What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best glue? Plumbing clear poly-carbonate pipe into a pvc fitting..

troutman

Seed Whore
I have a 90 gallon bottom drilled aquarium that I was running with a 500 GPH pump hooked to my sump.

Trust me aquarium silicone holds.

If you have the time, go check out a saltwater aquarium store and check their tanks.

If it's good enough for them it's good enough for plants.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
I have a 90 gallon bottom drilled aquarium that I was running with a 500 GPH pump hooked to my sump.

Trust me aquarium silicone holds.

If you have the time, go check out a saltwater aquarium store and check their tanks.

If it's good enough for them it's good enough for plants.

what troutman says is correct..:tiphat:

Drop That Sound

They are out of stock there on the 2" 5 ft sections. I probably would If I could buy just one foot, with free or cheap shipping somewhere. Thew one place I found that does, the customers weren't too pleased with all the scratches on it.

I actually thought I did score a 3.5' peice of sch 40 in clear, till i looked it over good a few weeks ago and realised its acrylic. Was going to use it for a clear potato gun project. I probably will order PVC for that job, just to be safe..

More about solvent welding, I heard MEK is the main ingredient in the "good stuff". Suppose I could mix some poly c shavings and make a nice goop with it. Its also used in some PVC glues so they should work just fine too, but only some glues.

I've gone through 1000's of tubes of silicone in my workin' years, doing corian kitchen counters and full walk in showers, we glue everything with it. Sometimes using hot glue to hold temporarily while it cures.

I trust it for this job, the 100% non toxic kind that is..

I was worried it would be too thick to get all the way around the pipe going into the fitting, but should be fine.

I ordered red silicone #331 o-rings for my DIY 2" bulkheads as well, so everything on my new systems will be sealed up with it.

Could have used Buna-n, neoprene, epdm, etc, but chose silicone this time around.

Check this out , guy makes his own silicone o-rings\tubing by injecting into 1/8 ID vynil tubing. When it cures he shoots the tube out with an air nozzle, and cuts and glues it together as a ring, to size!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-silicone-O-rings-and-tubing/

I haven't cut up anything yet. Had to order a specific tote that went out of stock locally, for my pump\filters house, which matches the rest of the system. I'm being real picky like that. Barely have room for a "pump house" with mostly clear plumbing inside, but making it work!

Drop That Sound

Almost forgot.. HomeDe POT has up to 1-1/4" clear sch 40 PVC in 5 ft sections, and some fittings too, free shipping to the store. They had 1-1/2" but it went out of stock and now isn't even an option..

Latest posts

Latest posts