What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are the varieties of the new school so bad?

Starwea

I have read many here who say that their effect is always similar among all, that if you smoke it bores you quickly, that everything current is just power without control and that they throw you on the couch, I understand that landraces are great and that everything depends on pleasure But is there something interesting in the new school according to your opinions? After all, the commercial strains have been the ones that have been most worked and selected, there could be an interesting resource in them such as mixing it with a native variety and eliminating its hybrid bottleneck caused by hurried flowering and little gene pool, perhaps what I say here that it is very clumsy, after all I am a passionate newbie without much experience and many questions, pd: I am using the translator.

I want to know your opinion. :peacock:

Treevly

I don't know much about it, but I suppose blending everything including the kitchen sink lends itself to a certain broad homogeneity of effect. In the day, Jamaican, California Orange, good Mexican, Afghan...... it was like visiting different planets. I don't know if it's that way so much now. Perhaps it was more interesting before it got organized.......... or perhaps the smokers of then got old.

Rembetis

I am one of the "old" smokers on here and I very much remember the time before the hybrids. Each landrace was unique and the smoke was much more complex and there were subtleties and different dimensions to the smoke.

And yes, todays smoke is extremely boring and toxic if you ask me. Headache weed, harsh come downs and hang overs dragging you out the next day. Very dirty where the old lines were very "clean". Its like they tried to turn it into the same effect as an Opiate. I can tell you that even the old Afghanis and Kushes in the early days were nothing like what you guys know now.

One big issue besides hybridization has been mono trait selection concentrating specifically on high THC. Thats where things took a wrong turn and now with more info about the many compounds and with better Laboratory abilities hopefully things will change for the better.

Back to your original question, no I dont expect that there is anything interesting in the newer stuff. Try tracing some lines backwards. Its mostly the same shit with a different name and there is also a ton of hype. If everything was simply hybrid it wouldnt be too bad but at this point you will find that everything is pretty much a poly hybrid crossed to a poly hybrid which was crossed to a poly hybrid etc etc etc going way back. Each cross being made with no more thought other than this one was last months hyped cut and this one is the hot cut before that so it must be hot shit! No, proper breeding requires much more than that.

As for myself, I am right back where I started with the Land races. I've got over 100 lines in my freezer and most of them will get old and tossed in the trash. There are a few very old hybrids in there that might get popped again just for old times sake.

Greatdalas

I am one of the "old" smokers on here and I very much remember the time before the hybrids. Each landrace was unique and the smoke was much more complex and there were subtleties and different dimensions to the smoke.

And yes, todays smoke is extremely boring and toxic if you ask me. Headache weed, harsh come downs and hang overs dragging you out the next day. Very dirty where the old lines were very "clean". Its like they tried to turn it into the same effect as an Opiate. I can tell you that even the old Afghanis and Kushes in the early days were nothing like what you guys know now.

One big issue besides hybridization has been mono trait selection concentrating specifically on high THC. Thats where things took a wrong turn and now with more info about the many compounds and with better Laboratory abilities hopefully things will change for the better.

Back to your original question, no I dont expect that there is anything interesting in the newer stuff. Try tracing some lines backwards. Its mostly the same shit with a different name and there is also a ton of hype. If everything was simply hybrid it wouldnt be too bad but at this point you will find that everything is pretty much a poly hybrid crossed to a poly hybrid which was crossed to a poly hybrid etc etc etc going way back. Each cross being made with no more thought other than this one was last months hyped cut and this one is the hot cut before that so it must be hot shit! No, proper breeding requires much more than that.

As for myself, I am right back where I started with the Land races. I've got over 100 lines in my freezer and most of them will get old and tossed in the trash. There are a few very old hybrids in there that might get popped again just for old times sake.
I totally agree with you, finding really tasty varieties with a good effect (indica or sativa) is very difficult nowadays because the market is saturated with polyhybrid narcotics and very similar flavors and then they sell a polyhybrid indica like a sativa for it takes 70 days to flower.

Starwea

Thank you very much for your incredible answer, I hope to be able to grow local varieties soon, I hope that at some point the average grower is informed but I see it difficult, I thought of sending some information to a youtuber from my country but I remembered that they are sponsored by hybrid banks, when I found out about landrace, I could understand why when the elders spoke to me about marijuana they told me things that I did not believe them, for example my father told me that he once smoked So much that he saw something flying like bright birds, or my aunt told me that The first time I tried it he spent a long time laughing at a bottle of drink, now I understand why they told me. ..
Do not forget to donate or sell those seeds so that the genetics are not lost, I would ask you to give me some but it seems to me that the rules do not allow it, when I recover from my illness I think I would go to Some parts of my country, Chile, now that here there are still varieties without hybridization, they call them chilensis or chilombianas, many look at them in less and many still love them and say they are better, some have the finest leaves that I have seen. , I plan to try to ship those seeds all over the world.Although I don't even know how to ship them to other countries right now hehe, I would tell the seed collectors to focus on the less famous countries as well, understandably in those countries with so much tourism Cannabis, many local varieties have been lost, but there are still many in those less famous countries, not everything is brazil, asia, colombia and mexico, greetings

Lolo94

In this modern hybrid era, even in the mostly sativa hybrids, it's hard to find clean smoke. As others have mentioned, they all seem to have a narcotic comedown. Many start out with a nice sativa high, but quickly fade into a dumbing effect. Some consider this the weed's power, but to me, this stone ruins the high.
One of the cleanest sativa's, I've tried would take you in and out of reality for hours. It would vacillate between feeling really euphoric, hyper aware, to questioning yourself if you were really high or not. It seemed like effects were situation dependent and you could function if needed. Hours later, the high would just go away and you'd be left with a smile on your face wondering what the hell just happened.
We named this plant Hilo back yard, because that's where I found it. It was tall, loose and lanky and looked very similar to bamboo. The previous tenant had chopped it down to a small stem but it regenerated enough to clone.

ahortator

Veteran
In my neck of the woods, in the 2000's decade almost all weed available was Super Skunk (Skunk #1 x Afghan). Now the trend is Critical which is... surprise surprise: Afghan x Skunk #1.

Add to the mix Northern Lights#5. And a pinch of Haze for what breeders want to make you believe they are sativas, and you have the full spectrum of most commercial strains nowadays in Europe.

Add Chemdawg-Diesel-OG Kush for the USA secene.

As a true sativa/NLD (specially landraces) aficionado I find all this really boring.

Rembetis

thats right Ahortator. And the thing that sucks is that we can talk all we want to those guys about the great Sativas and offer them a smoke but unless they lay off the Kush for a bit its pointless. They'll think its weak. But when they do take a break and try Sativa it is a real AHA! moment.

Starwea, since you are new here you should go on over to the Ace section and also in the Seed Boutique area look for the Cannabiogen section. Read up on the posts from Charlie Garcia and Dubi in the Ace forum. Charlie was involved in saving many Landraces and in particular worked on some Columbian strains. He has since left the forum and moved to Columbia to focus on the lines he loves.

You my friend are in a unique position to carry on such works. Most of us are old and it will be up to guys like you to seek out what your country has left of the local genetics and try to preserve them for the future. Help is here on the forums whenever you need advice. When you reach 50 posts you can send private messages as well. Help build the knowledge and document with plenty of photos whenever you come across something. Many on here have an eye for the Landraces and can help you figure out what you find.

Good luck and hope you find something worthwhile on your journeys

Last edited:

Starwea

thats right Ahortator. And the thing that sucks is that we can talk all we want to those guys about the great Sativas and offer them a smoke but unless they lay off the Kush for a bit its pointless. They'll think its weak. But when they do take a break and try Sativa it is a real AHA! moment.

Starwea, since you are new here you should go on over to the Ace section and also in the Seed Boutique area look for the Cannabiogen section. Read up on the posts from Charlie Garcia and Dubi in the Ace forum. Charlie was involved in saving many Landraces and in particular worked on some Columbian strains. He has since left the forum and moved to Columbia to focus on the lines he loves.

You my friend are in a unique position to carry on such works. Most of us are old and it will be up to guys like you to seek out what your country has left of the local genetics and try to preserve them for the future. Help is here on the forums whenever you need advice. When you reach 50 posts you can send private messages as well. Help build the knowledge and document with plenty of photos whenever you come across something. Many on here have an eye for the Landraces and can help you figure out what you find.

Good luck and hope you find something worthwhile on your journeys

Thanks for helping me, I will follow your advice and start with those places in the forum and thanks for the motivation, greetings

Hempy McNoodle

I feel the same and will add that I also think that there is too much emphasis on terpenes. I think this may be why I get migrains if I smoke a modern commercial strain for more than 3 days in a row. When I was young, I smoked for the effects. Some weed tasted like straight up shit, but I didn't care. If I wanted something that tasted like cherries I'd just eat some cherries. My point is that it should be the high, not the terps that are in focus, but what do I know. I love my landraces!

I did get a strain last year that was absolutely wonderful. It was called Big Black and I have not come accross her again.

'Boogieman'

Girl scout cookies are different for me. It's become my favorite new school strain. Most strains give me the same boring buzz but gsc gives me a euphoric high that I like. I'm not even sure which GSC I have been smoking but I definitely prefer it over everything else right now.

Starwea

Girl scout cookies are different for me. It's become my favorite new school strain. Most strains give me the same boring buzz but gsc gives me a euphoric high that I like. I'm not even sure which GSC I have been smoking but I definitely prefer it over everything else right now.

great, this is one of those answers I was hoping to get, it really felt strange to think that everything new is boring, (so much effort from people for nothing?) I think you have to be flexible, I already made the mistake of being inflexible and think in the past that everything new is better, I will no longer make that mistake of being inflexible, I want to give the benefit of the doubt to everything :grouphug:

Starwea

I feel the same and will add that I also think that there is too much emphasis on terpenes. I think this may be why I get migrains if I smoke a modern commercial strain for more than 3 days in a row. When I was young, I smoked for the effects. Some weed tasted like straight up shit, but I didn't care. If I wanted something that tasted like cherries I'd just eat some cherries. My point is that it should be the high, not the terps that are in focus, but what do I know. I love my landraces!

I did get a strain last year that was absolutely wonderful. It was called Big Black and I have not come accross her again.

Hello friend, as I understand it, terpenes are important because they modulate the effect of cannabis, but it makes sense what you say, if we look at almost all the new school they are sweet flavors, therefore, similar terpenes, equal to Similar effects, different smells no matter how bad they are, bring different effects, even one day I want to make a cartbridge that mixes some Chinese variety with ginseng escencial oil, since in Chinese medicine they say that ginseng is mixed with marijuana to look to the future :whee:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
great, this is one of those answers I was hoping to get, it really felt strange to think that everything new is boring, (so much effort from people for nothing?) I think you have to be flexible, I already made the mistake of being inflexible and think in the past that everything new is better, I will no longer make that mistake of being inflexible, I want to give the benefit of the doubt to everything :grouphug:
It's called marketing "new and improved"

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have read many here who say that their effect is always similar among all, that if you smoke it bores you quickly, that everything current is just power without control and that they throw you on the couch, I understand that landraces are great and that everything depends on pleasure But is there something interesting in the new school according to your opinions? After all, the commercial strains have been the ones that have been most worked and selected, there could be an interesting resource in them such as mixing it with a native variety and eliminating its hybrid bottleneck caused by hurried flowering and little gene pool, perhaps what I say here that it is very clumsy, after all I am a passionate newbie without much experience and many questions, pd: I am using the translator.

I want to know your opinion. :peacock:
Depends if you are using for recreation or medicinal! Old school did not have the CBD content (or it was unknown) but, one of the things folks have done was breed for high TCH vice CBD, which created a whole different set of issues, to name but one. I don't ever remember ever being anxious on weed ('70s), as some strains do today. CBDs were bread out. Individual phenos demonstrating high CBD content were culled. CBD is what tames the THC and, a balance of both is req'd IMHO. We are not talking about couch locking here. Not too many folks would go to a party armed with GDP, yet it has its place in the medicinal arsenal. Cannabis equivalent to a downer LOL.

kamyo

Veteran
These new strains are great, but my main issue is that people don't seem to understand that the older genetics can be, and are, just as good. By everyone jumping on the hype train and reversing the newest genetics with other genetics, in a way, the selection is being done in a distributed, decentralized system, which I think is pretty cool. Historically, a single breeder would need to do all of this work himself, so crowdsourcing the selection is actually pretty interesting.

Having said that, I do think things are becoming homogeneous and watered down because of the lack of introducing anything new. You can throw a rock on a seedbank website and hit a strain with both parents having OG or chem in the genetics, sometimes on both grandparents and beyond.

What happens when you outcross a popular cut to something else? You get GSC, or something else. IDK why people aren't looking at bringing new genetics into the mix more.

Additionally, if we follow the stories, all of these are based on chem/og which themselves are from almost 30 years ago. So it's entirely possible to rediscover these traits by taking it back to the early 90s and working with things that would have been available then. A good Haze hybrid and a solid Afghan/Kush should give you enough in the offspring, even if it requires some serious searching, that you can find something just as good as what we have now.

Rembetis

Switcher, CBD did exist but we didnt know much about it. Sativas dont typically have CBD associated with them until you get into the Lebanese types and Afghanis. I have to guess also that our experiences probably had a lot to do with what part of the country you were in compared to where I was. We had some Thais and Durban in the 70's that were like Caffeine and very Paranoid.

The CBD was present in all the great Hashes that came from Lebanon, Morocco, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Those plants arent selected one way or the other. The problem was that while we all knew what Hash was we did not use the plants as they are used in their homelands. Sativa has always been Ganja. Hash plants were always sieved for Resin collection. The problems began when everyone was smoking Hash plant buds like Ganja. We didnt have the knowledge and having to deal with unknowns like CBD presence led to having to make decisions on parental plants for bud smoking. Pissing in the wind really although there were certainly some people that knew what was up and did good breedings but once again it had to do with changing those strains from Hash to buds suitable for smoking

Last edited: