What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keep my see 1k hps or switch to cmh???

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
So I'm looking to revamp my current flower room. dimensions are 9ft long, 6 ft wide and 7 ft tall. I'm running 2 trays with 2k hps phantoms now but am looking to go to 3 3x3 trays and either add 1 more 1k or swap all 3 for cmh. I'm not looking to decrease my yield or quality, only my temps. Any cmh that produce an output similar to a 1k hps??
picture.php

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Keep those 1k if you don't want to lose yield and quality imho. I did a side by side with a 1k and a de 630 and the yield was half. 4x8 flood table with 1k on one side the de on the other side.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Is there any way I can make my 1k more efficient?? I'm trying to maximize my growth without losing quality. Is there a way I could use my overlapping light to cover a 3rd tray without the plants on the ends becomeing too stretchy?? My rooms wiring can't take another 1k on it...

Scrappy-doo

I won't go back to hps. CMH kills it in every way. That being said... the bulb matters. You want a genuine Philips brand 315 bulb. Far as I know, Philips doesn't make a DE 630 so I wouldn't trust any of those to be good quality. In my room, a single 315 yields like a 600 hps with better quality terps/resin.

There's hoods with double sockets that would be equivalent to a 1k hps. Issack had a great side by side recently with the Nanolux dual 315 hood and Philips bulbs vs hps 1k's.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352859

I'd go with those.

heatherlonglee

Just get a MH Blue and you'll have a better bulb no need to switch ballast/hood and all that. Eye Hortilux is the MH Blue I'd recommend, damn bulb is expensive. Flower with HPS then last 20 days finish with MH Blue.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I wish I had room for 12k. I'm in a small basement room and ha e enough room for 3 trays and 3 lights but Ive only got a 7ft ceiling

noknees

I wish I had room for 12k. I'm in a small basement room and ha e enough room for 3 trays and 3 lights but Ive only got a 7ft ceiling

if your'e going to make a switch, go LED with quantam boards. if you're working with a low ceiling, and are looking to reduce temps, that's as straight a line as it gets.

CMH seems like it would be a disappointing half-measure in your case

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I've tried led and it didn't compare to my 1k yields. I'm not looking to reduce my yield or my quality. When I tried led I tried 1 over a tray of gg4. A tray that should have yielded A P or more only did 9 oz.

noknees

I've tried led and it didn't compare to my 1k yields. I'm not looking to reduce my yield or my quality. When I tried led I tried 1 over a tray of gg4. A tray that should have yielded A P or more only did 9 oz.

they're not all created equal.

you gave up after a single tray? seems like a perfectly reasonable way to make a sweeping generalization.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=354047

if you want to swap your top-end LED for my 630 CMH, let me know :biggrin:

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
The led I tried was a bigeye 8. Ran on 440 watts. I ran it over one tray and then again over a group of soil plants until half of the LEDs burned out. At that point I scrapped it.

MrBungle

If you want to maximize your efficiency with 1 kw hps... switch your lighting to vertical as apposed to traditional horizontal lighting..

as for CMH.. I don't know enough about them to offer my thoughts

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I'm looking to upgrade my room lighting to become more efficient over 3 trays. In my room, I can't run 3k so I think 3 630s may be my best bet for best light coverage

p0opstlnksal0t

Ive got 4x 1kw HPS DE in a 10x10 7' tall tent lol

Ive been following Heisengrow on other forums, hes running the NanoLux 1kw CMH DE and he isnt happy with it. i think he feels a 1kw HPS is better.

Yeah raising it that high just wasn't giving enough light to the outside areas.

Yes but even than i think the DE HPS will put out more light on the outside.I dont think these put out enough light at that distance (36-40") unless you put them on 5 foot centers and light an entire area with overlap.
Using just 1 or 2 aint gonna work. The DE HPS would probably be a better option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrr0f7SfDro

Attachments

• 41994243_518133461982701_2624184445351562756_n(1).jpg
    41994243_518133461982701_2624184445351562756_n(1).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 25
  • 42810363_161721461425836_3271268861231411555_n.jpg
    42810363_161721461425836_3271268861231411555_n.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 22

MrBungle

I am using a DE HPS and I liked the results from vertical single ended HPS better personally.... I'm still working on dialing in my DE room.. So we will see...

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I don't know if what I'm looking at running is a de or not. Its a sunsystem 630 lec. Or a nanolux cmh630, whatever's gonna be more cost effective.id like to stack a few 1000s in a room but the wiring wouldn't support it. My rooms 9 x6x7