What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indica vs Sativa; Exactly what is the difference?

Doingmypart

Alternatively, is there a difference at all?

This is an article I posted on my website a while ago. I was wondering if any of you awesome weed enthusiasts would mind having a quick read and see what you think? My content is original other than I have recently been experimenting with curating content on my blogs. Writing is something I have been doing this past year and it is such a great feeling seeing the finish results.

Indica vs Sativa and the 2-primary species of Marijuana flowers are Indica and then Sativa. Indica crops are generally shorter, with bushy flowers and broad leaf. Indica crops tend to develop quicker with a more significant turn out as compared to the sativa variation which are neighborhood to the warm atmospheres like Mexico and can reach growth heights upwards of 18 ft.
Indica and Sativa strains are incredibly alike, yet very so very different, in so many ways. The question remains; Are similarities vs differences between the two strains a factor for the species in nature, or in human culture? To help us understand, we will consider indica vs sativa in the following ways:

HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED ABOUT THE COMMONALITIES BETWEEN INDICA VS SATIVA?

Apart from the physical characteristics that decide the species, and how people respond differs as well. First off Marijuana is not hard to spot. There is a critical likeness between the two varieties of cannabis is that they both have THC/CBD. Most people know that THC, or tetrahydrocannabinol, is the chemical compound in Cannabis responsible for the high.

Cannabis users seeking aid from medical marijuana may tend to consider the dissimilarities or invariable symptoms while getting the much-needed pain relief they seek. Those using cannabis recreationally want to know several different effects that every type of plant provides. Some use it is because they just like getting high. For myself, I enjoy it for both reasons.
Indica vs Sativa Effects: Therapeutic Healing and Medical use.

Listed here are some of the distinctions, specifically about the Sativa vs Indica high. When it comes to contemplating results, one must start with the standard; what are there effects?

Some effects from Indica are that it produces tingling body sensations or pins and needles in the body while feeling lazy and in a very relaxed state while reducing pain. Many who choose Indica suffer from long-term conditions, like insomnia, stress, anxiety or anxiousness. It is advisable Indica to be used when you want to rest or in the evening.

Sativa, however, creates more of a mind-altering and uplifting Euphoric experience. The uplifting feeling is the effect of the difference in the levels of THC/CBD, among other components. A sativa high is much more enjoyable for getting out and being sociable, active, and energetic while it relieves medical symptoms such as depression, migraines, and fatigue.

The THC helps ease the pain while the CBD influences the mood centers of the brain, reducing stress and bringing general relaxation and leisure to the atmosphere. Both marijuana strains have been helpful for anxiety and pain relief. There have been various analyses that have put forward that CBD serves to reverse the intoxicating effects of THC while giving users paranoia. However, together CBD & THC continues to be purely at individual preferences and tastes of the user.
Let’s Break it down a bit.

THE LEADING FEATURES OF AN INDICA STRAIN INCLUDE:
• Increased mental relaxation
• Muscle relaxation
• Decreases nausea
• Decreases acute pain
• Increases appetite
• Increases dopamine (a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain’s reward and pleasure centers)
• For nighttime use

THE LEADING FEATURES OF A SATIVA STRAIN INCLUDE

• Anti-anxiety
• Anti-depressant
• Takes care of persistent discomfort
• Raises concentration levels as well as creativeness or awareness
• Boosts serotonin ( a neurotransmitter associated with the control of education, ambiance, rest, anxiousness and also hunger )
• For daytime use

Wrapping things up, are there better strains for different medical symptoms or does one strain work where another may not? The truth is; That both, Sativa and Indica are excellent Marijuana Strains for any time of the day and proven methods for treating all sorts of medical ailments.

These references explained above are only our general views on the subject Indica vs. Sativa and in no way should ever be referenced in any medical binding, publication, or encyclopedia.

*If you wish to advertize with ICMAG, then hit the ICMag button, top left of the page and go to 'Advertize with ICMAG'

Last edited by a moderator:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Sativa 14% THC, 4% CBD
Indica 14% THC, 4% CBD

The difference in effects? It's all in the terpene profile. :D

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Sam S had a good response here:

As for the most potent Landrace Indica,
all drug varieties are Indica, be they WLD, or NLD, while the effects are very different depending on terpene profile and %'s.
Some people prefer the Narcotic, physical effects of Afghan WLD varieties while others prefer the soaring up, clear, psychedelic high of NLD tropical varieties, it is a personal choice for the individual there is no single most potent landrace Indica, unless you judge by THC% alone which is just not correct.
-Sams

The difference in effect between indica and sativa, or any two strains, is in the cannabinoid profile. The terpenes are responsible for the aroma and flavour.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I'm not so sure that's true. Aren't a number of people doing experiments on adding terps to edibles, vapables and smokables and getting different highs?

I can not personally vouch for terps changing the high but more than a few people have.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The difference in effect between indica and sativa, or any two strains, is in the cannabinoid profile. The terpenes are responsible for the aroma and flavour.
The other cannabinoids do make a difference, yes. Though it's definitely not the THC:CBD ratio. The terpenes make a huge difference, and I'd say it's a larger difference than the additional cannabinoids make. Though I certainly don't know everything and would like to hear a lab analyst (who's had access to precise data) chime in. :)
Save

The terpenes make a huge difference, and I'd say it's a larger difference than the additional cannabinoids make.
I'm not sure why you would have this belief considering that all Cannabinoids interact with the Cannabinoid receptors (by definition) and most are psychoactive. On the other hand, terpenes are non-psychoactive and are also present in many fruits, flowers and herbs which don't get you high. :)

Cvh

Supermod
THC:CBD ratios have for sure an effect on the type of high.
But in my personal experience it are however the terpenes that has the most influence on the type of high.

I too suspect the terpene Myrcene being the one that causes that typical stoned Indica effect while the terp Limonene is the one that causes that uplifting high effect.

I grew last year a CBD Og Kush with a 50/50 THC:CBD ratio with a profound lemon scent and a Super Skunk with a CBD level that was neglectable with a strong skunky smell.
To my surprise the CBD Og Kush had an uplifting active effect and the Super Skunk glued me to couch with barely a high effect.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Not sure just how credible this is but they agree with you...

Myrcene

Myrcene is the most prevalent terpene and is found in most varieties of cannabis. Myrcene concentration dictates whether a strain will have an Indica or Sativa effect. Strains containing over 0.5% of myrcene produce a more sedative high, while strains containing less than 0.5% myrcene have an energizing effect. Myrcene is also present in thyme, hops, lemongrass, and citrus, and is used in aromatherapy.

Limonene

Limonene is a dominant terpene in strains with a pronounced Sativa effect. It is also found in the rinds of citrus fruits. Limonene aids in the absorption of other terpenes through the skin and mucous membranes, and has been used to treat anxiety and depression.

https://www.sclabs.com/terpenes/

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
If you want to understand more about sativa terpenes, then this is a pretty good place to start:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=323725

I have looked at hundreds of terpene analyses, and I have not found a straightforward code between indicas and sativas. Ocimene and Terpinolene seem to be in the most extreme sativas. I wonder how much it is the "sum is greater than the parts" and also how much the trace terpene elements have an effect?

axle2u

yes, id like that too,
where is a chemist, when ya need one eh.....lol

be nice to also be explained in "layman's" terms...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sam S had a good response here:

This quote by Sam S is complete non-sensical backwards bullshit!

Sativa is a latin term that mean cultivated. It means nothing more and nothing less!

ALL cannabis plants that are cultivated are SATIVA...

INDICA comes from the region known as INDIA just like AFGHANIS come from AFGHANISTAN and KUSH come from the HUNDU KUSH region that boarders Afghanastan, Pakastan, India & China.

SAM S started this bullshit sativa indica paradigm in order to get out of some charges he was facing in California!