dk/inde...age/2?osCsid=3a4f8ae6aec03c8010ad01afc59d8426

cheers

(maybe we need to start another thread if this goes ahead so we can keep track of whos growing what?)

Last edited:
D

Doctor John

We have progress!

We have progress!

Wow, I'm delighted!!!!
The plan?
Cover the whole of the fucking country with weed?
Sounds a cracker!

We would appear to be in the next Region to each other...... I'm south and east of you..... not far from Dalry, the one in D&G, not Ayrshire...... so you can place me more or less now Mr Mojo Rising.

I have locations planned, and I'm keen for the spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the award, and the comment Mr Mojo Risin! {was wondering how to thank other people who leave positive stuff..... its difficult if you dont know who......}

Its a relief to have found somebody with similar interests, who is almost next door, rather than across an ocean!

Was in Amsterdam for the day last week: had our granddaughter to stay for a few days, so we went off on a cheapie from Newcastle..... came back with some freebie seeds: went into a souvenir shop {a coffee shop souvenir shop, selling seeds and the usual paraphenalia} and the girl working there knew me! I used to teach, and she was a pupil of mine.... long story. Anyhow, we had a good chat, and she asked the owner/breeder down from upstairs to come down to say "Hello"............ very interesting, nice guy to boot, and generous.... came away with a bag full of stuff, including some seeds: PPP, feminised, White Widow and AK48............ so, the future looks bright, as the song says! :wave:

Mr Mojo Risin

strange as i was up there at your place last saturday night at a great party! small world indeed! were you there? it was in middle of nowhere dont want to mention names or anything but im sure you must know whos party it was as it attracts over 100 folk each time. it rocked anyways! im now starting to wonder if we have met before.. do ya go to knock?

small world man, small world.. stay in touch fella :)

SuperConductor

Veteran
This is a great idea, looking forward to seeing how you get on. If I'm around I might be up for it but not sure what's happening yet.

Stanky Yank used to hang out at uk420, think he changed his name to just Stanky.

D

Doctor John

Ha, small world it is!

Ha, small world it is!

strange as i was up there at your place last saturday night at a great party! small world indeed! were you there? it was in middle of nowhere dont want to mention names or anything but im sure you must know whos party it was as it attracts over 100 folk each time. it rocked anyways! im now starting to wonder if we have met before.. do ya go to knock?

small world man, small world.. stay in touch fella :)

Would it be sam-s's?
If so, I was not there, but my younest son was!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a lot of people I know.......
This is way more than a coincidence.... and I'm well into that kind of thing....
Have not been to knock, but was at Eden just before..... in Ae. Rained like it was never going to stop............ may as well have been standing in a shower whilst I watched the Levellers! Rain running down the inside of my coats arms.... horrible.
I live between the two locations..... used to work in Dalry..... some fucking journey each morning in the winter.... on a bike...... my hands were so so cold when I got there......
Looks like we may have people in common, as well as interests.
Looks like a ray of sunshine on a dark dismal Scottish autumn evening!:grouphug:

Latest posts

Latest posts