What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What advice would you give a novice breeder?

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Particularly one who would like to start his own seed company.
Explain how you got started breeding, the basic building blocks to a successful breeding project, what you look for in keepers.

Any tips or tricks or anything worth contributing are welcome! :tiphat:

caliprop215

Veteran
Start off by pollinating some good nugs....with a good Hardy male... LOL. Sorry had to say it.... I'm interested in people's answers also

M

metsäkana

maybe first surf the genetic pool to get understanding what is out there

then you know what to look for

P

pangolin

Bang a couple of polyhybrids together, don't bother doing any progeny testing but give them a ridiculous name, hype the shit out of them then sell them for $200 a pack.

Simple innit?!

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
It’s an overfished pond, that’s for sure. Need exceptional bait to stand out

I

Ignignokt

I would say, you probably wont make any money unless you REALLY stand out in some way.

Karma G

Vendor
Veteran
Take your time. Dont try and do things fast.

Spend your time creatinh your male breeding stock.

Grow your start seed stock well and much so you realy got the knolidge on that line. Makes for easy selecting and pre knolidge on outcome.

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
1.build an extensive collection of genetics

2.Know your genetics

3.Cull hard

4.grow as many of your own seed possible

5.get 50k ig followers

Gonna be hard for an unknown to blow up unless you got sumthin nobody has and get it hyped to the point everyone wants it... good luck mang

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]- Flower your male plants a long time to see if they have hermie traits in them. They'll start growing pistils eventually if there's bad intersex traits in them.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The same with females of course = way past normal harvest window[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- Buy a 30 x or 60x jeweler's loop to check resin content (globular resin) on the stem of vegging plants. This way you can pick the most resinous males very early on with out flowering them.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- "scratch and sniff" vegging plants to pick the most aromatic ones. The aroma will develop week by week with plants grown from seed and you won't get the full aroma until they're well matured. = a plant grown from seed won't smell as much (also depth/complexity) after 30 days of veg as after 60 days +.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Yea, like others said if you wanna make tons of money selling seeds; use a lot of superlatives when your bullshitting people on grow forums and on Insta and facebook.:biggrin:

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Aquire the space to grow an enormous amount of plants and do real breeding not just chucking. Work lines properly. Find something special.

Know your goal. Are you looking to focus on new modern polys or landrace hybrids. aiming for flavor? Potency? CBD? Yield?

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Do what you feel is best and learn as much as possible because eventually you'll see what it is you need to do. I myself breed because it's therapeutic not to blow up and be these pollen chucking clowns charging an arm and a leg for non tested bs

Mengsk

You can simply pick the best plants, meaning more or less here is my number one strain from everything I grew, best plant x best plant. That sounds vague or subjective which it is but most everyone has an idea of best meaning most potent or unique etc. Or you could have variation, 2-3+ varieties where you are and/or are not making crosses of each and every one and keeping track of which is which.

One thing which seems a little blurry or vague is indoor vs outdoor strains. We all know the popular names. Breeding a plant for 3-5 m size and 3+ kg yield with mold resistance outdoors is one thing. Selecting for traits in a controlled environment like a sealed grow room with heat and a/c is going to be different. What I'm getting at but haven't quite spelled out is that a bred #1 hydroponic indoor strain may not grow exceptionally well outside and vice versa. Is there any truth to this or simply short plants do well under lights I have no idea.

Think about your goals. Growing let alone breeding is hard enough work that even old rehashed genetics will likely reveal something worthy of keeping. Without a reliable source you'd have to test grow a strain to see how similar or different each plant is.

Open pollinated - many as in a field what you might expect in nature.

Selective breeding - best female x best male
where best is subjective or determined by criteria.

You can have mixed or both which I won't get into but this would mean for example of your 3-5 strains, each one is kept going through either selection (i.e. cuts) or open pollination (preservation) or both. So for each strain best female x best male, and ideally ten+ of each with pollinators/wind like just have a small tent where you don't cull any plants and turn the fans on.

Last edited:
W

Water-

Explain how you got started breeding, the basic building blocks to a successful breeding project, what you look for in keepers.

you want to start a seed company but have no experience with plants?

find a different way to make money

that is my advice.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

#WelcomeCookiefam! :biggrin:

X

xavier7995

I would pick up as many stable ibl type lines as i could and get to mixing and matching to try and start learning how traits get passed on and how they mix. Write down some goals/expectations for your crosses and then test out the progeny and see how close you came. Take various expressions of the same strain and see how those impact offspring. Grow out a few generations of offspring and work the line to remove or increase how often traits show up. Try out backcrosses and see what those do. Mostly just get in there and give it a go, read stuff and try it out, participation is the best form of education.

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not asking or in it for the monetary gain, please keep all snarky comments to yourself unless you have something positive to contribute to this thread beyond sarcasm.

I'm more so on preserving lines, working with landraces, producing something unique! Anybody could pollen chuck, that's not what my aim is.