What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

the protege

If anyone is planning on building one of these, I want to give it my TWO thumbs up! What a difference a scrubber makes. The plants were stinkin up the whole house, after the scrubber was installed, no smell what so ever. I made mine about 17" tall for a 8" scrubber..... if you can find someone to help you put it together, you can finish one of these in 90 minutes, easy.

Creeptic

just wanted to chime in with another vote of praise here

it was VERY simple to make, and made a world of difference

im growing 10 plants under a 400... and 7 of them are some stinky sour diesel ... and i cant smell them AT ALL until i open the closet door... works wonders... anyone who isnt handy and is worried about the ease of making these, dont... it is simple... made mine in about an hour... another 30 minutes to get it installed and thats it

cheap, simple, and effective... very much worth the peace of mind and added security

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
now if someone can come up with a diy res chiller mini or small. cos lord know i dont have an old water machine hanging around or old min fridge.. hehe.. I think this scrubber is awesome DP great work.. peace..

sack

A-Loc

mofuckin farmer smurf
howdy durban, i dunno man the way you explain that formula i can't comprehend it. maybe i'm too tired. but could ya help me out man i'm gonna be using a stanley blower which i guess is like 256 cfm. if the inner core is 4 inches with a 6 inch outer core how tall would she have to be, i've read over the forumla so many times and i can't get it. damn it lol well thanks for the help its an awesome thread, awesome moola saver

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
You guys don't forget also that humidity greatly decreases the life of carbon. Depending on how many plants you are venting, you can expect to replace the carbon every few months. From personal experience, it's best to have some carbon on standby because sometimes the filter stops removing smell at the worst possble time. This is the one i made which is a good 4ft long.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bump, cuz this is an awesome thread and these things work great!!
Built my third one recently for a 150hps cab.

G

built one of these last night, no smell at all from my 6 plants, works great

marx2k

Veteran
My issue here is although I have a 6" 449cfm Vortex, I have it dialed all the way down, so I have no idea how many cfm's I'm pushing and so I don't know how tall to make mine. I'm going to go for broke and build it @ 24"

Any suggestions?

G

I made an 8" scrubber w/6" core at 27" long for my 449cfm vortex, but I always run it at full speed. Wonder what would happen if I slow the fan down.....btw, 8" parts can be a pain to find at the local hardware store because it's not the most common 4" and 6" size.

One other thing to add. Building an 8" scrubber, even the largest panty hose will be HELL to get over the scrubber. I bought the big size, fit 6" core easy. Then I used the SEAT of the panty hose to wrap the 8" outer shell. Worked pretty good, and it's like a double layer already.

Good luck. :yes:

marx2k

Veteran
Stoned2Death said:
I made an 8" scrubber w/6" core at 27" long for my 449cfm vortex, but I always run it at full speed. Wonder what would happen if I slow the fan down.....btw, 8" parts can be a pain to find at the local hardware store because it's not the most common 4" and 6" size.

One other thing to add. Building an 8" scrubber, even the largest panty hose will be HELL to get over the scrubber. I bought the big size, fit 6" core easy. Then I used the SEAT of the panty hose to wrap the 8" outer shell. Worked pretty good, and it's like a double layer already.

Good luck. :yes:

Well I went to 2 hardware shops today. Had some luck but they were out of stock on 8" caps and 8" screw-clamps. Also, I wasn't sure what department I should be looking for the hardware cloth in, so I didn't know how to ask for it. I will try again on Friday. Aside from that, I did end up snagging a 6" end-cap, a 6" starter collar, a 8-6" reducer, 2 6" screw-clamps... so now I just need the 8" cap and the hardware cloth.. well, and pantyhose of course. I'll let my girlfriend go and buy those.

G

The hardware cloth is usually in the fencing department and the caps and such is in the ducting area. At least that's how it is in my local casa de depot.

G

Yup...in the fencing department...at lowes it's usually out in the garden area.

For the panty hose..No way I was buying those...I sent the old lady too. I could just see it "gimme the BIGGEST pair of panty hose you've got, lady!!" :nono: :laughing:

marx2k

Veteran
Yeah both stores... Home Depot as well as a local hardware franchise were out of the 8" tee caps. I guess people are doing some serious maintenance for the cold winters in these parts of the country. I wonder if I should order parts online or wait...

NOKUY

Veteran
i'm in the same boat. same fan (vortex 449 cfm) and lack of 8" duct parts at the 'depot.

s2d and I just had this talk.

my vortex isn't run at full blast tho....actually at half or a bit less....but I'm still gonna copy s2d's dimensions....should be fine since the scrubber in my case is gonna be in the room in front of the hood (wont have to worry about any "backdraft")

...just have to do the hardware store shuffle to get all the right pieces.

my cabinet scrubber was planned from this thread and works perfect (I exhaust into that one)

I'm takin' the big drive down the hill this weekend to see if I can round it all up.

NOKUY

Veteran
....ohhhh and BTW ...when I needed pantyhose for my cabinet scrubber.....I suked it up and purchased them myself.

Latest posts

Latest posts