What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curing For Sticky "Moist" buds - - I Hate Crispy weed!

G

Just curious if anyone knows any "secret" or special ways of curing other then the standard way.

I have found that weed can easily dry too much if left out too long, and the longer you cure in the jar, the dryer it gets.

I hate crispy-dry weed!

I have purchased commercial weed thats "sticky-wet" and still tastes "cured", smooth and tasty, not harsh at all. How do they do this?

There must be some special way..

I have had mold problems before, from putting moist buds into jars too soon, and not opening the top long enough/giving them enough time each day to dry out, plus ended up with a harsh product..

So, yeah.. anyone got ideas?

any help appreciated !

bILLy Boi

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I would love to hear some input on this, I was terrified of that my first harvest would mold, and I ended up overdrying my buds. Now I have crispy weed :badday:

I tried putting some bread into the container to get some moisture in there, it helped a little but not as much as I would've liked.

The last time I bought some bud it was great, but way too dry and burned way too fast. I stuck it in a little glass jar with some orange peels for a few hours. This made them nice and sticky, I was really happy with the results. It also made the weed reek of orange peels, which some may like, and some may not. I want to keep the original taste and smell to mine, so I'm not sure what to do.

G

i know of those methods! its funny... the orange peel one really works wonders for brick weed and cheap stuff..

but with fresh home-grown strains ... f-that! i dont wanna smell oranges unless its cali-o !

peace to you, and i know there are experts on this just waiting to drop they 2-cents :wink:

G

i put a slightly moist piece of paper towel, that weighs about 1 gram, under the cap of a 5 liter jar full...when it dries out, Ive added 1 gram of water weight to the entire jar full. the buds go from crispy, to soft. if they need a little more I just do a little more until it is to my liking.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
what if you put some real wet weed in with your crispy stuff. maybe itll draw the moisture out of the wet bud and de-crispify your homegrown

Guest423

Veteran
it's simple.....dry your buds as slow as possible in the dark....they say put your buds in the jars when the stem can snap but i put mine in the jars when the stem can bend a little then break....just make sure to open your jar for 20 minutes a day.

Guest423

Veteran
bongasaurus said:
what if you put some real wet weed in with your crispy stuff. maybe itll draw the moisture out of the wet bud and de-crispify your homegrown

that works too, my buddy always is over drying his buds so he takes a couple fan leaves off his living plants and puts it in his dried buds and it works nice.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
in the U.S least where i live the ciggerett shops sell a humidor tablet just a few drops of water in it and place with your fav cigar or nugs lol. most compressed weed except brick need saw to cut will fluf up alot sometime all the way. it add's only enough moisture to rehydrate, i'll place nugs in larger ziploc for few hrs to overnight. after thier moist again rejar and burp like normal.

emkman

buying "wet" sticky weed is just a ripoff, your paying for water. But if its your homegrown then enjoy your personal preference, however I would still recommend doing everything the traditional way as far as dry and cure goes. Then if its too dry for your taste, insert some lettuce with the nug. It will add the right amount of water, and unlike oranges, lettuce is inert and wont affect the flavor/smell. like u said, dont want orange unless its cali-o. Personally, I have come to like fully dry weed. as long as it has trichomes intact, it will still be plenty sticky!

Last edited:

ThaiPhoon

I agree with time2unite...a few fresh fan leaves put in a bag of dry buds will soften them to perfection!

Peace

1stimer

Billy I had asked this excat same question and did not really get a good answer except it comes down to gentics for the sticky icky cure, which I am not 100% convinced of.

I get all these dank strains at the so-cal co-ops and I have yet to find a strain that will stick to the bag. I do think it is how you cure it and will be doing some of my own curing tests to see if I can reproduce what I remember getting as a teenager and into my early 20s.

Emkman - just because the weed has some moisture in it does not mean wet. I used to get weed all the time that was moist but not wet, smoked really good, tasted really good, and stuck to both sides of a baggie just from being rolled up in the baggie. I hate it when I stick a bag in pocket and it breaks up the buds or they turn to shake.

mexicanmafia

Dank Galore!
some lettuce works fine for me as re-moistering....... wont affect the smell or taste of your buds....... those humidor things sound nice though! might chech out the cigar store for some of those!

peace!

mm

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I've been thinking about this, comparing my cures from outdoors in the 70's, to indoors in the places I have grown in this century. I think the air while drying is the key to how dry/sticky the buds are, I may be way off, but it seems to have a bearing on how they finish. If the air is moist, it seems they dry slower, and not quite to the dry level, that I get now, in a very dry air environ. I cut them and hang plants in paper yard waste bags to limit the air exposure, but still let moisture out, and I get a nice cure, but it is dry. I wonder if a drying closet with one of the cool mist humidifiers running part time would do the sticky trick, something to try perhaps.

I am gonna try a leaf in a jar today, I have two half gallon jars of hash plant that are perfect to try this with.
H

i personally like to put a fan leaf or two in and that makes it nice and moist but you dont have to worrie about to much water(possible mold problems) and your not changing the flavor or smell of your weed its amazing how fast the moisture is draw out about a day in the jar works you can tell cause the fan leaves get all shriveled anyways thats my 2 cents on it

peace out peeps Vagabond_Grower

therightcoast

obviously if you want the bud moist just dont dry it all the way, drying it and then curing and tampering with it couldnt bring too much good

sprout

i ended up over-drying my last harvest too. But i figured a cool trick to soften the buds up a little before the cure. I hang my buds upside down with clothespins on a hanger to make them easy to move around. I realized that if i hang them on the bathroom door whilst taking a hot shower, the resulting steam sort of rejuvinates them. Kinda goofy but it works. :joint:

Cannapits

I've learned getting the air out of the jars while they cure helps...My uncle used to pack buds in jars and use the same methods as canning...worked for him and works for me.Best of luck

I wonder if it would be beneficial to take your buds down from hanging a day or 2 earlier, and put them in jars without the cap on and leave them like that for a day or 2. Now the buds are closer together and somewhat redistributing its moisture but also finishing up drying...so its kind of like a pre-cure if you see what I mean...

Anyone experiment with this?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
TaprootErection said:
I wonder if it would be beneficial to take your buds down from hanging a day or 2 earlier, and put them in jars without the cap on and leave them like that for a day or 2. Now the buds are closer together and somewhat redistributing its moisture but also finishing up drying...so its kind of like a pre-cure if you see what I mean...

Anyone experiment with this?

Might be a mold problem waiting to happen. Wet buds in close proximity with open air source. I havent even harvested my first crop yet (hence why Im browsing this forum) but this seems like a recipe for mold.

CaptJamesTKirk

The careful grower dosen't have outside obligations and distractions - the rest of us have to improvise.

The paper grocery bag is a great way to slow the drying. but you can still go to far, too fast. - Here,, let the plant dry for a couple days, chop the buds from the center stalk - I layer paper then bud then paper then bud - but only 2 layes per bag. Tomorrow, I take out a new bag and go thru and rotate the buds. I like the stems to still kink. not snap - then jar. - the bud will need to be aired after a day or so.
(This method is also nice because you can set the bags next to the carbon filter - the bags contain the FUNK)

my best remoistening method is fresh pot or frozen trim pot (best) the frozen trim is semi limp and usually my bottom branches from flower - add 4 or 5 grams per oz, seal and redistribute daily - it's not like doing it right the first time though.

It gets better.

Bright point? - I ALWAYS learn more from my misteakes than my successes - especially with growing.

Latest posts

Latest posts