What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ALL ABOUT BONSAI MOMS/MUMS

Dreamscape

AWESOME !!! Its funny how things can fall into place sometimes in a way that seems beyond "coincidence" ... I just posted a thread a few days ago asking about info on Bonsai moms and then *BAM* I see this one ...

Thanks Guerilla and thanks to Oldtimer1 ...

:headbange

Last edited:
G

No Problem Stretch. If anyone has used this guide to make some bonsai moms of your own, Id love to hear about it and see some pics. Take care.

guerilla

Last edited:

Hissin Appi

First of all, a big thx to everyone who has contributed to this thread! I have been growing for some months now and my first crop is getting ready... about 30d to go I think. I'm growing POK Kush x Citral and Snow White (600w+400w HPS, pic)

So, my next plan is to start working on some motherplants. I have 2 Papaya cuttings and I'm going to plant the other as my first mom. (Must say the root-trimming tips were really helpful!) Second mom will be a cross called Bling Bling, breeded by a guy from the Finnish hemp-forum. It's Chronic x G13 bx IX1. (If this cross seems successful, I'm hoping to keep one mom for years.)

I have a few tips/points on taking the cuttings, that my "guru" friends have given me. I'm not sure if this concerns more of the hydro-growers than soil, since the cuttings are planted into rockwoll using this technique.
What I do after snipping the cutting from the motherplant:
Take a 10l/2-3gl bucket filled with water and place the cutting in the water so that the "rooting part" of the stem is under water. After this I cut the surface again with a razorblade (under water), just above the first cut, and then stick it in to a rockwool cube (still under water).
After this proceed as usual. (shoplight, bag for "greenhouse effect" etc.)

What I've been told, is that this technique prevents air bubbles from getting into the stems hollow "channel" (or what would be a proper word?)

Just my 2 cents. Thanks once more to Oldtimer and 1018, this thread really made my life easier! :wave:

G

Very glad to hear it helped. If you can Id love to see a pic of the mom/moms when you get em going. Best of luck with her :joint:

guerilla

G

i dont understand this thorougly. so you take a rooted clone, plant it into a very small square pot. you cut it up so there are only 3 or 4 branches coming off the side? and you keep doing this and it stays small and compact?

G

curtisd said:
i dont understand this thorougly. so you take a rooted clone, plant it into a very small square pot. you cut it up so there are only 3 or 4 branches coming off the side? and you keep doing this and it stays small and compact?

Id say that that is pretty much right on except the trimming the plants down to 3 or 4 branches part. As opposed to doing that, the idea is to top/train them so that they grow many growing tips and to keep the center open for maximum light penetration. And yes, if you keep pruning, taking your clones regularly and root trimming, then they will stay very small. hope this helps :joint:

guerilla

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache...ar+definition+bonsai&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

The Definition of MJ Bonsai Mums

This is a link to Siptar's bonsai mum thread. I found it on the google cache. However the link is broken I believe as it does not work for me. He had an excellent setup to show an even more micro bonsai mum. If anyone has it saved, please post or send it to me if at all possible. I believe a lot of micro growers could really use that thread. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
G

Actually I tried it and seen the OG cache come up so I thought it worked, but when I tried clicking on any of the links it did not. Oh well, we'll find in one of these days :)

guerilla

I hope so. It's the one that'd highlighted in there that would be the right forum. Someone said they had it on this forum and I PM them but haven't gotten a reply yet.

G

Hey durban, just keep at it and we'll find it sooner or later. Its gotta be in a cache or on someones hardrive, we just gotta figure out where :chin: anyways, thanks for doing the work to try and find it, and thanks for linking this thread in your sig.
best of luck

guerilla

G

Thanks T2U and james. James, if you get em going, let me know how they turn out. Best of luck.

guerilla

aeric

Veteran
That article was a great inspiration a few years back on OG...makes me feel all warm and fuzzy seeing it again. Since the day I read that I've been aspiring to OT1s greatness. IMO one of the true tests of a grower is keeping a bonsai mom for years and years and not losing it one way or another (virus, pest attacks, etc..). The whole thing about "genetic degradation" over time has to do more with selection than anything. As OT1 said it is best to choose the strongest cuttings to turn into moms, not some little bottom shoot that we were going to throw away. It is also possible that while in the process of forming (callous tissue) roots the plant is more vulnerable to genetic degradation via stress...

Thanks for the mammaries Guerilla.

Latest posts

Latest posts