What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

help a vert-noob, how to safely hang my barebulb and other ?'s

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Ok guys I finally got some sort of a plan together here is my equipment list:

1000w Dimmable/Switchable Quantum Ballast
1000w Hortilux bulbs (Open to other suggestions...)
These will be dimmed down to 400w to start and maybe 600w if temps are in check...

My question is how to hang it?

Here is the page for the quantum ballast

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/product_info.php?products_id=3385{38}217

And here is the page for the cord and adaptors

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/grow-light-components-c-124.html?page=1&sort=2a

i was thinking the first one on that page looked good what do you guys think?

Also I am cooling my area with a 6" 340CFM pansonic Whisperline... supposedly quietest inline fan available...

Thinking about going with a 6" x 16" Phresh filter... any suggestions on that?

Any random items I might need let me know, I know I will need a small "Honeywell" type fan to push hot air up slowly... and I know I will need some netting/training device of some sort.

Anything else you guys can think of?

D

DHF

Your pm was the cut and paste of the thread post so I thought I`d answer it in the thread for more folks to benefit than just you....and....

I answer pm`s that I deem private , but if it`s asked in open forum I`d rather let the community benefit from the info involved so everyone can learn and grow from......

The other pm you sent is a sore spot as I was called out for plagerising/copying another thread with my info that NO one could`ve ever gone through but me , but I digress....now.....

You did say if I felt uncomfortable about the question to disregard it so I did , but.....I`m happy to give guidance once your level of expertise , knowledge , and runs under your belt will benefit down the road .....and....

Eye Horti`s always did me proud for more lumen output compared to all the other bulbs I had access to even though they cost more , but I bought em by the case and got bulk discount for less than the Ushio`s sell for now so.......

To maintain air exchange twice per minute , you`ve gotta figure out how far the exhaust fan`s cfm`s are dialed down and compromised by the scrubbers resistance flowing through the filters and charcoal before exiting the room......but....

All things will be revealed through trial and error as well as from a lil help from knowledgeable experienced help here in Vert-ville.....Take a deep breath and start makin a plan.....

Many ways to skin a mule.......Very few ways to do it to perfection run after run consistently , but doin this shit makes all things possible with time and patience.......

Good luck ....DHF.....:ying:.....

bobblehead

Veteran
My question is how to hang it?

With a chain. If you hang the lamp from the cord, over time the cord stretches from the heat and gravity... I use straight romex with a mogul socket, but you can use pre-fab cordsets if you like.

I would suggest you just do it and learn from your mistakes. You will never be prepared for everything that goes on in a grow over several months until you've done it over and over.

Post pictures, get advice. I hate it when people come around, ask a bunch of questions, and then no thread. Cool. Not saying that's what you'll do. Peer pressure.

I bet if you filter my threads for DHF's posts, any question you have will be answered.

:lurk:

Alien_Dawg

Insulated ducting.. Kills so much noise and reduces lots of heat...
A good tip... if 6" fan.. use 8" ducting as this will reduce noise even more. ..

I have a 4" & 6" fan and my quantums are louder that the fans now.. lol
Not that they are that loud...

If just hanging 1 light.. Simple chains work great. .
Stacking bulbs can be trickier ...

2cents. ..

Peace....

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I use the first cord you linked too. I just hang it with a hook in the ceiling. I know bobble will call me a hack but hey I grow dope. The bottom light can be put on a stand like I use.

d4aa76db629fad514ad2031f1709c665_917548.jpg

If you look at the top of the vert section there is also a thread on making a light stand. Read that and pick what works best for you.

And bite me bobble let the cord stretch. Mine will be longer than yours. Might not work for long but mine has been longer than yours now for over a year and a half.

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
Lmao... I can't even make fun of your weed anymore cause its not bad... Its not mine :D but its not bad.

Long and floppy is no good. Better to be a little shorter and have some girth. It improves flow.

bobblehead

Veteran
Your pm was the cut and paste of the thread post so I thought I`d answer it in the thread for more folks to benefit than just you....and....
The other pm you sent is a sore spot as I was called out for plagerising/copying another thread with my info that NO one could`ve ever gone through but me , but I digress....now.....

You've gotta be referring to Julian's Wealth Through Stealth 101... Nobody told me about it, and I didn't come up with the exact titles of the thread about a guy who drove up and down the highway planting small patches of 5 plants, planting some for him and some for the cops/deer/rippers... And washing the money with real estate with a bunch of law and tax jargon that I was too young to understand at the time. I believe he used to have a meth-head partner that burned him so he decided to work alone? That thread? Out of thin air? Lol

Burry it dude.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
lol thanks for all the advice guys! this thread got way off track already but just for bobble I promise to keep it going man... haha I know I still need to finish your thread but my tiny 150w HPS bulb burned out and I decided it is the perfect time to upgrade so I didn't have enough to finish your thread but I have been filtering through by DHF's posts and I'm to about october 2012 lol... i'm getting close...

This might be a dumb question but are all HPS Mogul?
Will the cordset I linked work with the quantum ballast? sorry for the noob questions... just have never dealt with HPS besides a all in one 150w fixture lol...
I agree best way to find out is do it and learn from mistakes but I want to get equipment right so I don't have to order more shit in a week... lol

thanks for the tip on the insulated ducting alien dawg...
only one bulb being hung so will prob use that cordset if it fits to the quantums and then maybe connect it to a chain somehow so it doesn't stretch out the bulb like bobble said... no disresepct Ichabod... is that true about you forgetting to water or are you messing with bobble? If it is true I am sorry to hear that...

anyone know if you can put 600w 's in the 1000w quantum dimmable's or do you HAVE to dim the 1000w bulbs?

And does the Vert crew prefer Can or Phresh Filters? or another?

bobblehead

Veteran
lol thanks for all the advice guys! this thread got way off track already but just for bobble I promise to keep it going man... haha I know I still need to finish your thread but my tiny 150w HPS bulb burned out and I decided it is the perfect time to upgrade so I didn't have enough to finish your thread but I have been filtering through by DHF's posts and I'm to about october 2012 lol... i'm getting close...

This might be a dumb question but are all HPS Mogul?
Will the cordset I linked work with the quantum ballast? sorry for the noob questions... just have never dealt with HPS besides a all in one 150w fixture lol...
I agree best way to find out is do it and learn from mistakes but I want to get equipment right so I don't have to order more shit in a week... lol

thanks for the tip on the insulated ducting alien dawg...
only one bulb being hung so will prob use that cordset if it fits to the quantums and then maybe connect it to a chain somehow so it doesn't stretch out the bulb like bobble said... no disresepct Ichabod... is that true about you forgetting to water or are you messing with bobble? If it is true I am sorry to hear that...

anyone know if you can put 600w 's in the 1000w quantum dimmable's or do you HAVE to dim the 1000w bulbs?

And does the Vert crew prefer Can or Phresh Filters? or another?

Ichy didn't forget anything... That mother fucker doesn't smoke or drink. I wasn't sure whether or not he could be trusted at first... Haha... His wife had him busy doing man duties and he couldn't water the plants.

All HID lamps use mogul sockets. Yes the cordset you mentioned will work.

I use phresh filters.

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Your going to order more in a week then again in 3 day from that, then 5 after that...
Taken me a year of ordering stuff to get confidant that I have what's needed.. but..
I got things waiting to bought, when needed. ..lol

Get used to it bro... lol

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
thanks for all the help guys... going to start ordering tomorrow... prob will have some more questions lol...

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Yes I did lose a room. I set up a auto water system and didn't check it. Wasn't the wifes fault. Damn auto water systems will have to go back to hand watering.

Trial and error is the way you know what you need. With that said save some money as a reserve to make sure you can deal with anything that may pop up. Could be a blown bulb, bugs or any number of things.

L

lordofthenugz

I can't get any pics to post of it but an easy way to securely stack your bulbs is to use a bracket made of threaded rods with bolts under a clamp holder to adjust height.

I can't post any pics for some reason but I'm trying to find a similar setup to link you to.

Peace!

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
Well I am not stacking bulbs, just a single barebulb hanging... so I just wanted to know what was a safe way to hang to bulb? I am buying a 15ft lamp cord with a mogul base socket and just hanging it by that... thanks for trying to help though!

Latest posts

Latest posts