What's new

Needle in the apical meristem instead of FIMing?

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I don't want to 'waist' a seedling right now and that's why I simply ask if someone already tried it.

I know that in other plants 'disturbances' like non-lethal injuries with a needle of the apical meristem often lead to abnormal reorganisation of it and seldom to perfect healing. Hence, multiple new apical meristems arise from within the tortured one and subsequently extensive branching results.
I was now wondering if a needle stabbed in the apical meristem of a cannabis plant would cause multiple branching too.
Judging by why FIM is called FIM I guess it might be easier to just stab it a bit than to surgically remove it... unless you want precisely 4 new branches.

Besides, could burning the tip out (maybe with a blazing needle or conical pin) replace the scalpel as this results in about the same funnel-shaped ending without all the tricky snipping?

Only Ornamental

Veteran
sounds pretty advanced for most of us. Seems logical.. but only one way to find out :)
Using needles only sounds like an advanced technique to most men :laughing: .
I have no spare plants, that's why I count either on someone else's experience or a fish on weed (thanks for trying BTW) ;) .

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I got a few I can play with while trying to replace my stolen moms......last batch too late this batch just popped.....

St3ve

Using needles only sounds like an advanced technique to most men :laughing: .
I have no spare plants, that's why I count either on someone else's experience or a fish on weed (thanks for trying BTW) ;) .

Its not using the needle my friend, its the application. Precision destruction.. and you are asking the same people who also called the tech "FIM" if that doesn't shed some light. LMAO

and anyway, I doubt you would kill or even hurt a plant by trying it

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Its not using the needle my friend, its the application. Precision destruction.. and you are asking the same people who also called the tech "FIM" if that doesn't shed some light. LMAO

and anyway, I doubt you would kill or even hurt a plant by trying it
The sewing thing was a joke :D . My point isn't 'precision destruction' like FIMing but more of a half-hearted Freddy Krueger approach inflicting wounds and sowing chaos but with hopefully the same result.
Also, with 'killing/hurting' I meant the apical meristem and not the whole plant.

Reevage

I'd just try it man. It's not going to grunt your plans. At most it will stunt the growth a little, but on the other hand if it works you have a steady way to create 4 new coals.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I'll try the day I happen to have spare plants. I'm certainly not going to try this on varieties I have no experience with ;) .
But you could do me a favour and sacrifice a plant of yours for me :D .

Only Ornamental

Veteran
I'm not talking about stress responses but 'wrong' healing after an injury ;) .
Did you try it and failed?

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
I'm pretty certain it won't work with cannabis.. Do you mean pinch the tip and then stab the meristem ?

Once up to size a bit i doubt it would hurt to try.. no way i'm voodooing my girls though :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
No, no pinching, just stabbing... exactly like a spastic with Parkinson's on crystal meth would treat a voodoo doll :) .

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
it's bad enough we practice a focused form of eugenics but to torture them too?

this is interesting enough to (cough cough) sacrifice one virgin beauty.

i have just FIM'd but when they recover growth i'll stab one for posterity.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Thanks Trichrider for your unscrupulousness! Maybe it helps thinking about acupuncture :D ?
I'm already impatiently looking forward for an update...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
this was a disaster.
I perforated the apical meristem with a needle.
three days later the wound was discovered by insects and engulfed.

removed the damaged tip. no pics, sorry. I was anxious to remove the infestation.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Dam, that was bad mojo...
Look at it the positive way, at least you have now a topped plant as usually :) .

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
...it was like a dinner bell.

the concept is intriguing tho' and i'll attempt it again when conditions permit.

Latest posts

Latest posts