What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites AKA The Borg

High Jinks

Hello to everyone unfortunate enough to have dealt with Borg. I have just scrapped a grow due to the most insane infestation ever. I'm almost positive they were introduced with the FFOF, and for the most part, thats where they stayed. I was only 1 week into flower, and the soil was crawling with them. I thought it was fungus knat larvae until i scoped one with a microscope. That nasty mite made me feel like it was crawling all over me! Anyway, I'm in the process of cleaning everything, and I'd like to know how to sterilize my pots. Will soaking in bleach work, or is something more drastic necessary?

Also, what product is MADE to put into the grow medium/rez that totally works?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Does 'Monteray Insect Spray' work on um? just noticed they been hidin out in my room on some of the lower branches taren my shit up....

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
the only thing we have found that will kill em and their fukin youngin's (eggs) is floramite.

we have tried neem,safers soap,foggers,D.E., vasoline of the stem, raising humidity, predator mites, tobacco juice+hot pepper, and other i can't remember, and while some maybe slowed em down, nothing stopped em till...... floramite..

zappa66

Gratephul4THC said:
zappa66, one of the pco foggers cost me $6.95 and did a damn good job just be careful with how much you use.

what kind of PCO fogger did use? I have a "micro" grow, can you controle how much you use or is it one use?

subfloral

I have been battling with these ugly vile creatures for quite awhile now. I used to always try and switch up my attack to keep them from getting tolerant of any one spray. Unfortunately, because of financial limitations, I was down to only one product... Concern... it is a pyrethrin containing concentrate. Well, I just noticed after my last spray, that as soon as the spray dried up and i turned the lights back on... while many were dead, i saw plenty still crawling around. I had a few bucks, so I spent my last on some hydrophobic neem extract. Sprayed them, turned on the lights... and once again, many were dead, but I could still see big ones crawlin' around. It seems I have some super bugs on my hands. I am going to look into this floramite, but think I will order some predatory mites in the meantime and see if I can get that to work. Scrapping is not an option, and neither is giving up.

High Jinks

subfloral said:
Unfortunately, because of financial limitations, I was down to only one product... Concern... it is a pyrethrin containing concentrate...
I had a few bucks, so I spent my last on some hydrophobic neem extract...
I am going to look into this floramite....

If you spent your last bit on some neem, your going to flip when you see the ticket price of the florimite! Anybody know if diluted bleach will kill mites/eggs when sterilizing pots?

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
High Jinks said:
If you spent your last bit on some neem, your going to flip when you see the ticket price of the florimite! Anybody know if diluted bleach will kill mites/eggs when sterilizing pots?

I also wanted ta know if bleach would work on these lil bastards.... I got a fogger but changed my mind when I read the label, a lil too toxic for me, so I got safer insect soap and sprayed um down real good with it. Now my flower room is almost empty but before I filler up I want to make sure these suckers are dead, so I was finna spray the whole thing down with some bleach. also finna order ed's Zero Tolerance, hit the veg plants with it just incase them lil punks think they gon ride up on my veg chamber.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Just thought Id contribute a little, heres some pics, sorry bout the blurryness of the first one- thats a spider mite I hit with the soap, I think its dead... After all the clearning and insect spray I found this single bastard chillin all alone on a leaf. Ima order the zero-tolerance soon as I get some bread...
Mite-

Mite Damage-

Orestes

I'm six weeks into flowering and just noticed an infestation last friday. No damage really, because it's been kinda cold at night, but temps have been rising a bit (so-cal) and I think I bought this "bug assassin 0007" just in time. Smells like clove, has a nice list of natural ingredients. I'm applying every three days after my lights go out and there's no sign of stress or damage to the plants, from bugs or chemicals. the smell fades after a day or so, my babies overpower it.

I read an article in maximum yield (2003? they're all online...) about pine oil and its use as a natural insecticide/repellant to be used in fertilizer or with waterings. But I haven't seen much about it.
Anyone have any experience with pine oil?

blinx420

I got a mite infestation been using organizide for a month didnt kill them I put 100 triple threat predators hoping that'll help if not ill be getting some zero tolerance to see how that works the 1oz floramite seller on ebay stopped selling a week after I heard of it here just my luck.

Chili_berkster

Badass
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Y'all wanna really freak out? Look up (broad mite) or (cyclamen mite) I had them and lemme tell you, they are real bastards! Instead of inflicting the large dark green leafs, they attack the fresh new shoots and are so small you can barely see them. Needless to say if infected with these it's devistating. Be very very aware of them. I thought I had nute burn, pesticide burn, tmv, all kinds of things. Till I finally saw one move. They are so small and they hide from the bright light. Found hidden in the folds of a brand new emerging leaf. Symptoms kinda resemble crinkly spinach. Brown/bronze colored tips and a stall of growth and yields.
I'm surprised these havn't been mentioned. I believe my dumb ass introduced these by bringing indoor an outdoor cutting that was infected unbeknown to me. Mites suck!

THC123

Veteran
It's a shame that those natural predators don't work well indoors.

Does anybody know of any natural predators that actually DO something indoors?

In lmy greenhouse the work , but indoor they don't get in the the part of the plants just beneath the light(maybe too warm and ry)

i tried oruis and i tried predatory mites , i spent 100 euros and still i had to vacuum the plants every week.

God i hate spider mites.

rafe

spidermites

spidermites

due to the fact that I am disabled and money is a major part in my deciding on the cigarette and red pepper natural spray. I used it last year on seedling that were vegging outdoors and it worked great. I just didn't want to get the stuff on my buds. I actually haven't seen any in the buds yet but I'm sure they will if I don't kill them with nicotine. I'll give you a report and thanks to everyone who wrote me. Peace...

rafe

Mites

Mites

I just went and inspected my plants since I have my light on at night. I didn't find any mites anywhere except on the few leaves that were hiding from me when I sprayed. I sprayed the soil and the side of the planter that they are in. They are not welcome. I will admit my grow room is a mess and will be cleaned up when warmer weather permits. I'm sure a clean room makes it hard for those little shits to live. I will keep you updated on how long the spray lasts. Thanks again to all who wrote. Peace

durgamata

What do you all think about organic Diatmacious Earth, a Toothbrush, some Water and some Isopryl.

Mix those and make a paste/soup, and brush the bottoms of each leaf with a Toothbrush or painters brush dipped in the solution?

In my imagination, it would do a great job at removing the Eggs and Adults.

soxy

Get a magnifier and check the under side of your leaves every few days. If you spot one use Einstein Oil. Also spray the underside and topside with straight water once a week. They hate moisture.

Attachments

• EINSTEINOIL.jpg
    EINSTEINOIL.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 43