What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why Hang Them?

brickweeder

...Perhaps it turned brown because it was left under the full lighting?
I believe this is true. I had a jar of bud sitting on a table that got light afternoon sun for a couple hours a day. 6 weeks later I noticed it losing the green, 3 months and it was more brown than green. My other jar of the same bud that was kept in the dark hasn't browned.

Only difference was the sun.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
How did the brown stuff taste compared to the green?

Sounds like an idea for a song... that light green, that bobby brown..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
My buds go brown even when I trim green.

If you've got a few plants trimming dry is a pain.

Scissors get sticky as fuck and you've got to keep cleaning them. Everything sticks to your fingers ... like the joint and so you burn your lips ... and if you want a pretty-looking bud the brown leaves stick to the bud and your scissors and fingers get even more sticky!!! And then you rub your eyes and the fucking pain comes and you can't see until you wash your eyelashes with Metho or like that.

I say trimming dry is no good!
hey teddy ,
the buds going brown must be from too much moisture present during the drying process ,

they should dry green typically if done correctly ,

we used to add a small gas flame to heat our dry area once we hung the herb in there , the more green material , the more humidity when drying ,, so unless its quite hot , you will need somthing to reduce the humidity and thereby avoiding the browning ,
the trick to trimming and avoiding those things you mention is have a cup of meths to dip your scissors in , wipe them off , bingo , u have a clean blade no resin will gum up for a while at least ,
hold the stem and dont touch the buds while u trim so your fingers dont end up covered in resin too , its a pita and its reducing the resin on the buds ...

MindEater

Lots of differing opinions. Some make sense, some do not. We have all had plants that died during a grow from a clogged dripper. It shrivels up and then turns brown.

I've got rooted plants sitting without water under flower cycle for a couple weeks, bright neon. Wonder what's the difference? Fans leaves will turn brown, after nitro fade, but not buds,not stalks.. must be magic.

As to why hang whole? To limit jasmonate production signaled by injury, which haults/replaces funk production. I don't want my bud to stop smelling like bud and smell like a lawnmower deck for a week,hoping it converts back to aromatically/gustatorially desirable fatty acid derivatives at some point.

redlaser

Veteran
As far as drying the plant upright for ease of trimming, I have seen that with a guy that was using a dry machine trimmer.
Point being the small fan leaves don’t claw over the bud reducing contact with the machine blades.
If dried upright the leaf gets sheared at the petiole and leaves reduced final trim work. Drying upright if you have more than a few plants is the challenge

ganjourno

Reason to hang upside down is simple: it keeps the leaves away from the buds making it easier to trim. I’ve done it both ways and drying right-side-up causes the sugar leaf to drop onto the buds and then get stuck there, which leads to lots of shitty sticky scissor work to get in there and pry them loose. Upside-down the leaves peel away from the buds and can be cleanly snipped or pulled off. Upside down is half again faster to trim than right-side-up, and buds end up looking better as well.