What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trichome "Myth"? What do you think?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was perusing another forum that has auto section (Starts with an "R", ends with an "I") when someone asked about wanting a heady sensation.

After growing over 4 decades, trichomes are part of telling about a plant's readying to harvest, esp. autos. Trichomes can be affected by heat, light just as other trichome plants react.

A fellow said, "That's a MYTH!" regarding judging trichomes to gauge when to chop (besides the obvious cessation of fan and 2ndary leaves).

If it were a "myth, don't you think the internet would light up saying so? Checked Jorges Cervantes, Kyle Kushman's answers on trichomes and being clear (not ready), milky (ready), amber, starting degradation and full blown degradation 100% amber being like an over-ripe banana (analogy).

Would like to read your thoughts, experiences and notations regarding reading trichomes via jeweler's loupe or magnifying glass to judge when ready. Back in the late '70's, we hacked when pistils were brown or red, not looking at trichomes.

After all these decades, am I incorrect in 'reading trichomes' to judge when to whack it down....auto or photoperiod??

Appreciate answers.

Mattbho

I have a chem mix that will shoot white hairs with amber heads.

Loupe is kinda necessary tool I like checking the same buds as it seems no 2 are the same ripeness

JDubsocal

Aridbud, first, much respect to your growing skills.
When I first started growing, I went by the pistil colors. Then I helped out a friend who taught me much and schooled me on the jeweler's loop to check the trichomes. By using that method I have found the potency and flavor of the plant to be much better.
Dont get me wrong, I can still get high from clear trichomes, but with the right milky/amber ratio I get STONED.
To truly test this theory I think we should take clones and harvest at different times and prove if it is myth or truth.
Have a great grow!

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
i think that guy on roll was messin with ya. there's truth in trichomez towardz the end.did the ol piosil game too until i learned to look at resin glandz

superpedro

Veteran
I am a strong beliver in looking at trichomes.
But with that being said, if I am growing from seed and looking for keepers, I usually cut down a single bud in advance, and leave a bud after main havest for a few days.
First cut when they gone milky, big harvest with some 50% turning yellow/amber and last one with around 50% of dark amber.
IMO - the effect of a slightly unmature/overmature bud depends on cannabinoid composition. Sometimes my own idea of the "perfect stone" perhaps differs from the breeder a bit..

Chappi

Plants grow new bracts daily once they’re in full flowering phase. Each bract matures independently than the rest. Therefore some bracts will have trichomes that mature at different rates. Personally I use a loupe and look at a number of flowers throughout the plant to get a good gauge of where the plant is as far as ripeness goes. As far as desired effect it’s obvious to me that it depends on the strain, not all clear, cloudy or amber trichomes will give you the same effect, not to mention the terpene profile. The best way to find out is to test the flowers at different levels of maturity along with everything else you do to check for maturity.

T

Teddybrae

OK, a.b. what's a pistil on a cannabis bud? Are pistils the white things; or are trichomes the white things?

I think this is a subjective topic. I cannot imagine what you Connoisseurs claim to experience. Like there is stoned and then there is really stoned. There is?

Nup.

Cvh

Supermod
I also always go by the trichomes.

Aridbud, how did that lad say how we then should do it when it's all just a myth?

I always try to keep my mind open. In the past I also thought that the effects of Cannabis was because of the Cannabinoids. It's was just later that I learned that it's actually the terpenes.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Having harvested way too early and way too late many times and always seen a correlation in trichomes to the quality of high it's pretty obvious it's a good sign of how close the plant is to ripeness and senescence in flower.

My preference is around 5-10% amber and everything else milky if possible..

With really sativa dom ish its a different story.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Kids these days....

That's why icmag is so great. Misinformation does not get far around these parts compared to other forums, the one you mentioned particularly.

Folks over on riu driving nails through their stalks for fook sake..

I think beginners and inexperienced growers tend to go by the pistils rather than trichs. I know several growers back in the day around here did the same. Once word got around to check trichs, weed got much better.

hayday

Veteran
I understand that clear trics are early and amber is late for couchlock but what for the flavor and aroma?
I'm color blind so amber is illusive to me but most of my strains I can harvest by the way they retain flavor. Sweetooth, although it gets stonger at 75 days tastes better cut at 60. Cures with fruity terps better too .
I guess for me its best to know your strain,I dont use a loop so much anymore.

superpedro

Veteran
IMO there is part truth and part myth in the assumption that late harvest/dark trics turns weed into couchlock. I would rather call it "looses some head-high".
Some indica strains I really like for couchlock effects gets dull from taking them even a bit too far. Not more couchlock just less intense overall.
I see development more as effects get more and more complex as they mature, until a point when it all drops off.

MindEater

Kids these days....

Folks over on riu driving nails through their stalks for fook sake..

What's your Columbian Gold taste like I wonder. And is it even gold? Do you need consultation?

Aridbud, you don't need dogma after years of experience. Just observe reality. Why do we need to assist you in observing reality? If your reality is subjective,then what's the point, create your own myth and embrace it for whatever it is. Are you writing a book or somethin?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
What's your Columbian Gold taste like I wonder. And is it even gold? Do you need consultation?

Aridbud, you don't need dogma after years of experience. Just observe reality. Why do we need to assist you in observing reality? If your reality is subjective,then what's the point, create your own myth and embrace it for whatever it is. Are you writing a book or somethin?

Eh? This post doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Thanks, all, for input.

The answer is NO, I'm not writing a book. I was looking at auto section compared to ours. A noob asked wanting a "heady high". Some "well known member" said it was a myth about trichomes.
Same with discussion here on water only the last few weeks to remove nutrients in medium....supposedly that was a myth, but dispelled after I Googled the exact comment from a PhD that said the verdict is not in that "flushing" is a myth. I've tasted enough synthetic nute residue on buds, it makes my fillings hurt!!

I should have asked site your sources, perhaps from AFN as fellow was pimping that site. He told this noob incorrectly. It riles me when someone who is growing autoflowers 1-2 times being fed wrong info, hence my question to all you seasoned growers.

Being the inquisitive type, I Googled and found no basis being a myth. There are conditions as those have said.....and I agree. How far a lamp/light is, heat affects plants.Trichomes can be insulating by keeping frost away from leaf cells. They can help reduce evaporation by protecting the plant from wind and heat. In many cases, trichomes protect plants from herbivorous insects that may want to feed on them.

I know a lot about autoflowers, but still learn tidbits.

But to say it's a "MYTH" that looking at trichomes to judge when a plant is ready and the effect desired, it just wasn't right. The noob accepted the info as fact.

Again, that's the reason I love IC so much....pertinent relevant information, input from members in the know. Much appreciated!

The vibe over there is strange....so I go on ever so often to see comments made for afterthought autos. Most are positive, others, because they have no idea HOW to grow autos, say negative things, which I cannot defend...it's their experience and they talked smack. Oh well...

Keep em coming...comments, criticism.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, a.b. what's a pistil on a cannabis bud? Are pistils the white things; or are trichomes the white things?

I think this is a subjective topic. I cannot imagine what you Connoisseurs claim to experience. Like there is stoned and then there is really stoned. There is?

Nup.

Trichomes are tiny, microscopic crystal-like particles that grow on cannabis. They are what give some buds that frosty appearance, and are treasured by both recreational and medicinal users for harnessing the power of cannabis.

The word trichome is derived from the Greek word Tríchōma which means “growth of hair.” When looked at at under a microscope, trichomes do slightly resemble hairs or mushrooms. To the naked eye, however, they look more like tiny crystals.

Trichomes are known for making particularly potent weed feel sticky and giving off a strong aroma. That is because trichomes are actually responsible for storing the highest concentrations of cannabinoids and terpenes that give cannabis its unique aromas, flavors, and effects.

A pistil is a female cannabis plant sex organ. To the ordinary decent home grower, a pistil is a hair that protrudes from a calyx on a female flower. They are also known as stigmas. When a pistillate hair comes into contact with pollen from a male cannabis plant, it is then pollinated.

Attachments

• cannabis trichomes.jpg
    cannabis trichomes.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 49
  • BL_early_pistils_1.jpg
    BL_early_pistils_1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

'Boogieman'

Most strains I have grown did me well by judging the trichomes. Special kush#1 from rqs however is not one of those strains.

This is outdoor grown from 2 plants. The stuff I cut earlier due to mold gets me quite a bit higher then when I waited for amber trichomes. The early cut has no amber and about a 50/50 mix of clear/cloudy trichomes and the pistols were also about 50/50 white and red. The buds with about 10% amber gives me a barely noticeable body buzz with no head buzz and just feels dull, the early cut actually gets me quite high with euphoria and is much more enjoyable. It's supposedly afghani x Pakistan and it's the only strain that was better cut early.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There was deflection when I asked about citing sources. Clearly spreading false info. Will stick to IC Mag....like superglue!!!! Thanks all!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I may be a tad off topic with this but I didn't want to start a new thread over it.....

I have 4 auto's that are in week 14. 2 show cloudy trics with zero amber and 2 are still showing crystal clear trics.

Is that common for autos in week 14? This is my first auto grow.

Thanks

Latest posts

Latest posts