What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing noob here... need help on ripeness, calyxes or pistil or trichromes?

cdoc

What is the best way to determine harvest time?

I have been growing some random seedbags,

which is a a hybrid with sativa pheno base on its appearance, and 2 months now and has swollen calyxes but, it still have some clear trichomes and white pistils.

While some of the grow still have tiny calyxes and is now running 2 months flowering

Do all cannabis swell when its ready to harvest or do only indica swell?

What is the best way to determine harvest time?

DJXX

Veteran
get a 30x magnifier and look at the trichs...at that point its a preference thing....if she is a sativa she probably need 75 days or more...in my experiences, the buds all swell in the end...the last two weeks is when most of them put on the weight....on the trichs..clear heads are more of an up high and amber heads are more stoney...the cloudy ones are in the middle...its really depends on your type of high preference..look around in here there are much better explanations on here..hope this helps...dj

cdoc

@djxx,

I have a 50x and yes, I have seen mostly cloudy and some clear...

So, does a swelling calyxes means its near harvest? what is the usual time from swelling calyx to harvest?

A

acridlab

Sounds like ur on the right track, trichomes don't lie..
All strains are different and unique in their growth formation..Some swell alot and pistils will all turn color before Amber trichs.. Some have mad amber with a fair amount of fresh pistol growth, etc.... I usually wait until the pistils start turning, and then I scope.. it's all preference after that.. but yeah,, u sound like u know what's going on.. just keep doing what it doing.. I can say that some bagseed plants do have crazy characteristics..and imo can be a pain in the ass compared to properly bred/chucked seed stock ..

cdoc

@acridlab

what im curious is that, there are cloudy trichome, but there are still new pistil growing at some part of the main cola,

also, do pure sativa have the swelling characteristic or only hybrids?

Im confuse about the cloudy trichome wherein do I have to harvest it when there are cloudy trichomes or wait till the swelling of calyxes or wait till the pistil turns orange ...

actually, most people say use trichomes are basis for harvest, but my grow have cloudy trichomes but still have some skinny tiny calyxes buds, while some have swelling calyxes.... I tried a few top cola and tried to vape it using magic flight, but I only get the head buzz, kind of like when your a bit drunk feeling, but the trippy is not there... and this is with the cloudy trichomes,

does the trippy feeling based on the strain or the trichomes?

A

acridlab

Cdock,, I've seen some strains keep putting out new growth up top til the end.. if all the other buds pistils are turning and you have mostly cloudy trich, it's getting close.. I would personally give it another two weeks..I like a 20 percent Amber count.. but everyone's different..when it comes to those skinny calyxs, that could be from a multitude of things,, strain, lighting, feeding, etc.. probably strain..hard to tell, but yeah, mostly landrace sativa will show those traits, imo. Post us a photo, if possible. That would make it alot easier for people to help. But guessing,,it sounds like u have a little while to go.. your 8 weeks in,thereabout, most hybrids need a good 10+ weeks.. oh, when it comes to the trip effect,, that's usually the strain, in my experience,, but it could also be a result of pulling with clear/cloudy trichs..
Lots of variables in ur situation, so take everything I'm suggesting with a grain of salt..
Peace n welcome to ic

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
When I grow sensimillia I wait until the false swell (the point where most all calyx swell as if they are laden with seed)

that is my baseline i will pull a little later with some strains for the amber if they smoke better that way

some lose alot of taste and smell later on while only gaining a small amount of differential in high while others do the converse

some long running sativas ( and consequently some hybrid progeny) dont even start to push out serious resin until they maturate so it behooves one to wait

Latest posts

Latest posts