What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bud Candy VS sugar (Molasses, Raw Cane Juice & Malt extract)

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sup guys,

Not that you can notice as my pics are far from the best, but the Bud Candy treated plants have trichomes that are taller than the molasses/panela or control groups.Is that making any sense?? lol... I'll try n explain... The trichs normally emerge slowly as the plant builds up it's protection against UV rays, in this case HPS rays :D as the trich appear they grow in length, well the Bud Candy trichs are clearly longer, plus the Bud Candy buds seem very slightly ahead/ more fuller at this stage, I shit u not btw... I asked my misses to confirm I wasn't seeing & smelling things :joint: The trichs on the BC plants in general also spread further down the leaves too... I like this Bud Candy stuff thus far! The molasses treated plants seem to be a slight shade lighter than most of the other plants can't really tell in the pics though. They don't seem adversely affected by this slight difference in colour though... fucked up on the control pics this time but will get em next week

Bud Candy treated plant on right & Molasses/Panela on left

Bud Candy cola & lower bud

Molasses/panela cola & lower bud

D

danimal7

i used bud kandy last time and the trichromes were more greasy than sticky ...stuff tasted good too...better than usual...im using it again

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Cheers or the input danimal7,

here's today's update...

Wee update on the bc vs molasses/ panela or m&p as I will refer to the mix as from now@ day 27 bloom. I have used the frotiest, big cola'd control plant to see just how 1 average looking plant from the bc and m&p groups look against it.

I'll let the pics do all the talking apart from saying that the BC treated plants still smell the most and seem to be most advanced.

You be the judge...

Group shot

Average looking M&P treated plant

Average looking BC treated plant

One of the best looking untreated plants

toohighmf

Veteran
I'm glad to hear you are having good results with the stuff. I hear you on "longer" trichs. Erik is sending me the PPM-PH perfect line to test side by side my proven regimen. we shall see soon enough. thank you for posting your experiment. I will follow it all the way through.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hi toohigh, cheers for stopping by mate. I would be most interested to see/ hear about your findings with the ppm-pH perfect nute line. I am a pure newb when it comes to knowing what alot of this stuff is supposed to do and the science behind it, but am trying to bring myself up to speed.

I'm very interested in trying an experiment with the mel frank rec ppm's for bloom vs a leading line with all the bells and whistles myself. Just need to find out what is snake oil and what is worth a shot before embarking on that one. Not enough info on the science behind alot of this stuff here from what I can find... would appreciate any pointers if u know of any good threads/ reads. :)

xcrispi

Good read Shhh ,
Lotsa good input as well .
I've found Sucanat does the same thing as Molases for me and stayed suspened much better in hydro aplications. There's an old Ed Note article on here somewhere that's a good read as well , care if I post it here ?
Crispi
:hotbounce:hotbounce:hotbounce

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sup xcrispi, Sucanat, that's one I have to look up... If it stays suspended for longer than molasses and does the same thing then that's a good find bro.

Post up the Ed note for sure the more info the better :)

xcrispi

Hey Shhh ,
Here it is .

Ed rosenthal -
I’ve got a sweet tooth for sugary, candy-flavored ganja. In fact, sugar is
not only the cannabis plant’s source of energy for growth; it’s also the
primary factor that determines how good your favorite herb will taste when
you smoke it. In my many years of horticultural experimentation, I’ve tried
many different sugar supplements to augment my plants’ health and flavor,
and I want to share a few of my favorites. Some of this information will be
a refresher course for seasoned growers, but I’d like to start at the
beginning for the introductory grower and briefly explain the importance of
sugar to plants. Plants make their own sugars (carbohydrates) through
photosynthesis. Plants combine light energy (from the sun or a
high-intensity discharge lamp) with water and CO2 from the atmosphere (or a

CO2 tank or burner), and the result is sugar. This sugar is the essential
source of energy that’s utilized for all cellular division and the

formation of plant structures (i.e., huge, dank buds). Now, you can’t grow
a plant in the dark by watering it with sugar, but under otherwise good
growing conditions, you can supplement your nutrient solution with extra
sugars to boost the natural levels created by photosynthesis and make your
plants more vigorous and productive. The real icing on the cake, though,
comes from the fact that a little extra sugar will improve not only the
yield of your garden but also the flavor of your favorite herb.
For serious growers and/or gadget collectors, you can even measure the
amount of sugar (on this scale, we call it “brix,” pronounced bree) in your
plant with a device called a refractometer. Don’t shy away from the fancy
name if you’re afraid of complicated devices; this tool is super-easy to
operate. Using a sap extractor (or a pair of pliers), you can squeeze a
drop of juice out of a leaf and then place it on the refractometer’s
viewing plate. Look through the lens and you will see an obvious line
running across a column of numbers. Brix readings above 12 indicate good
plant health and a strong immune system. With a device like this, you’ll
impress your friends (“Oooh…a refracto-what?”) and also be able to detect
when a change in your feeding program or environment affects your crop as
the readings go up or down. Frequent checks of brix content in leaf tissue
will tell you whether your plants are on course or falling behind. Peaceful
Valley Farm Supply sells refractometers for $100, and you can find them
online at groworganic.com.

Until about seven or eight years ago, using sugar as a plant supplement was
a little-known trick more often employed by grandmothers on their
houseplants than ganja growers on their herb. But now the hydroponics
market is full of sugar (carbohydrate) supplements. In the beginning, there
were several glucose-based products, such as Carbo Load, Carbo Max, Karbo
Boost, etc. These are very cost-effective products as far as plant
supplements go, but they’re not as cheap as raw glucose itself (usually
sold as dextrose or corn sugar—it’s really the same thing), available at
brewery-supply outlets and online for just over $1 per pound—less than $1 a
pound if you buy in bulk. While glucose is readily available to plants as a
form of supplemental carbohydrates, it’s just one form of a simple sugar
and lacks the rich flavor found in other, darker kinds of sugar. It can
also be difficult to dissolve: If you dump a large amount into water all at
once, it has a tendency to form into a gelatinous wad of goo (of which even
a small amount can wreak havoc in a hydro garden with small drippers or
emitters). To avoid this, dissolve the amount necessary for your reservoir
into a beaker of warm water first and pour off the dissolved liquid. Leave
any undissolved materials at the bottom of the beaker and add more water
until fully dissolved. The use of these products will indeed boost brix
levels, but it doesn’t do much for flavor enhancement, which is what this
article is all about.
My all-time-favorite source of supplemental sugar isn’t sold by a
plant-nutrient company. It’s Sucanat—a form of dark raw sugar sold as a
sweetener for foods in natural-food stores everywhere. But Sucanat is a
great sweetener for your sinsemilla, too. Made by Wholesome Sweeteners,
Sucanat is short for “Sugar Cane Natural,” a dried cane extract available
for under $3 per pound. Sucanat is darker than most organic sugars and has
a more molasses-like consistency to it because it hasn’t been separated or
refined. It will increase the brix content in plants, but the darker sugar
has more vitamins and minerals and a rich caramel aroma as well. Sucanat
dissolves readily in hot water and doesn’t seem to turn into goo like
dextrose does.

Peace all
Crispi

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Thanks for that mate, I had a look for one of those brix meters... they are not so badly priced at all, if that actually works as a way to tell which product is enabling the plant to store/produce more sugars then I will have to buy one of those asap. Wish I knew that existed before as the eye is easily mistaken and camera (unless your good with one) makes it hard to tell the full story.

Few pics @ 4.5 weeks the half way mark for these plants...

Control then BC then M&P from left to right.

M&P plant

BC plant

Control plant

Look at the macro/close ups of the cola's (2nd pics from each test group) to see the slight differences in bud development, colour and trichs, please give some feedback on what you think :) I think some differences are becoming a lil more noticeable

EC 1.8 (background EC 0.6)
pH 6.1

Canna Terra @ 4ml per L
B'cuzz bloom stimulator @ 1ml per L
Gnat off (bloody rip off) @ 1ml per L but cost is outrageous! Going back to nilnat when I can find it.
Plagron Green Sensation (aka top activator) @ 0.5ml per L
This Green Sensation smells like bloody milkshake I kid u not! The ingredients list lactose lol! It's also got various P& K sources too. Girls seem to like it as they are plumping up nicely and haven't shown any adverse effects as of yet.

peace

~S

Tokesome

You have some nice little frosty nugs forming here. I`m interested to see what you find out here.

I was in the grow shop a few days back and I asked about Bud Candy, they had it in stock. He said He`s sold it to a number of people and heard nothing but bad things about it. No difference in yield and clogging drippers up. Oh they`rre pushing Canna by the way.

Cheers, Toke ;-)

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Ive used both, and I have to say that molasses is cheaper but doesn't do as much as the Bud Candy did.

picture.php

40 Dayz..White Satin from Mandala grown with foxfarm solubles and Bud Candy.

The smell from these buds was pure sugar, and the taste after curing reminded me of sugary pie crust.

Grass Lands

Veteran
i used bud kandy last time and the trichromes were more greasy than sticky ...stuff tasted good too...better than usual...im using it again

man I thought it was me...we ran a couple plants on the AN Big Bud 0-2-4 the rest on the norm Beasties Bloomz and as you stated, the AN was greasy where the BB was sticky...

Tokesome

Heh heh, I like yer signature quote Grass Lands, its when you`ve had just about enough edibles tho I`d say. ;-)

Toke

joedub

man I thought it was me...we ran a couple plants on the AN Big Bud 0-2-4 the rest on the norm Beasties Bloomz and as you stated, the AN was greasy where the BB was sticky...
Is this a good thing? or a bad thing? I'm interested because I'm not a user of Sweet or Bud Candy or any of those types of products, I do use Molasses though and love it. but as far as greasy that's very interesting, sounds like essential oils? was it the bud candy or the different Bloom boosters you used?

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Week 5 bloom

Week 5 bloom

Sup peeps thanks for the input... I reserve judgement until all is said and done, but here are this weeks thoughts~

Again.... I'm not sure if it's easy to tell from the pics but the BC treated plant has the most advanced buds, they seem a few days in front of everything else, but the M&P treated plants have some nice sized cola developing. Although, I should state that the largest cola also belongs to the BC group. It's really hard to tell which plants have the most trichs on em as they are all frosty as fook, the stench the BC plants were producing that seemed more pungent than the control and M&P plants is a feature of all groups now, which makes me come back to the BC plants seeming to be a lil ahead in terms of growth than the other 2 groups which is not what I expected or was looking for, I thought it was all about taste, smell & amount of trichs that it would add - which I will decided on when chopped and smoked. Yet it seems to have another effect too, this advancement in growth... which will also be confirmed when the trichs start to get checked about week 8.5 just before the chop.

~ Control/ BC/ M&P left to right ~

~M&P~

~BC~

~Control~

toohighmf

Veteran
is it just me, or is the BC and control suffering an ever so minimal chlorosis? the M&P plant looks just as good as the BC as far as trichs go to me. can you tell us what you think seeing them up close and personal? looking great for 5 weeks!

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sup toohigh & Greenmopho.

@ toohigh, yeah they are very slightly lighter. Doesn't seem apparent with all from these groups though. Also I am trying to get the watering/ feeding dialled in and have let them get a lil dryer than I should have on a couple of occasions that may have added to the slight chlorosis as they cannibalized themselfs :D Not 100% sure, so I'll have a good look later to see if it is a feature of the control & BC groups.

You are also right in suggesting that the BC & M&P treated plants are just as good as each other in terms of trichs. My misses has suggested that the M&P cola's have a more solid look to them whereas the BC cola's are slightly ahead in terms of stage of growth I concur with her thus far.

At this stage it would seem the main benefits of BC are the slight advancement (maybe 2-3) days in stage of growth.

I really can't tell the difference between the BC & M&P groups in terms of trichs or smell right now. They are definitely more trich'd out than the control group at this point and the control are also a receiving trich boosting additive - bcuzz bloom stimulator. The BC & M&P groups also get this stuff too though.

@ Greenmopho 4sure buddy that's what I am saying. The true test is the in the smoke, but I thought it would be cool to trough up the pics along the way. Even though they aint the best, lol.

Cheers for stopping by guys :)

oahi

thanks a lot for taking the time to do this ~shhh~ being a newb and all. its really nice knowing its not bias. As I've been very interested in this subject.