What's new

Wooden Pallets in combination with fencing for Outdoor Grow

Shadow122

I have 19 babies currently in Solo cups that I plan on transplanting into 1/2 gallon fabric pots next week and intimately to an outdoor stealth grow. The plot is approx 10X15 feet and I fenced it with four ft high turkey wire I installed last fall.

So I go out to visit my plot yesterday and I see that at least 1 deer has already jumped the fence. Since it is in the middle of brambles on three sides, I want to get two regular wooden pallets and place them in front of the fence on the "open" side. Note: I have many deer in the yard including a three legged one.

I heard that deer don't like walking on pallets and I'm hoping that this will prevent them from jumping the fence. Has anyone else used this approach? Does it sound reasonable??

Here are my babies that popped on April 5th and a pix of the fabric BTW, My beans are

Bomb THC Bomb Feminized

Barneys Liberty Haze Feminized

Barneys Pineapple Chunk Feminized

Barneys L.S.D Feminized

Akorn Aka Snowbud freebies

Seeds Sage & Sour freebies

All running under a 4x8 T5

Trying to figure out how to upload pix

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Pallets would work as a base to your fence but their height will not deter a deer from jumping over them. Ive used 4 foot fencing with success. What I've done in the past is put the fencing up with bamboo poles (use whatever is available in your area) that are about 8-10 feet tall . That leaves a few feet of pole sticking above the fencing once they are buried in the ground. After installing the fence to the poles I simply used some white string tied from pole to pole in two running strands. Lets say at five feet and then at six feet. Never had a deer jump over it and our area is infested with deer here. Not unusual to see 5-6 in my yard every day. I don't mind em too much though. They sure are tasty.

Shadow122

Capt, thx for the quick reply. Right, my intent was to place them at the base of the fence precluding them from walking on the pallets to jump.

So your idea is to extend the height of my four ft fence by incorporating the bamboo poles and using string/twine to create the visible barrier for the deer.

When i was younger we would take 50lbs test fishing line. the clear the better. then make a fence of that. one line 2 feet off the ground and another at 4 i think. you will have to figure it out for yourself... DEER WON'T JUMP OVER ANYTHING THEY ARENT SURE OF... fishing line is the best example i have found. anyways. thats what my grandparents taught me how to protect there vegetables from the many deer in the yard. it worked better than the barb wire, electric fence, or anything else really. And stealth is your grow... so fishing line is fairly stealthy if its not where people would be. just ideas.

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
Yes, Shadow. They see the string and interpret it as a barrier. I dont think laying pallets on the ground in front of a four foot fence would work for the deer we have here. It wouldn't hurt as a first line of defense but I would still want an effective fence around the plants.
If you are worried about people seeing the white string perhaps you could use mono fishing line as Primalraindrop suggests but Im sure my method works because the deer can actually see it.

Capt, thx for the quick reply. Right, my intent was to place them at the base of the fence precluding them from walking on the pallets to jump.

So your idea is to extend the height of my four ft fence by incorporating the bamboo poles and using string/twine to create the visible barrier for the deer.

Shadow122

Yes, Shadow. They see the string and interpret it as a barrier. I dont think laying pallets on the ground in front of a four foot fence would work for the deer we have here. It wouldn't hurt as a first line of defense but I would still want an effective fence around the plants.
If you are worried about people seeing the white string perhaps you could use mono fishing line as Primalraindrop suggests but Im sure my method works because the deer can actually see it.

I'm going to do just that, much thx, coincidence that I'm listing to Moby Dick the audiobook?, I think not!

Capt.Ahab

Veteran
I got off my ass and went and checked my veggie garden out in the back forty. I have a four foot fence with three strands of string above it. One strand at about 5 feet one at about 6 and another around 7-71/2 feet. Its been there for years and Ive never had a deer jump it.

Wendull C.

Veteran
Human hair in bags or dirty laundry on a post might keep em out. Depends on how used they are to people around.

grow nerd

Veteran
I read on a plastic deer netting manufacturer website (I can't find it right now) that netting installed at an angle is effective because deer can't judge the depth correctly. Low attachment towards "outside", high attachment on poles towards "inside".

Latest posts

Latest posts