What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yeoman: 2011 Outdoor

mapinguari

Veteran
Lookin' real good, Yo.

Hey, how'd you anchor your hortinova? It kinda looks like it's just floating between the ends, is that it? I'm trying it for the first time, and I ran a frame of baling twine around the whole hoophouse, then wove the netting to it.

Maybe that was overkill, yours looks pretty good there.

I hope nothing too extreme comes your way with this storm, hopefully it'll just be a nice watering from the sky.

Yeoman

Mapinguari - I connected the horti-trellis with binding wire actually. I was thinking about going with 18" zip ties for this first layer, but decided for the binding wire after all. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the support PVC and pushed the wire through it and bent it to the side, then attached the other end to the horti-trellis. I didnt choose the zip-ties because of their urge to ride up the support. Im sure with a piece of duct tape the zip-ties could have been held down. 18" zip-ties are much more expensive than binding wire. The binding wire I speak of is found in the cement section of either of the major home improvement stores.

The top layer of trellising will be held on by zip-ties.. But I have another 2-3 feet of growing for those to go up.

Thanks.. I hope that the storm doesnt mess with me too much either.. Trust me when I tell you that Ive been constantly dealing with wind, wet and snow since early March on this project. I could use a break. But.. What does not kill me only makes me stronger!

Regards,

mapinguari

Veteran
Mapinguari - I connected the horti-trellis with binding wire actually. I was thinking about going with 18" zip ties for this first layer, but decided for the binding wire after all. I drilled a 5/16" hole in the support PVC and pushed the wire through it and bent it to the side, then attached the other end to the horti-trellis. I didnt choose the zip-ties because of their urge to ride up the support. Im sure with a piece of duct tape the zip-ties could have been held down. 18" zip-ties are much more expensive than binding wire. The binding wire I speak of is found in the cement section of either of the major home improvement stores.

The top layer of trellising will be held on by zip-ties.. But I have another 2-3 feet of growing for those to go up.

Thanks for explaining that, it's quite invisible in the photos. So far I haven't had too much problem with the baling twine riding up the frame, but if it does the duct tape idea will come in handy.

Thanks.. I hope that the storm doesnt mess with me too much either.. Trust me when I tell you that Ive been constantly dealing with wind, wet and snow since early March on this project. I could use a break. But.. What does not kill me only makes me stronger!

Yeah, I believe you. Part of my interest in your grow is that you're nearby. I wonder about your altitude; we're at about 3500'.

Dude, an OG of mine hasn't reached the first trellis yet, and started to lean real hard with this afternoon's winds, had to tie it up. The ladies have added a lotta bulk since the last storms stopped about three weeks ago, more for the wind to push on.

I look forward to watching and learning here.

Dudesome

Veteran
Yeoman I see years and years of experience trough your project man! It seems like you have thought of every little thing. I am delighted to be learning from you!

McDank8O5

inspirational bro, truly. looking forward to more pictures from your tree spot as the season progresses. If it gets legal in '12 I suggest hooking up with Corona for ads! happy growing!

vorzh

Those air tunnel trellis things look hella interesting to me. I'm just going with 2 layers of remesh in CoG style... might have to switch up to your method next year though

Bud Sweat

awesome thread Yeoman. Sorry if you already mentioned it, but are you topdressing with anything? Keep up the great work and love the pics of your spot there

Love the work Yeoman. Found you through Ganja D and stoked on your thread.

Got a question about early flowering down here on the coast. The morning and evening fog has induced a pair of our females into flowering. Its now been 4 weeks of flowering and the good weather has finally arrived. Is there anyway to revert these girls into veg or just power through and finish them early?

Many thanks for your knowledge.

Dudesome

Veteran
wow 25ft! what a sucky turnout. so sad that a fog can do such a thing to your ladies. hopefully they will have some time to get revegged untill put into blooming again! gl

Yeoman

July 1st Update

July 1st Update

Got a question about early flowering down here on the coast. The morning and evening fog has induced a pair of our females into flowering. Its now been 4 weeks of flowering and the good weather has finally arrived. Is there anyway to revert these girls into veg or just power through and finish them early?

25ftGreatWhite - Without knowing many more specifics, I cant really offer much assistance except to say that the plants either may or may not convert to a vegetative state on their own. There are of course ways to ensure the re-convert happens. Sup light is an option. If I had 2 of my ladies in flower for 4 weeks at this point, Id just let them go. But thats just me.

Regards,

Yeoman

Update #2 for June 27th

Update #2 for June 27th

Greetings everyone..

Well, the rainstorms went by without more than a couple broken branches. Both branches were broke because of my error. Apparently about 50 gallons of rain water was trapped on top of the light deprive tarp. So.. as the story goes, we pulled the tarp and the water fell, rather abruptly at that, on top of the poor little light deprives.. haha. Well, as bad as it was, it was pretty funny after it happened. I should have seen it coming, but they call it dope for a reason.

All in all everything is going well. The big girls are growing inches a day and are a deep green with a blue hue.

Here are some pics...

picture.php

A wet Green Crack during the rain storms on June 28th

picture.php

A wet Green Crack during the rain storms on June 28th

picture.php

Garden on June 28th

picture.php

Garden on June 28th

picture.php

Mr Nice on June 28th

picture.php

Twilight on June 28th

picture.php

Twilight on June 28th

picture.php

View from the "bedroom"

picture.php

White Rhino in light deprive on June 27th

picture.php

Same White Rhino zoomed out. Very reddinsh stems.

picture.php

Green Crack in Light Deprive overhead

picture.php

Leaf of a jack FLash in the sun

picture.php

and finally.. A Jack FLash leaf

Keep it green.

Regards,

Yeoman everything looks great. If I may inquire what schedule and diameter PVC are you using for your tarp frames? It looks like 1" schedule 40 but I would like your confirmation please. :tiphat:
PPp

Yeoman

Yeoman everything looks great. If I may inquire what schedule and diameter PVC are you using for your tarp frames? It looks like 1" schedule 40 but I would like your confirmation please. :tiphat:
PPp

I used 3/4" schedule 40. I should have used 1". I will use 1" next season. Too much flex in the 3/4" IMO.

Regards,

Yeoman

July 5th Update

July 5th Update

Greetings,

Hope everyone had a groovy 4th of July. Yet another holiday to tip our big floppy gardener hats to the volunteer force that made us free, and continues to do so..

Everything here at the Scorpion Hill site goes well. I have been
continuously "training" the ladies in the 6' pots by tucking them back under the trellis in order to open them up some more as well maintain a nice ball shape. So there is no major skyward growth since the last update.

The light deprives' are all covered with tiny buds. It's been 17 days since I flipped them. The Sour Diesels stink already, and the Green Cracks just about slap me whenever I walk by. I have obviously stopped the foliars on the light deprives, but continue to use the same foliar mediums as a root drench. Again I give props to the solar attic fan that I raved about in earlier posts. I look at the heat/humidity meter I have in the light deprive and I usually see: Outdoor Temp (ie light deprive) - 89 degrees; Indoor Temp (ie Green military tent) - 101 degrees. It was real easy to install.

picture.php

Jilly Bean - Light Deprive - July 4th

picture.php

White Rhino light deprive - 4th of July

picture.php

Green Crack light deprive - 4th of July

picture.php

Sour Diesel light deprive - 4th of July

The "teens" and "clone starts" are doing well. The "teens" have
tripled in size/bulk since the last update; the NL#5 "starts" are
coming along slowly buy surely. Thankfully they are a 45 day flowering strain.

picture.php

"Teens" - 4th of July

Haven't seen that many aircraft. Relatively peaceful here on Scorpion Hill.

picture.php

View from the tree on July 5th..

Regards,

mapinguari

Veteran
Thanks for the updates, Yeo. Your plants have an enviable consistency and good size already, congrats.

I don't get what you've got the smaller plants for at this point, can you explain?

Also, you never said your elevation, was that a purposeful omission?

Yeoman

Thanks for the updates, Yeo. Your plants have an enviable consistency and good size already, congrats.

I don't get what you've got the smaller plants for at this point, can you explain?

Also, you never said your elevation, was that a purposeful omission?

Hiyas mapinguari - Well I had no intention of running more than the 30 biggins' and the 30 light deprive, though I had 10 times the rec's required and a little more room at this site. As the garden was setup and the plants were plugged-in, I ran into a buddy of mine who had his genetics available (which is unheard of). I do collect vetted genetics from vetted growers, so.. The teens are some strains that Ive wanted for a while. The Caterac Kush is amazing. Definately, beyond a doubt, my favorite kush in the world, and boasts the highest THC content of the true kush family (the indoor version); There is also Kandy Kush, Blue Dream (Mendo cut) and these Platinum White Rhinos (F1) which are SUPER vigorous. I just couldnt say no. I have since cloned them and put them into my mother room (offsite). As for the Northern Lights #5 starts: Straight up Impulse. I was going to create another on-site light deprive just for them since they were a 45 day flip, but when I got them they were much smaller than advertised, so they will go to veg and flower normally in 10 gallon smart pots. Waste not want not, right? hehe. Still should be done in early September. If they finished anywhere near or past mid-September I would have passed them on since the strains in my gardens are carefully staggered to make the cultivation a smooth flowing event; ie dont want everything finishing at the same time.

My elevation is just about that of the Kush Mountains (where these yummy plants originated from); 3400 ft. Micro-climate of 7 bordering a 1A zone about 2 miles as the crow flys. My property is south facing on the western side of the Cascades, which are the foothills of the Sierra range.

I hope this answered your questions.

Regards,

mapinguari

Veteran
Thanks, Yeo.

Holy cow, 3400 feet!?! I'ma go outside and yell, you tell me if you hear me.

[five minute pause]

Didja hear that? We're neighbors.

Yeoman, my understanding is that you and I are right near where the Cascades, which stretch into Oregon and Washington, meet the Sierra Nevada, which of course are our Cali mountains.

So we're right at the seam, for better or worse.

I'm stoked for you on getting some great genetics, my connections are still limited to the local 215 nursery and online seed auctions. (I'm growing a couple Tom Hill DC/Haze f2s to see what happens.)

My garden is also on a southerly slope on the western side of the Cascades / Sierras at about 3400 feet. Had to leave a lot of trees because the property's not mine, but it could be worse! It's also my family's vegetable garden, and we're *only* doing 14 plants in there, ten different kinds or so.

My project is to buy nothing.

I did buy a few amendments, but no soil. It's all forest duff, humus, composted horse manure and chicken manure from on site. No store-bought nutes, all compost teas and fermented plant extracts. Homemade (ghetto-y) smart pots, hoop house and some pine pole teepees, hortinova.

I should just get over it already and start a thread.

It's a humble garden but I already consider it a success within the parameters above, the plants are way healthier than the garden here I helped with last year.

Yeoman, this is the month our plants are really going to take off dude.

Best to you in this heat, and thanks again for answering my questions.