What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Crap, random property owner visit coming

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Hey all, I'm stressing out pretty hard here so bear with me. I have a rental house in the country, with a detached shop. I grow in the shop and break down every year for an annual property inspection by the property manager.

I got an email Monday morning from the manager, that the owners want to visit the property this weekend from 8-noon and enter the shop.

My brain races and I hit the panic button. We broke it all down and hid and cleaned everything. Now the shop has a car in it and a bunch of my random junk.

Now, last year the property manager had the house painted, but not the shop. He asked me how the shop was during our last annual inspection, and I mentioned that the roof has a couple small leaks but it's otherwise fine.

I have no idea why the owner wants to go in the shop.

If they saw or heard something suspicious, would they give me 6 days notice?

If they wanted to fix the roof, wouldn't the property manager be involved? Or is the 8-noon range more likely a roofing contractor? Why a weekend day though?

My wife wonders if they want to take the building back from us and use it themselves? Sounds weird to me.

If they wanted to sell the property, I figured they'd want to see the whole property, not just the shop.

I'm anxious as fuck and totally losing my chill. I told the manager that of course they could come out that day, and he just replied "thanks Lazyman."

I'll be there to greet them, pretend I have the flu and ask what I can do for him. I'm just tripping hard over why the hell he's coming in the first place out of the blue.

Something similar did happen about 6 years back. Similar email from the manager, owners wanted to visit to access their shed at the back of the property. That went smoothly, as the she'd isn't mine to use or touch. But the she'd has their crap in it, the shop definitely has nothing of theirs in it.

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks all!

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't trip, you broke down the operation, that's why you can relax now.
That was the whole point of breaking down...
Who cares why they want to come visit, maybe they wan to check on substance and condition, see how much it'll cost them to repair the roof.
They certainly won't find a grow, so relax.
You'll find out what they want in time...

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Thanks Palumbia, i appreciate the feedback. I'm doing my best. I originally started smoking for my anxiety, but lately it feels like growing mj is the source of 90% of my anxiety.

Lifebreather

Veteran
I have to deal with at least yearly entrances into my dwelling from owner/rental agency.

I break down each room and stage it to make it look like it's being used. I stuff the plants into a uhaul and park it in a friend's driveway.

There's really nothing I can do otherwise, if they have any suspicions, they can lay them on me--of which I'll deny vehemently.

Stress will only work against you, and even possibly make you jumpy when they show up.

Just take it as it comes and you'll be fine.

St. Phatty

Hey all, I'm stressing out pretty hard here so bear with me. I have a rental house in the country, with a detached shop. I grow in the shop and break down every year for an annual property inspection by the property manager.

I got an email Monday morning from the manager, that the owners want to visit the property this weekend from 8-noon and enter the shop.

Once I had to do that for a real estate appraisal, in a property I own.

It was kind of stressful for the plants.

Does the shop have its own electric meter ? That would be unusual.

>> "annual property inspection by the property manager."

ANNUAL - it does sound like they're looking for something. Besides termites.

If I owned a rental property, I would want to make sure it wasn't being meth-ized somehow. It sounds like it's that kind of check-up, they just want to make sure their tenant is keeping it copacetic.

Which you are !

The one thing I would do, maybe, is add some tools that consume a LOT of electricity. e.g. a Mig welder (I say Mig because that's what a welder friend uses.) Something to explain the electricity use, in case that is on their mind.

Being in a sealed space can be hard on the plants. I would visit them and take steps to improve their ventilation. Maybe add a bucket of CO2.

My CO2 bucket recipe -
5 gallon bucket
2 gallons warm water
4 or 5 pounds sugar
3 or 4 heaping tablespoons active dry yeast.
1 teaspoon champagne yeast (can handle a higher alcohol content. The fermentation produces CO2 and alcohol.)

Your plants get the CO2. The alcohol stays in the sugar water.

It bubbles like a MF for about 4 days.

There is one give-away, it smells like fermentation. I make the suggestion thinking that your plants are somewhere, hidden enough, so that the fermentation smell does not arouse neighbor interest.

The situation you're in is sort of like the Queen visiting. I understand the stress. I also had to break down a grow once so a landlord could deal with a dripping water problem. That definitely gets the adrenaline going.

Stress can really do a job on a person. Your body is in fight-or-flight mode but there's nobody to fight.

The effect is, it depletes you. I would eat & drink like a professional triathlete until the landlord visit is over. Vitamins, extra water, extra fluids, extra fruits & vegetables, 2 or more sources of protein with every meal.

You may not be running a marathon this weekend, but your body thinks you are.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah the property manager does an annual inspection of the whole property every fall, but this is just the owner, and just visiting the shop. It's odd for sure. The shop doesn't have it's own meter, but I may all the utilities so they don't know what my bill is.

Lifebreather

Veteran
Yeah the property manager does an annual inspection of the whole property every fall, but this is just the owner, and just visiting the shop. It's odd for sure. The shop doesn't have it's own meter, but I may all the utilities so they don't know what my bill is.

Last time the owner came to my rental, he had to go over a bunch of maintenance and "upgrades" he installed with a bank employee, as he was looking to get an equity loan.

I listened to that fink lie for 45 minutes to that bank employee...it was hilarious...said everything he did was permitted and certified...none of it was...

troutman

Seed Whore
If they saw or heard something suspicious, would they give me 6 days notice?

:comfort:

I can guarantee you that if anyone saw anything you wouldn't have a notice warning of an inspection.

It wouldn't be the property owner inspecting either and you would be in trouble now.

So take a deep breathe and all will be well. If you've been inspected before you know the drill.
Just ask him stupid questions and he'll want to leave before you know it.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Thank you Troutman, I was thinking the same, just makes me feel better to know I'm not missing something. Yeah have had 12 inspections, including a couple where they told me they suspected me and they found nothing.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It would have been 24hrs if they suspected.

Likely you raising the issue of leaks attracted the owners attention. Perhaps the property manager called for a new roof and they are questioning it.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chill, and it looks like a car/junk shed- that's a good thing! If they are going to repair the roof, try to get it done quickly, then resume projects. It's a bear....had to hide numerous plants once in the back yard with large wardrobe boxes. Plants recovered and it was life as usual.

Good luck with the inspection.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
If you're in NorCal who really gives a shit? So you grow in the shop, you pay rent right? Why would they care? I mean if it's got holes cut everywhere and mold growing that's one thing but otherwise I don't get it. Is there more to the story?

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I am in a legal state, but cultivation is forbidden in my lease. I just time my final crop to chop a week or two before inspection month, then break down and clean, and wait. Property manager hasn't even looked in that shop for 2 or 3 years, so either he knows and wants to keep me as a tenant (I've never had 1 late payment in 10.5 years) or he just doesn't care.

Fortunately there is a second home on the other end of the large property that is condemned, so without doing a messy subdivision I think they'd have a hard time selling the place out from under me. The owners are reknowned cheapskates, but they own a number of large rural properties in my county, so they are pretty wealthy on paper, but I think they're relatively cash poor.

The relative who has some animals on he surrounding farmland tells me that I'm the best tenant they've ever had, and I take better care of the place than the owners ever did.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A legal state? Oh man you're in a legal state?
You'll be ok, what are you really worried about? You have broken down AND YOU ARE IN A LEGAL STATE ;-)
What's the worst that can happen? Being told off ?
Is that like having a cat in a "no pets" property ?:)
They are not going to evict you over a suspicion after 10 years are they?
I had a visit form the landlord once who wanted to check on the water boiler's reservoir/tank and he was standing 1m/3ft away from my running grow! It's the small tent in the grow in my sig, it is covered it with some linens so it looks like a piece of furniture protected form the dust and it's whisper quiet, but I can tell you that was a bit intense as I'm not in a legal state, let alone country.

Well good luck anyways and all the best !
CC

Easy7

Veteran
If a landlord suspected a grow it would be

They give keys to the cops
Cops raid the place
Eviction exactly when swat shoots the dog, rips the grow, and locks you up

There would likely be zero curtesy or notice

soil margin

Veteran
If a landlord suspected a grow it would be

They give keys to the cops
Cops raid the place
Eviction exactly when swat shoots the dog, rips the grow, and locks you up

There would likely be zero curtesy or notice

Yeah I was thinking along these lines. I wouldn't be paranoid in your situation unless you've given someone an obvious reason for suspicion.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
You broke down, nothing to see, nothing to stress. I bet he just wants to see if the roof got worse. It's spring, time to do some maintenance I would assume.

Relax and fake that flu! Lol