What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

TheSource - That carbon is an excellent buy. I really couldn't say how much it will take. I can tell you that 10lbs. of carbon that I bought will allow me to replenish my filter 3-4 times over after the initial fill. I would guess that you wouldn't need that much, but I wouldn't know how to figure it out. I'm sure that there is some way to figure out volume with some fairly simple math equation. You might try googling it.

Ganico - I really couldn't help you replicate a manufacturer filter. This is a cheap DIY. I just made this thread because I know how to make this filter and it's relatively inexpensive. I haven't seen the particular thread that you're talking about either, however I can tell you that if you follow the formula that I posted, you will end up with an operational filter if you follow the instructions. Sorry man I really don't know what else I can do to help you.

aizen - If it's super activated carbon - you're golden - it will work fine. That link that TheSource posted above is a VERY good buy. You won't find any price like that in any retail store.

Peace all

Ganico

Veteran
DP- yeah, the 3.5" filter would probably work I think.

Does there need to be carbon all the way to the bottom and top including the caps, or just where the filter section that's exposed to air?

Ganico - Pack as much carbon in the filter as you can. But you want to put some batting on each end to help fill any potential unwanted gaps. But pack it liberally.

corwink - Man I haven't tried it myself, but I wouldn't suggest it. Carbon is probably one of the best things to use for any filter if done correctly because it obsorbs so much. Buy it in bulk online and you'll save a lot of money. It's not too expensive. There is a guy on ebay selling for $10 for 10lbs+shipping.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
On odor control cat litter is probably a 5 where carbon would be close to a 10 on a scale of 1-10. A good source for good cheap carbon is on ebay HERE

I have purchased from this person a few times.

marx2k

Veteran
From what I see of people's cooltube setups on this forum, they all seem to be PULLING air through this filter versus pushing air through it! Pushing air through this unit would be a better answer for me (horizontal cooltube, to vertical 6" vortex, up through the top of the cab, and pushing through a horizontal scrubber laying on TOP of my cab.

So, is pushing air through the srubber truly better than pulling air into it?? Because otherwise I would mount it at around the light level, horizontally, inside the cab.

Bones

I heard it was best to pull air through a filter - Not sure of the reason though!

Durban - Great Step by step guide man, definately gonna make one of these!!
Just two questions -

1. I have a RVK 150mm (6inch) duct fan, which is rated at 420m3, how do I convert this to cfm to work out my filter core length??

2.also how do I work out the diameter of the outer mesh/cap/reducer for best results??

edit: I have my fan connected to a speed controller, and usually run the fan at about 60%, will this change the formula keeping in mind that i will occassionally need to increase the speed of the fan to near full speed (for temp/humidity reasons).

Thanks a lot

Bones =)

Last edited:
Could this design be scaled down to work with computer fans on the caliber of 50 cfm? What core length, diameter, etc would I need? The formula makes no sense to me, could you point out the origin web site or explain what is going on here?

mpro

I doubt the difference would be noticeable...I could be wrong, but I'm sure if you make the design sound, it will not matter if you 'inhale' or 'exhale' through the carbon.

That all being said, I vote for exhale.

the protege

Between the mesh layers that are covered in pantyhose.

Two good ideas for you, if building one. The first is to masking tape the ends of the wire, before trying to pull the pantyhose overtop the mesh wire netting. THe second is to tape a piece of plastic wherever you have metal ends that stick up, this will allow the pantyhose to glide much much smoother, without snags. I just built an 8inch to 6inch carbon filter. Those two steps helped alot. Also, if you are building one this big, you need to make sure and get thigh high pantyhose in size Q. That is the largest they come.

Any more questions on the larger sizes and I will try to answer!

Latest posts

Latest posts