What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpyreanSeeds

Hello all!
Having not been on forums since before the old Overgrown got shut down and only being on the newest platform (instagram), we have no clue at all as to who still remembers or wants some good ol NL? The only other person we’re aware of that is working with NL is mrbobhemphill. We can’t be the only ones left.

Been busy testing the breeding qualities of this old NL5 (nor cal) cutting as well as an old NL5xNL2 (seed bank stock) male from an old friend, making tons of hybrids and back crosses and in-crosses and all sorts of other things! We’ve crossed the NL5 x NL5/NL2 (“NL Blvd”), an old 90s SSH cutting to the NL5/NL2 (“Neon”) and even back crossed the “NL Blvd” to the NL5 (on the second bx now as “NL555”) and also an F1 hybrid called “the Light” (NL5 x Destroyer). While it’s been tons of fun (along with even more stress), we ha e some important questions for y’all.

What we are most curious about is: do you all think there’s any room for NLs in the new poly-hybrid/bottle necked marketplace of dessert and candy? What are the chances of a revival/renaissance of heirloom genetics for more than preservation purposes?

We’ve found terpentine/chemical scents in the NL Blvd, catpiss/ammonia funk (ala old hogs breath from SD) in the Light and the classic pine, berry chemical kushy scents in the NL555. Of course there’s Chems and Diesels and all other such similar terpene combos, isn’t it more interesting to find new variations on the classics by using the classics to do breeding projects with?

Please share away!!!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Grew some NL outdoors this season and did a cross of my own. I definitely think NL can hold its own in today's market and will be a name that will always spark some interest, even in the future. If you have heirloom genetics those will definitely be in demand. I myself would be interested.

D3pthCharg3

I'm 44 years old. NL sounds great to me; and so does skunk, hashplant, and haze. However, most of the under 30 crowd that shops at my growshop are not into these strains, from my experience discussing genetics at the shop (although a frosty skunky bud of old school in someones face will dispel all the prejudices and presumptions). BTW, the SSH NL cross is something I'd buy, in a heartbeat, as well as the rest of the aforementioned goodies you have been crafting. Carry on with your work my friend...great herb is great herb...old school or new school. It's just like music to me-great is great-no matter what.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I always like NL back in the mid 90s. At the time it set the standard for how high I could get. I was impressed with the flavor at the time but was comparing it to compressed import. Any NL I have smoked recently has had a nice buzz but really nothing noteworthy flavorwise. I assume with legalization and the lower need for carbon filters and odor control that most people prefer a more flavorful strain. I kinda figured all the not so stinky strains were bred to keep you out of jail more so than to stink up the whole neighborhood.

Strains that stink for miles are usually a good thing from the perspective of what is good to have a joint burning of.

King Rat

even when there isn't a big demand on classic genetics like NL today, it will be sometime in future.
glad you preserved it and thank you for that.

dogbite1

I think there will always be a demand for classic stable old lines moving forward..

Been on the hunt for a old school NL with those amazing Pine Terps that I remember so well from the 90's, sounds like your NL555 could be just what I've been after.

Awsome to hear that you have been putting in the work to keep good NL lines around. Please let us know if you ever release any to the public.

EmpyreanSeeds

Thanks so much for chiming in with the feedback and sharing your thoughts everyone!

For those of you interested, we just started to release some stuff to the public. Check out our reference site for info on what's available and there's an email address there for the most up-to-date list.

We've always enjoyed the more heirloom/old school varieties as there seems to be more going on in all aspects of the plant. NL will always be a backbone to our breeding projects as we try to create some new scents and flavors.

Some things will take a few more generations until release, like the Light (NL5 x Destroyer) simply out of respect for Charlie who was the breeder at Cannabiogen, and creator of Destroyer, because we aren't trying to be like that.

If any of you want to check out some pictures, we have tons on our Instagram @empyreanseeds

What other genetics would y'all like to see combined with NL? Our NL555 is the closest thing to NL5 in terms of having a male stud to cross with all the great cuttings out there so we are looking forward to testing that out very soon.

Dankwolf

Thanks so much for chiming in with the feedback and sharing your thoughts everyone!

For those of you interested, we just started to release some stuff to the public. Check out our reference site for info on what's available and there's an email address there for the most up-to-date list.

We've always enjoyed the more heirloom/old school varieties as there seems to be more going on in all aspects of the plant. NL will always be a backbone to our breeding projects as we try to create some new scents and flavors.

Some things will take a few more generations until release, like the Light (NL5 x Destroyer) simply out of respect for Charlie who was the breeder at Cannabiogen, and creator of Destroyer, because we aren't trying to be like that.

If any of you want to check out some pictures, we have tons on our Instagram @empyreanseeds

What other genetics would y'all like to see combined with NL? Our NL555 is the closest thing to NL5 in terms of having a male stud to cross with all the great cuttings out there so we are looking forward to testing that out very soon.

I would like to see a pine leaning nl5 x critical mass .:tiphat:

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Welcome here, I think breeders and oldschool growers will be the type of customers looking for your NL projects.

I used to talk with highly selassie when he first came here 2 years ago to show the Seedbank NL5 x NL2 preservation but I saw you're not working with him anymore.

I've no account on IG but like many people I follow your work, I also want to work with old NL genes since years for some specific projects so NL blvd F3 and NL555 have all my interest. You're doing an amazing job with NL5 clone and Neville's work for outcrossing it.

The Light and other crosses are also very nice !

Yes the old heirlooms are the future as a matter of preservation first but also for better breeding tools than what is done with the actual polyhybrids mess.

Cheers ! :tiphat:

EmpyreanSeeds

I would like to see a pine leaning nl5 x critical mass .:tiphat:

Man, haven’t seen nor heard of any critical mass around California since the early 00s. What do you suppose is close to critical mass and relatively available these days? Would love to see what a good NL x skunk pairing would create as well. Never got to try shiva skunk back in the days. Cheers!

Dankwolf

Man, haven’t seen nor heard of any critical mass around California since the early 00s. What do you suppose is close to critical mass and relatively available these days? Would love to see what a good NL x skunk pairing would create as well. Never got to try shiva skunk back in the days. Cheers!

You can still find critical mass around. Hrre and there . nl5 x skunk would not be bad ether but its beend done many times .

I belive mns still has critical mass . she was a spectacular girl . I grew back in early 2000 along with nl5 nl9 , trinity lost them may years ago during the diesel trend in 04 :tiphat:

Status
Not open for further replies.