What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Old School White Widow

MoeFunk

Got any fond memories of that late 90's prime white widow?

This strain was before my time and I never got a chance to get to know it. I know it's considered legendary but it's hard to find much info on what made it so special.

What was the best pheno like? Got any smoke reports? Pics?

I'm running some f2's of supposed older stock and got phenos all over the place, from heavy indica to heavy sativa.

Cvh

Supermod
The original White Widow is Black Widow that is sold by Shantibaba from Mrnice.
He took the parent plants with him when he left Green House Seeds.
Look into all the drama that is around White Widow...

Also paradise seeds sell an IBL line from the original cut.

Lolo94

Tried the outdoor version that a friend from lower Puna in the mid 90s. Looked like a snow cone. Was very pretty. It was a heavy (not very energetic but also not couchlock) high that made me a little paranoid. Wasn't my cup of tea but it did well commercially.

madalasatori

Veteran
The 1st batches of WW that made there way to the UK in mid 90's were the 1st time I had a "whitey" from weed.Buzz was very intense at 1st and made many people who tried it do the same!

First time I went to dam circa 98 we smoked everything in Amsterdam in copious amounts and the only weed to cause any whiteys among our group was the widow

Widow is not a particularly tasty strain, it taste a bit acrid to me sometimes

Last edited:

med4u

Veteran
Dinafem had that blue widow that was quit tasty
Got nice sticky phenos from her....kinda reminded of the northern lights #5....wouldnt be surprised if there wouldn't related
I crossed the blue widow with some ghost train haze that came out nice...

Happy Times

Got any fond memories of that late 90's prime white widow?

This strain was before my time and I never got a chance to get to know it. I know it's considered legendary but it's hard to find much info on what made it so special.

What was the best pheno like? Got any smoke reports? Pics?

I'm running some f2's of supposed older stock and got phenos all over the place, from heavy indica to heavy sativa.

Some fun descriptions on HD under Beanhoarder

MoeFunk

I'm just not so convinced that Black Widow is the exact same as the original GHS offering. I know Shanti says it is, but I've read and heard mixed reviews on it.

I know there's lots of WW offerings from many different companies. The ones I have are from late 90's GHS stock so mostly looking for feedback, knowledge, or pics from that. Seems not a lot of people here remember it.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Shanti was the breeder of it he was a partner owner of GHS and sold up and started MrNice.

You will find Sat leaning plants and indica leaning plants the the sat leaning plant had a spicy taste strong high.

The white family had the Widow and the other lines like white shark you also had unreleased versions like the White butterfly only flowers of that was offered at the coffee shop.

window

Veteran
Had a cut of WW back in the late 90’s, was given to me by an old timer.
Plant grew with a huge main cola with little branching, buds were frosty as hell. I honestly can’t remember much about the smell but one thing I will never forget is the taste, like a smooth, cool menthol hash, it was beautiful:)
Hard hitting herb that did induce paranoia in some and certainly caused a few white outs, myself included when I first smoked her.

My mrs tells me the first time she went to Amsterdam, White Widow was the only smoke to put her on her ass and she is always on my case to buy WW seeds or find a cut but no one seems to run it these days.
I have some WW x Sk#1 in the fridge from Cultivators Choice/Breeders retail I will pop one day, I reckon they will be killer.

White Widow would be considered elite smoke these days, I don’t understand why it fell out of favour? Maybe the paranoia inducing effect?
My cut was mould susceptible and needed low humidity and good airflow in flower because the cola’s were so big, I wonder if others suffered the same and maybe why no one seems to grow this variety anymore???
Buds were white with resin, hence the name, so had good bag appeal, flower time was around 9-10 weeks if I recall correctly so not an outrageous time to wait.
If I still had the cut, I’m sure I’d still be growing it, she was as good as anything out there today in terms of taste/potency/bag appeal imho.

Koondense

Veteran
I had WW twice, one from GHS grown outdoors and was not good but still among the best that season(was a crappy season), had lots of resin but got moldy in the rainy october days.
The second was a free seed and was the worst plant i ever had, poor yield, poor resin and tasted like dirt. Nothing like a white widow.

From what i remember it was not shantibaba who created it but he was selling the first regular version of it. Ghs had fems, MrNice the reg black widow, the two are obviously a different thing.

Cheers

KITCHA

Veteran
I had some really nice WW in the 90's here in Australia im assuming it was the original GHS version. Absolute frosted buds and a deep sharp smell that was hard to hide. These phenos tasted nice and smooth but no real dominant flavour if that makes sense. I'd love run here again these days!

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
I'm just not so convinced that Black Widow is the exact same as the original GHS offering. I know Shanti says it is, but I've read and heard mixed reviews on it.

I know there's lots of WW offerings from many different companies. The ones I have are from late 90's GHS stock so mostly looking for feedback, knowledge, or pics from that. Seems not a lot of people here remember it.

Are you running Joey weed's WW by chance?

MoeFunk

Shanti was the breeder of it he was a partner owner of GHS and sold up and started MrNice.

You will find Sat leaning plants and indica leaning plants the the sat leaning plant had a spicy taste strong high.

The white family had the Widow and the other lines like white shark you also had unreleased versions like the White butterfly only flowers of that was offered at the coffee shop.

So in your experience are the sativa phenos the keepers? I have one that leans heavy to that side. Got trichomes even on the stem, but looks like it will take much longer to mature than the others.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The original plant that ghs renamed as white widow was a clone only..a clone thats been in holland since the late 80's.....

The White widow was its original name the breeder of it was shantibaba.

There were 4 partners in GHS shanti and his wife and Arjan and his wife and when the partnership ended shanti re named the white widow the Black widow.

The Widow is Brazilian sat x Indian Indica.

The White Family

The White Widow strain was responsible for a whole range of crosses/ variations, which is now known as the White family. As well as White Widow, the white family also has White Rhino, Great White Shark, and El Nino .

Shantibaba re named them Medicine Man, Shark Shock, and La Niña when he sold his % of GHS and started MrNice.

There are also un released White Family lines like White Butterfly that was offered only as flower threw the coffee shop.I am sure there were others also unreleased to i just cant remember the names.

midwestkid

Veteran
I did black widow a few years back and it was an enormous sativa dominant plant outdoors. Very potent, but not at all what I had anticipated

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
So in your experience are the sativa phenos the keepers? I have one that leans heavy to that side. Got trichomes even on the stem, but looks like it will take much longer to mature than the others.

Hi Moe i found 2 keepers i really loved from a pack one was a sat expressive plant and a indica expressive plant that had a huge main cola both were excellent made f2s with them.

Still have F1s and other White lines i need to get to.

Latest posts

Latest posts