What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for some advice on multi strain trees?

Kit Kat

Hey again y'all - back again for another round, this time trying something I haven't before and I'm looking for some advice on how to handle multi-strain trees. I'll be using the same space as last time, so an area roughly 10x10x6 with 4 plants.

The plants themselves are in standard nursery pots with what looks like 3 gallons or so of FFOF or something similar. These came from a local club and were already labeled. The only one I'm familiar with is Grapefruit Kush, which already smells just like I remember. Everything else here is totally new to me - growth profiles, taste, preferences, etc.

All of 'em

Medicine Woman

Grapefruit Kush

Grape God

Pineapple Punch

Currently have all the equipment from my previous grow available, and I was thinking of doing the standard X pattern with 4 600w in the corners, and one (maybe two stacked) in the middle. I know generally 1k is recommended, but I don't have that on hand and if possible would like to avoid purchasing new equipment for this run.

From my last grow I have all of the PVC and netting that I used to make Ichabod's screens, and I was thinking about converting these into square cages to sit around the plants for support.

Also left over is quite a bit of coco, the H&G line for coco and a good chunk of organic amendments and whatnot from what I did organic soils.

I'm thinking about using 5 gallon airpots to transplant into and perhaps use coco to place the soil rootball into? I haven't quite been in this situation before, so I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I can also get ahold of more general soil and use that if it's possible to run the H&G Cocos A/B with it.

Previously with the 4 lights + 16 plant screen set up I was able to keep the climate mostly under control during summer (with the addition of an AC) and a dehumidifier. Are larger plants going to require different climate controls than 16 smaller ones? Are there any must-know facts before starting to try and do some trees?

Kit Kat

After thinking about it during work I think I'm going to go with 10g smartpots, some kind of prebagged soil (FFOF, roots organic, black gold, something like that) and cut it with 20% coco for aeration and some worm castings/leaf mulch for microflora. Not sure how I'd combine straight coco with an already established soil rootball, and I'd like to avoid any issues that might cause.

To get it going once transplanted I'll brew an aerated tea and water with sea green through a top dressing of neem meal (for some bug preventative and a nitrogen boost for veg/stretch) and watch to see how it sets itself over the next couple of weeks. That'll be my 'buffer' time, since to keep to schedule I'll need to flip at the new year at the absolute latest.

With two blumats per pot hooked up to a pressure reducer to straight tap water that should take care of them for awhile with everything they need, and I can hand water in the coco a/b once the soil starts to deplete - or top dress some guanos under the blumat drippers.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Latest posts