What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Transplant to 3 gal now or wait?

I see some roots through my drainage holes on one plant.
picture.php

FlaDankster

Veteran
Wait.

What size pots are those they are in now and how long have they been in them?

Are you using chem ferts or is that an organic grow?

They look to be happy.....good work.

Sorry, they have been in the one gallon pots for 9 days

This is day 19 from sprout

I am using some chem ferts:Fox Farm Grow Big and the Cha Ching is non organic I think

FlaDankster

Veteran
I'd give them another 10 days to 2 weeks myself.

Are you using the Cha Ching now also along with the grow big?The beastie bloomz,cha ching and open sesame is potent stuff.....use it carefully.

I have a buddy that did a few plants with the CC and some calmag and they surprisingly turned out fairly well.

Not yet..no way. Right now I'm using Big Bloom, Grow Big and some jamaican bat guano I picked up. I've got a thread in the diary section, I may need some expertise

You can if you want, especially if your seeing a more than a few roots coming out of the bottom. I would personally wait about 1 or 2 weeks. Transplanting them now won't do them any harm(if done carefully), but it will make it more difficult to transplant without doing them any harm. The roots won't be developed enough in the medium and it might crumble and make it hard to not seriously disturb the roots.

The point of doing multiple transplants is let them fill out their container before potting up. The trick is to do it at the right time, not to early, not to late(root bound). This will come with knowing how the strain your growing performs.

I personally start seeds/clones in plugs, move up to 1 gal in for 2-3 weeks, and then right into their 3 or 5 gallon homes. I don't see the point of going from 3 to 5, I think would just slow the roots down. I'm always suprised with how quick i see roots at the bottom of my 5 gal containers after potting up from the 1 gal. I feel like if I kept them longer then a week in the 3 gal I would just be prohibiting the roots from growing as fast as they would, not to mention all that extra work.

I also usually have NO transplant shock, quite the opposite. Usually when I pot up the plants take off. I think this has to do with potting up at the right time. I think a lot of people wait to long to transplant because it makes it easier, the root mass and media come out in one nice easy to hanle peice. I think if your roots get to that point it's bad. This is why I think a lot of people experience 'shock'. I think the shock is just the fact they transplanted a big root ball into a bigger container. It takes the plant a while to figure out there is more room to grow into.

Transplanting is far from a must, or 'best' practice. It suites may growers in their style of grows(not enough room to have eveything in their final pots, such is the case in many indoor situations). It also depends on the medium, the size plants you want to grow, and many other factors.

Actually, I wait until they are as tall at the 1 gal container they are in, then transplant into final pot if I have the room. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest posts