What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it time to harvest?

webwiller

Hi there!

Yep...after a rich "plateau" of mistakes, after my girls went through an underwatering resistance game, nutes burn, light burn, improper training, amusing Gnats & God only knows what I'm leaving out...it's approaching harvest time!

The tough question at this point is...how the heck am I supposed to guess when it's the best time to harvest?

Well, I did some research and apparently few clear trichomes, most of them milky and amber pistils would be the all-in-one recipe that tells me harvest time is here.

From theory to practice things are not tremendously obvious, therefore I'm here to ask you if what I see corresponds or not to the description above (and nonetheless IF the description above actually IS correct and indicates the best time to harvest the buds).

Armed with a digital scope (Plugable 250x Digital Scope, nothing fancy, if wondering) I took 2 specimens: one from a lower site bud, the second one from one of the main colas.

Here the pics, feel free to shower opinions do's & don't and whatever you like to add to the cake!

Here we go:

Pic#1 Lower Bud Site:
S20190821-0005.jpg

Pic#2 Other lower bud site:
S20190821-0013.jpg

Pic#3 Main colas bud site:
S20190821-0009.jpg

Pic#4 Main colas bud site:
S20190821-0012.jpg

Pic#5 Same Pic as #4 but different lightning:
S20190821-0013.jpg

Thanks for sharing your master,
WW

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would agree to what I'm back said. Still too many clear ones.
Wait for more milky overall and at that time you'll most likely also have some already going amber which is the sign it's at the end of it's life cycle and time to harvest the ladies.
CC

webwiller

Flush Time?!

Flush Time?!

I would agree to what I'm back said. Still too many clear ones.
Wait for more milky overall and at that time you'll most likely also have some already going amber which is the sign it's at the end of it's life cycle and time to harvest the ladies.
CC

Many thanks!
In your experience (question open to anyone) how much longer should it take?

I'm not in a hurry but I wonder when to begin the H2Only for the flush...

Thanks!
:tiphat:
WW

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Many thanks!
In your experience (question open to anyone) how much longer should it take?

I'm not in a hurry but I wonder when to begin the H2Only for the flush...

Thanks!
WW
Now that's the M $ question. It is all plant dependent (strain) how quick they finish. Use the breeder's info to ball park them and go from there.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best guesstimation, 2+ weeks. You can start with water only. Most mediums have enough reserve....you'll be diluting any nutrient build up.

Nice shots as agent said!!

webwiller

Ohhhh...Thankssss!!!!

Ohhhh...Thankssss!!!!

Best guesstimation, 2+ weeks. You can start with water only. Most mediums have enough reserve....you'll be diluting any nutrient build up.

Nice shots as agent said!!

At Last!!! :groupwave:
I do understand that plants aren't math or engineer... but what I was after is just a simple "educated guess" from experienced growers! Thanks for the compliments but I didn't do much really, I just mouse-clicked, the rest was the Scope's "piece".

Now I got it! I'm giggling happily! He he! :biggrin:

For the record, I was sooo stoned (stoned-born, :dance013: no need for "extras", I wish I did tough! Had an excuse, ha!) that I messed up the plants and I'm not 100% positive about which DOB is which. They are 5 days apart...but considering these 5 days tolerance, this should be the 9th week and by the book (the seed bank strain-description) they should be ready in 9-10 weeks from sprouting.

:thank you:
WW

F

Frylock

My harvest window is pretty much 'whenever i feel like it' these days :biglaugh:

I used to get impatient and harvest a little early sometimes and then i overdid it and became a bit of a 'i know i should harvest now but i'll give it another day' which turned into another day and another day.

Eventually it just became when i'm satisfied with the look and smell- i chop.

webwiller

"High" is always (also, obv) time-dependent?

"High" is always (also, obv) time-dependent?

My harvest window is pretty much 'whenever i feel like it' these days :biglaugh:

I used to get impatient and harvest a little early sometimes and then i overdid it and became a bit of a 'i know i should harvest now but i'll give it another day' which turned into another day and another day.

Eventually, it just became when I'm satisfied with the look and smell- i chop.

I read about harvesting earlier if you want a more psychedelic/euphoric effect or later for more of a body-stoned. The article was about mainly Sativa's hybrids...but I'm wondering if there's a similar difference for mainly Indica too.

For example, if you harvest somewhat early you achieve more of a "clear" effect, less sleepy, less couch-lock style.

Is there some difference of this sort for every strain or it regards strictly a more "balanced" strain? - like 50/50 or 60/40... you harvest early for a clear, euphoric high or later to bring out more Indica's style high-.
WW

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
It all depends what YOU are after and if you are a rec user or a patient. Breeders recs are suggested time for their "specific" grow climate and conditions. These conditions change. You are asking for a definite, for which no CONCRETE answers are available. I veg for 8 weeks (reduces stretch) and flower for 8-10. Sometimes I have to delay harvest and some time I have to flush early. Don't think that a week will make a HUGE difference one way or the other.

You will get better at estimating once you have a few more grows under your belt, especially if you are growing various genetics!

Myself, I lean towards CBD as I'm a med user. I am strictly Indica during the evening as well. One size does not fit all. Don't get me wrong. I do medicate with Sativas but, I am not after a racy head rush, which also leads to anxiety!

webwiller

It all depends what YOU are after and if you are a rec user or a patient...

...Myself, I lean towards CBD as I'm a med user. I am strictly Indica during the evening as well. One size does not fit all. Don't get me wrong. I do medicate with Sativas but, I am not after a racy head rush, which also leads to anxiety!

You open an interesting new chapter here though. Yeas, surely it's subjective, surely is strain-dependent, surely is environment-dependent and surely experience will have its say.

Being my first time (writing this makes me feel early teen somehow, weird..:) ) I didn't choose what I liked to. I was dead-scared by the smell, therefore, I chose a no-smell-strain (and this one I got right, at least!) which was "ok" for other reasons too, size, to add one.

"High" type was not on the top-ten.

This second growth I just began I choose 2 strains I like. But I have a little "hands-on", I "know" (more or less...I'd say less) what to expect. To make it better, I'm ready for the challenge, it's not that I know a fu**in' notin' really...

These plants I'm fairly close to harvest are two Blumatic, which is an RQS version of an Auto-Blueberry. And one is again from RQS, its name's Quick-One, an Auto mix of an Old School Indica x Afghan (lot's of words I repeat like a parrot).

They DID do not small.
They DID do stay short.
They DID do survive some pretty rough newbie's abuses.
They WILL provide a smoke of some sorts (hopefully better than the horribly expensive, cheap, old, dried hash...or at least at its level, shouldn't be hard eh!)

You know, I use CBD as well. I have an illness which give me spasms while eating, and with CBD is just gone. It used to bother quite a lot, with no proper medical treatment for it.

I have some seeds of CBD 30:1, again from RQS. The name refers to the %, 20% CBD and 0.5% THC. I got it becaause my intention was to try a mix with high THC but high THC too. And what I'd like would be a 25%/25%+, this would be a weed I'd love to vape. I didn't find any strain like this. So I thought to mix half of a 25%S Sativa's Hybrid and the CBD 30:1 I told you before. Will see. For the time being I use the CBD oil I bought online. I believe there's hardly a decent amount of CBD in those dispensers but...I have to give it its time.

Gosh! Vegetating for 8 weeks, two full months, against all those "strategies" from SOG, Scrog, Supercropping, Main-Lining and who know what else. Is it worth the dollar keeping 'em light up 2 full months when harvest comes?

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Commercially they churn and burn. My next run I will veg for 4, only because I am changing my nute line and will follow what they have to say. I will reevaluate after the run. I keep judicious notes wrt what I do. I do a post mortem on my notes and the root balls after I am done, to see which areas I can improve. I have more or less partnered with a local grower and will be more or less doing what he is doing. We are growing the same strains and we are comparing notes. Forums are nice but hands on with somebody local "golden".

The veging for 6-8 weeks came from a respected individual on here. As "juvenile plants" take longer to show their sexes. That being said, I am also seeing issues developing at the same time frame. Hence, why I want to veg for 4 weeks next run and take it from there, in hope of going to 6 weeks, perhaps not.

I LST, I don't like SCROG as I want to be free to lift my plants out of the tent as required. SCROGING would require me to do all my maintenance on my hands and knees from the door of the tent. Simply not convenient nor suitable in my situation. I would rather concede a little yield for comfort and convenience. I take "baby steps" e.g do something this run, evaluate and correct as required, if required. e.g applying lessons learned. I will also get rid of the bottom 1/3 of the plant, to concentrate the energy where it is needed.

From local opinion, I am on the right track and grow good weed. Not, hard to do really. Most claim that what "we" grow beats commercial OPs hands down. You worry about running lights and equip for prolonged periods of time. I am waaaay ahead of the bell curve wrt having not only to purchase from the BM, but miles ahead of the legal cannabis sold in Canada. The money I have saved, growing my own, is coming to fruition. e.g what cannabis would cost locally and at the dispensaries. Outside of my power bill, and buying nutes/soil. It is pure profit e.g I am growing virtually for free. Equipment is bought and paid for :)

Wrt your girls, some are all cloudy and some are clear. The cloudy ones will be ready before the others. No biggy! Most run different strains at the same time and often harvest at different intervals.

If I was to take an educated guess, the cloudies in 2 weeks and the clears in 3. <--- Please understand those are guesstimates!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
How come you "don't have anything"... not true!
A good laugh is something! LOL!
Thanks mate!
WW
Well I mostly meant everybody said what I was gonna say :D And I think I'mBack has post on the next page about harvesting it when it's right for you, so yeah, I don't really have anything useful to add :)

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
@ [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]webwiller... AP is a man of few words. It's not his 1st dance :)

In my most humblest of opinions, too many cooks spoil the broth. I was Switcher56 before, I could no longer log in to that account. You will not find any posts from me asking about a plant deficiency. Why? Waaaay to confusing. Everybody sees the same picture and we have hundreds of opinions. So, how is a neophyte suppose to learn when it becomes a "pig and a poke"? e.g a Potassium deficiency is often misdiagnosed as a calmag def. It does seem calmag is at the top of the hit parade for some reason. Until an old crusty vet comes along and points you in the right direction.

You need to remember that some of these folks have been regurgitating this information for ages. It gets tiresome after a while and I can see where they are coming from. It is further exacerbated by folks who don't know sheet from chinola arguing with the folks that are trying to help them. Those particular individuals are OMIL. It is what it is :(
[/FONT]

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Well the thing about harvest is, only you know the high you are chasing. The high I want, isn't the high he wants, isn't the high she wants, etc. My problem is when people say, this is when to harvest, and that's the only time to harvest, and that's the final say. My recommendation is always to harvest a branch week or two early, before you normally would, harvest most of it when you think it's "ready", and leave a branch to grab a few weeks after that. That way you can compare them and find what gives the high you are chasing.

webwiller

It is what it is...and could be worse ;)

It is what it is...and could be worse ;)

Commercially they churn and burn. My next run I will veg for 4, only because I am changing my nute line and will follow what they have to say. I will reevaluate after the run. I keep judicious notes wrt what I do. I do a post mortem on my notes and the root balls after I am done, to see which areas I can improve. I have more or less partnered with a local grower and will be more or less doing what he is doing. We are growing the same strains and we are comparing notes. Forums are nice but hands on with somebody local "golden".

The veging for 6-8 weeks came from a respected individual on here. As "juvenile plants" take longer to show their sexes. That being said, I am also seeing issues developing at the same time frame. Hence, why I want to veg for 4 weeks next run and take it from there, in hope of going to 6 weeks, perhaps not.

I LST, I don't like SCROG as I want to be free to lift my plants out of the tent as required. SCROGING would require me to do all my maintenance on my hands and knees from the door of the tent. Simply not convenient nor suitable in my situation. I would rather concede a little yield for comfort and convenience. I take "baby steps" e.g do something this run, evaluate and correct as required, if required. e.g applying lessons learned. I will also get rid of the bottom 1/3 of the plant, to concentrate the energy where it is needed.

From local opinion, I am on the right track and grow good weed. Not, hard to do really. Most claim that what "we" grow beats commercial OPs hands down. You worry about running lights and equip for prolonged periods of time. I am waaaay ahead of the bell curve wrt having not only to purchase from the BM, but miles ahead of the legal cannabis sold in Canada. The money I have saved, growing my own, is coming to fruition. e.g what cannabis would cost locally and at the dispensaries. Outside of my power bill, and buying nutes/soil. It is pure profit e.g I am growing virtually for free. Equipment is bought and paid for :)

Wrt your girls, some are all cloudy and some are clear. The cloudy ones will be ready before the others. No biggy! Most run different strains at the same time and often harvest at different intervals.

If I was to take an educated guess, the cloudiest in 2 weeks and the clears in 3. <--- Please understand those are guesstimates!

I'll take your guesstimates for what it is. And it's just fine like that ;)

For the rest...well, I see your point. Every two pair of eyes seem to watch its own facade of the same reality. But in the end...misdiagnosis does happen to Professors who run entire hospitals ...I guesstimate I'll handle with some too ;)

What I see of great value is the possibility to be mentored or, at a different stage, to compare and discuss "live". Humongous difference!

Well, you are well taken care of as I can hear...(yeah...I hear voices sometimes...) with free equipment, free live mentoring "sessions"...No, myself invested 3k$ give or take in this hobby. But I just retired this year, I'm entitled to spend some of my life efforts in a hobby, innit?!

You're absolutely right...everyone sees with his own set of eyes and you are never sure....but if it's the best you have you just try and take something good out of it. I don't have to follow one suggestion or the other or even both, I have to use them, corroborate them with plenty literature, possibly having this confirmed many times and lastly consider that I have my own set of eyes too ;)

I'll keep you updated with some more fancy pictures in the next week or so...for a guesstimate-update!

WW

webwiller

Well the thing about harvest is, only you know the high you are chasing. The high I want, isn't the high he wants, isn't the high she wants, etc. My problem is when people say, this is when to harvest, and that's the only time to harvest, and that's the final say. My recommendation is always to harvest a branch week or two early, before you normally would, harvest most of it when you think it's "ready", and leave a branch to grab a few weeks after that. That way you can compare them and find what gives the high you are chasing.

I think I really like this one! I'll do that! Sure...something like 1/5 - 3/5 when you "believe" their ready - 1/5 one week later. I'm not good at math but surely decent at eyeballing! ;)

I'll update you on this one, it'll take 1 more month tough. We'll still be here anyway...
WW

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I'll take your guesstimates for what it is. And it's just fine like that ;)

For the rest...well, I see your point. Every two pair of eyes seem to watch its own facade of the same reality. But in the end...misdiagnosis does happen to Professors who run entire hospitals ...I guesstimate I'll handle with some too ;)

What I see of great value is the possibility to be mentored or, at a different stage, to compare and discuss "live". Humongous difference!

Well, you are well taken care of as I can hear...(yeah...I hear voices sometimes...) with free equipment, free live mentoring "sessions"...No, myself invested 3k$ give or take in this hobby. But I just retired this year, I'm entitled to spend some of my life efforts in a hobby, innit?!

You're absolutely right...everyone sees with his own set of eyes and you are never sure....but if it's the best you have you just try and take something good out of it. I don't have to follow one suggestion or the other or even both, I have to use them, corroborate them with plenty literature, possibly having this confirmed many times and lastly consider that I have my own set of eyes too ;)

I'll keep you updated with some more fancy pictures in the next week or so...for a guesstimate-update!

WW
The point I was trying to make... "On est jamais mieux servi, que par soi même" (We are never better served than by ourselves).

Of course it goes without saying that one cannot gather experience from a book. OTOH the soonest one is able to interpret the knowledge gained from literature and hands on, the better off that individual is. Self sufficiency! Because sometimes we need answers like "yesterday"

The relationship I have fostered with a local grower (med patient) is priceless. Not only that he is just down the road from me. That being said it is an exchange of information vice using him as a source. e.g I come to him with a leaf, and I state what I think it may be etc... and what does he think etc... based on our individual knowledge. In other words, I need to be self sufficient. What happens if I place all my troubleshooting eggs in one basket and he happens to move away. Back to square one. (more or less)

Latest posts

Latest posts