What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Grandevo microbial-based insecticide

sprinkl

Veteran
What? Yah I'm sure the bacteria cares where the plant gets its nutrients from... let's not turn this into a debate on how much better growing organically is than everything else. Why is it that so many organic growers have a holier-than-tho attitude?

I did not mean to turn this into a debate I just wonder if using living things in a non-organic environment is as effective? Too high salt concentrations inhibit bacteria and fungi growth, that's a fact...

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
I did not mean to turn this into a debate I just wonder if using living things in a non-organic environment is as effective? Too high salt concentrations inhibit bacteria and fungi growth, that's a fact...
It also inhibits plant growth!
:laughing:

SoilWatch

I believe GRANDEVO is a different strain: Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1, than what was used in the IR-4 report: strain NRRL B-30655. According to a couple of Organic commercial Ag guys I have talked to, they are chalk and cheese. I use it in rotation with PFR-97 (since it came out in 2013) and love it. Along with my usual rotation of A.swirskii with A.californicus and/or A.cucumeris a couple times in late veg, I am pest free.

Avenger

Veteran
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.322.1257&rep=rep1&type=pdf
The type strain is PRAA4-1T (=NRRL B-30655T=DSM
17043T), isolated from soil in the Catoctin Mountain region
of Maryland, USA, from under a stand of hemlock trees
(Tsuga canadensis).

The different numbers are just from different collection centers catalog systems.
NRRL
DSM

http://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/decision_PC-016329_27-Sep-11.pdf
attachment.php

Attachments

• Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1.jpg
    Chromobacterium subtsugae strain PRAA4-1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 19

SoilWatch

Thank you!
Good reading on the Micronutrients also. Fortunately, have not had that problem for a very long time. Knock on wood; now it will come back and kick me in the ass... :)

SoilWatch

Grandevo and PFR 97 dilution rates

Grandevo and PFR 97 dilution rates

I asked the same question. Got this response back from Everwood Farm:

Most all labeling for commercial Ag products are in acres, and 1 acre = 43,560 sq.ft. (rounded down to 43500)

For a label example where you use a product at a preventative rate of 2 lbs. (32 oz.), or curative rate at 3 lbs. (48 oz.) per acre, diluted in 100 gallons:
= 32 ounces covering 43500 sq.ft. in 100 gal.
Move the decimal place one place to the left:
= 3.2 ounces covering 4350 sq.ft. in 10 gal.
or 0.32 ounces covers 435 sq.ft. in 1 gal.

For a 3 lb dilution ratio:
= 48 oz. covering 43500 in 100 gallons, or
or 0.48 oz. covering 435 sq.ft. in 1 gallon

Now you need to calculate the "canopy" that you need to cover. As a rule of thumb, canopy is simply calculated as an aerial view in sq.ft., but you will get a closer calculation by doing a cone or cylinder volume formula. If your plants are in heavy veg, use the cylinder equation: V= 3.14 *R^2 *h, otherwise use the cone equation: V= 0.2618 *D^2 *h or an estimate between the two...
For field work, I round off to (one quarter of (the diameter squared times the height))
So if you have a plant that is 4’ wide at the base and 5’ tall you have ((4 x 4) x 5)/4 = (16 x 5)/4 = 80/4 = 20 sq.ft./plant
So if you going to cover 435 sq.ft. with 1 gallon, divide 435 by 20 and you get 21 or 22 plants this size covered with 1 gallon.

Storing these products:
When you open the PFR-97 or GRANDEVO, immediately repackage into smaller units for storage. Vacuum food storage bags are ideal, but zip locks are better than nothing. The size will be dependent on the amount you will use in a week or ten days…
PFR-97 must be refrigerated at 35-40^F. so after repacking, place the small bags in a large Zip Lock bag with a small handful of white rice or soda crackers (to absorb moisture) and store in a cardboard or Styrofoam box in the fridge.

Hope this is helpful,
Dave

One other thing I found with Grandevo is the length of the light cycle: apparently it dissipates with photosynthesis so when I am running a 24 hour cycle, I apply every 4 days, and every 7-8 days in 12 hour.

Bongstar420

Medical significance

C. violaceum rarely infects humans, but when it does it causes skin lesions, sepsis, and liver abscesses that may be fatal.[7] The first reported case of chromobacterium violaceum infection in humans in literature is from Malaysia in 1927.[1] Only 150 cases have been reported in literature since then.[8] To date, cases have been reported from Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Cuba, India,Japan, Nigeria, Singapore,Sri Lanka, Taiwan, United States and Vietnam. The commonest mode of entry of the bacteria into the body is through the injured skin coming in contact with soil or water containing the bacteria.[9][1] The disease usually starts as a limited infection of the skin at the point of entry of the bacteria, which progresses to necrotizing metastatic lesions, then multiple abscesses of the liver, lung, spleen, skin, lymph nodes or brain, leading to severe septicaemia, culminating in multiorgan failure which may be fatal.[10] Other reported pathologies include chronic granulomatosis, osteomyelitis, cellulitis, diarrhoea, septic spondylitis, conjunctivitis, periorbital and ocular infection.[1][11][12][13][14]Care must be taken because Burkholderia pseudomallei is commonly misidentified as C. violaceum by many common identification methods.[15][16] The two are readily distinguished because B. pseudomallei produces large wrinkled colonies, whereas C. violaceum produces a distinctive violet pigment.

I don't know why this pesticide and others are marketed for Strawberry growers....is this in California or something because here in Oregon, mite are almost never a real problem as N. fallacis does the job almost all of the time....that is according to my boss who was an IPM adviser for 30 years in the Willamette valley. We watched numerous fields and did not spray any of them. I would count 1000 per leaf on occasion only to watch N. fallacis decimate those numbers the following month. I used N. fallacis from such Strawberry fields to successfully control mite on Crocromisia x crossifolia, an invasive plant which only gets ugly from mite but is straight up a magnet for them. I doubt a Cannabis field will ever see sole predator mite control.

Now hops, well the mite are like borg on those. Sprays are unavoidable even with high N. fallacis populations.....I suspect inter planting pollen donors significantly increases N. fallacis efficacy in hops though as the only field I saw with flowering buckwheat got through with one early season spray- wish I coulda seen the following year though. That grower wanted to hire me to their hops research plot. I declined because I don't own the ground and that would never be offered to me. I figure, the owner can do the job fine if they deserve their land. Owners that deserve their lot in life don't need anything but labor and access to research data bases.

Last edited:

TheOutlawTree

A friend of myne was telling me about grandevo the other day, he said it really works, even on broads / russets.

I'm going to include grandevo in my IPM this season.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Do you know haw far into flower you can spray granddevo

4-hour REI
Minimal personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements

Can be used up to the day of harvest without concern for residues …

0-day PHI
MRL tolerance exemption

Still. I personally don't like to spray anything after week 3 on 10 week cultivars.

dricks7321

What? Yah I'm sure the bacteria cares where the plant gets its nutrients from... let's not turn this into a debate on how much better growing organically is than everything else. Why is it that so many organic growers have a holier-than-tho attitude?

Higher Brix does = less susceptibility to such issues. 50+ strains I work with, some have higher brix than others. Less brix are more likely to be affected by mites etc in my experience and from the information I received from a scientific studies that were performed in the Netherlands.