What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Little Grow On The Prairies - 2011 - Early Canadian Strains

fiddleback

Hello one and all!

I've been lurking around for a while now on here, and thought it was high time to to toss up a shingle of my own. :joint: So spark up and sit down!

This year, I'm planning a MASSIVE OUTDOOR GROW... heh heh! Yes, I am one of the many inspired by the sage Julian. Still reading thru that thread of his.. on page 52 or so right now. What a read! I'm not saying that this grow is going to be anything near J's definition of "massive", but my goal is 1000 plants out by the end of July (As many mid-sized plants as possible, and then the rest of em minis). I'm going to try to keep this thread updated as things progress. Since it's my first growing season outdoors, with very limited indoor experience to boot, I would seriously appreciate ANY and ALL thoughts or advice regarding how I am doing things. If you see something that looks weird in a pic, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

I'm quite north of 49... say 53 ish latitude, so I'm going with Canadian early genetics. Around here frost hits mid/late September pretty regularly..so this will be a real trial year to see if/how these strains will finish. First up I've got NL#5, NLxBB, and Texada TimewarpxBB, all from Peak Seeds. I bought the seeds for indoor, but I'm going to give em a shot out there. Heard the NL finishes fast, and the TTxBB is pretty frost resistant. I've got these ones vegging right now (9 pretty healthy females), looking good so far, and soon I'll be flowering some cuts of these indoors. These Peak strains are more of a test, to see if they will even make it.

Next I've got Early Sativa and Fast Manitoba, both from Great White North Seed Co. Sprouted them a week ago. All 20 germed but the mysterious curse of damping off claimed a few of those ones.

Last but not least, I picked up 80 or so Kootenay Mtn. beans. 50 of their Early Grizzly, 30 White Grizzly, and I germed 60 of em this past week. All sprouted promptly, but again, damn those damping off demons! They thinned out my 60 to 40 some. I've really got to get myself some kind of system for failsafe germination. (current system is: paper towel soaked in tap water w/ a touch of ho2..once sprouted moved into LC's Soiless Mix#1 on heat mat. temps around 24 C (74?))

Anyways, I picked up the GWN and Kootenay Mtn. from Hemp Depot. Great seedbank! I've searched around but haven't been able to get much info on any of these strains. Anybody work with these ones before? I'm hoping that I don't labour all summer only to find white pistils on cold dead buds. Good old northern climate, eh?! heh heh

I'm planning on sexing the little ones, vegging the females into healthy mothers, and having them ready and willing to put out 100+ cuttings a week by the time the weather allows (which means probably around May 15 at the very earliest). This is a totally solo project, hitting railroad tracks, industrial.. edges of farmer's fields, friendly backyards?.. you name it.

Well, that's all for now. Oh yeah. Going all organic, too. I'll try to put another post soon about ferts and other stuff.

Some Pics:

Misc. Vegging Mothers (left side are some bagseed moms, middle are the Peak ladies, right are my morning glories and a scented geranium..my babies are up front!):
grow1.jpg

NLxBB (Potassium deficiency?):
grow_1.jpg
grow_2.jpg

Two TTxBB's:
grow_3.jpg
grow_4.jpg
grow2.jpg

Seedlings:
One of my favorite nugs on The Cheeze
grow_7.jpg
grow_5.jpg

Thanks for looking, folks!
fiddle :tiphat:

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I've grown early sativa (I got them from BC Grown years ago) with good luck -- but they don't finish quite as early as advertised. Very nice high, though. I hear the fast Manitoba is a good one to try.

Take a look at any of the strains offered by Hybrids From Hell on seedbay. Good stuff bred for the far north.

I would say the same as Claude Hopper, Try Hybridsfromhell. At least i´m gonna do that this year because i´ve moved up to the north in Sweden so this year it is gonna be 90% Danish genetics because they ARE early ! Most of them flower with only 6 hours of darkness and that should assure you with a early harvest and they are frost resistant also from what i heard. . .

Howdy stranger:tiphat:
Are you in Walnut Grove maybe? We might be neighbours.
:laughing:

Looking very much forward to your grow, and I hope the best for you. I've been wanting to try out some canadian stuff myself, but it's almost only going to be danish stuff again this year. Lot's of nice stuff from Denmark.

rocket high

Veteran
I agree .. HFH or HTC are the winner's in the northern climate's .. ive got some Early Girl x Mighty Mite x GG which is mostly Canadian genetics but i have HFH stuff on the go too .. so it'll be a good year this year i think

heres a pic of some

fiddleback

Claude Hopper and others, thanks for the heads up on the HFH.. seem like just the ticket. These grizzly seeds are looking strong so far, but I figure a few more strains can't hurt so I picked up 4 HFH packs from Seedbay. Hashplant2, Danish Gold, WhiteSuper07, and Mighty Arne. I like how the Arne has got the amnesia haze in there, for a little spice no doubt! He makes the seeds at 55 lat? Shoot, that sounds jussst right! :joint:

Do any of you folks have recommendations on cloning methods for high volume? I built myself a bubble cloner about 9 days ago now, loaded it up with fresh cuts and I've yet to see roots. Water temps at 24 (77?) Hmm. I'm kind of reckoning to just buy Rapid Rooter mats, 98 site for 13 bucks. Previously I've just cloned with Jiffy Plugs & heat mat with decent success.. just not very fast to root. And related to previous, are the northern strains difficult to clone? Do they have to veg at 24/0 so they don't flower?

cloner setup:
post21.jpg
post22.jpg

Charles.. Walnut Grove? Think I heard of it before.. Are you in Spruce Grove, or Aldergrove?? Haha Greetings out there! :tiphat:

I'm gonna be watching your thread with both eyes open, Rocket! I'd like to try a little breeding at some point too, seems like a real rewarding type of occupation. I see you're working with Esbe's stuff. Looks real good man. All the best.

Cheers to the season, eh?
fiddle

on unrelated note.. pics of my soon to be smoke (alls i know about these ones is that the seeds came in a packet labeled "hulberts".. smells like overripe mango.. and the little guy is a bagseed from some very kind bc bud (12/12 from seed), any guesses on strain?

post24.jpg
post25.jpg
post26.jpg
post23.jpg