What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Australian (ABC), Duck Web & Reindeer Syrup

Miasa Mura

My name is Miasa and I’m addicted to popping seeds... So, by the love of Shiva I ended up tracking down the first strain I grew from bagseed which is the Duck Web. This variety is reportedly from the Kashmir region, traveled to Hawaii and then to Australia. It is an extremely consistent genetic, producing webbed leaves and pink/fuchsia pistils. Not a high resin variety, subtlety gaining rose and banana peel aromas.

Attachments

• A3F58FFC-CC36-4788-9E1E-F74284D4BE13.jpg
    A3F58FFC-CC36-4788-9E1E-F74284D4BE13.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 5DDDC0A0-FB63-4048-8C6C-43F8EADEBA42.jpg
    5DDDC0A0-FB63-4048-8C6C-43F8EADEBA42.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 4C73F07B-282D-4B3A-B495-756506607C57.jpg
    4C73F07B-282D-4B3A-B495-756506607C57.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 8C11217A-1E43-4E68-9767-856B4386EDF5.jpg
    8C11217A-1E43-4E68-9767-856B4386EDF5.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 0AFDB5DD-1B50-49A5-9A3C-AA17459A99AC.jpg
    0AFDB5DD-1B50-49A5-9A3C-AA17459A99AC.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 56

Miasa Mura

Reindeer Syrup

Reindeer Syrup

The Reindeer Syrup is a cross of a Siberian Landrace Ruderalis to a cutting of 707 Headband by FlyingLion genetics. I heard Jeff Lowenfels on YouTube talking about autoflowers and since I had never grown them out I thought I’d give it a go. I looked through my seeds and found the Reindeer Syrup and popped four. 3 males and one female. The male I kept was displaying Variegation or Chimerism (is that a word? Haha). I bottled up a ton of the pollen, crossed the female for a more IBL as well as to the Duck Web to get a white flower with pink/fuchsia pistils.:peacock:

Attachments

• 77B1D6A2-DF45-4D17-906E-9CBE14531D5B.jpg
    77B1D6A2-DF45-4D17-906E-9CBE14531D5B.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 9EE1EEBD-DD7B-4482-8244-9435267A2A5D.jpg
    9EE1EEBD-DD7B-4482-8244-9435267A2A5D.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 57
  • 580C6EF7-2630-4F92-94D2-F275C5B586B4.jpg
    580C6EF7-2630-4F92-94D2-F275C5B586B4.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 7FDE050A-3E8C-41BC-A616-5AF3B7E57655.jpg
    7FDE050A-3E8C-41BC-A616-5AF3B7E57655.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 90733771-778C-4E3D-8FCD-3A042688E957.jpg
    90733771-778C-4E3D-8FCD-3A042688E957.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 50

Miasa Mura

Australian or ABC

Australian or ABC

I’m so honored and privileged to grow this plant! There are a few theories around the origins of this drastically different cannabis variety. Some believe it to be brought with the aboriginal peoples. The following is from Medicinal Genomics website:
According to John McPartland (pers. commun., 2015)- “Some Cannabis in Australia has a very unique provenance. William Roxburgh, a British botanist stationed in Calcutta, sent germplasm from India to Australia in 1802. More Indian seed was sent in 1803. Colonists grew it in the Singleton district of the Hunter Valley into the 1820s. It no doubt gave rise to a huge patch of feral Cannabis that covered 30 km2 (12 mi2) grew along the flood plain of the Hunter River 160 km (100 mi) north of Sydney. The feral hemp was famously psychoactive.

Beginning in the 1860s, imported camels and camel drivers helped explore and settle Australia’s outback. The cameleers were Muslims and Sikhs from present-day Pakistan and Afghanistan. Perhaps 3000 cameleers lived in south-central Australia. They smoked from “narghiles,” and ate “marjoms” (Stevens 1989). The cameleers may have grown Cannabis (Rainford 2009).“

Attachments

• 8FD60911-6597-4DC5-AD7F-C80049E40639.jpg
    8FD60911-6597-4DC5-AD7F-C80049E40639.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 63
  • 43222B68-537E-4C03-BA52-D529085F8557.jpg
    43222B68-537E-4C03-BA52-D529085F8557.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 07A2D6F6-7F06-49D0-A17D-2AC8F8D6FB0B.jpg
    07A2D6F6-7F06-49D0-A17D-2AC8F8D6FB0B.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 80F29106-6593-4609-8493-9D1D35A4A173.jpg
    80F29106-6593-4609-8493-9D1D35A4A173.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 59
  • D240F384-9DAE-4970-9F43-51069D7E47A7.jpg
    D240F384-9DAE-4970-9F43-51069D7E47A7.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 70
There is another example of unusual botanical expression in australia that shares many similarities in regards to unique growth habits found in ABC

That is the australian finger lime, it grows as a small underbrush shrub rather than a tree and has many unique oils being found in it no where else in other citrus trees. It is believed to have migrated to australia from elsewhere in the world.

What i like to enjoy about the similarities between them for me is that due to the largely isolated nature that is australia, plant expressions can evolve in a unique way over time. Who knows if ABC always resided in australia or if it was brought there from elsewhere.

This is something to be appreciated even if for nothing other than their novelty.

This is in no way a declaration of fact just something i like to think about and when you consider what ABC and australian finger limes have in common, the two most prominent features being short stout underbrush growth habit and uncommin growth habits in regards to leaf shape for the ABC and fruit shape among other things for the australian finger lime.

anyways i hope you had a nice read
have a nice day :)

shutterstock_153339230fingerlime1.jpg?v=1614963802.jpg

picture.php

Last edited:

Lolo94

Grew Duckfoot in the rainforest in upper Puna years ago. It looked identical. Some Plants got fairly tall (around 8 feet). The buds were tight but not huge. The plant was surprisingly mold and mildew resistant (not always mold proof). The environment was very wet and plants were placed between large Ohi'a trees (made it harder for Green Harvest). The high was more Sativa than Indica. Not super strong but still good quality. The hairs were short, thick, dense and often had a pinkish/purplish hue. The buds developed in a tightly packed pattern without much leaf. Gave it up because the quality of some of the other sativas/mix was better.

troutman

Seed Whore
Australia sure does have some exotics seen nowhere else.

Even their mice are huge. Aka Kangaroos. :biggrin:

Platypus would be nice.

kamyo

Veteran
Have grown USC's duck, which is presumably from Wally's old stock, but taken a few generations further. Also had the opportunity to grow out seeds from Wally from a newer version he had (several years ago).

The duck is a great plant, even without the webbed trait. She is one of the most forgiving plants I've ever grown and never disappoints. Just a nice fruity/funky 12 week sativa that provides a balanced, happy high.

Miasa Mura

There is another example of unusual botanical expression in australia that shares many similarities in regards to unique growth habits found in ABC

That is the australian finger lime, it grows as a small underbrush shrub rather than a tree and has many unique oils being found in it no where else in other citrus trees. It is believed to have migrated to australia from elsewhere in the world.

What i like to enjoy about the similarities between them for me is that due to the largely isolated nature that is australia, plant expressions can evolve in a unique way over time. Who knows if ABC always resided in australia or if it was brought there from elsewhere.

This is something to be appreciated even if for nothing other than their novelty.

This is in no way a declaration of fact just something i like to think about and when you consider what ABC and australian finger limes have in common, the two most prominent features being short stout underbrush growth habit and uncommin growth habits in regards to leaf shape for the ABC and fruit shape among other things for the australian finger lime.

anyways i hope you had a nice read
have a nice day :)
View Image

Thank you for sharing! I have heard about the Australian Finger Lime but didn’t know that much about it. Really cool to see how nature makes unique pockets of beauty all over the world :)

Miasa Mura

Grew Duckfoot in the rainforest in upper Puna years ago. It looked identical. Some Plants got fairly tall (around 8 feet). The buds were tight but not huge. The plant was surprisingly mold and mildew resistant (not always mold proof). The environment was very wet and plants were placed between large Ohi'a trees (made it harder for Green Harvest). The high was more Sativa than Indica. Not super strong but still good quality. The hairs were short, thick, dense and often had a pinkish/purplish hue. The buds developed in a tightly packed pattern without much leaf. Gave it up because the quality of some of the other sativas/mix was better.

Thank you for sharing your growing experience with the Duck Web. I agree it’s not something I’d grow for smoking but it sure is beautiful and takes me back to my first year growing Ganja. Enjoy those Sativas :dance013:

Miasa Mura

Have grown USC's duck, which is presumably from Wally's old stock, but taken a few generations further. Also had the opportunity to grow out seeds from Wally from a newer version he had (several years ago).

The duck is a great plant, even without the webbed trait. She is one of the most forgiving plants I've ever grown and never disappoints. Just a nice fruity/funky 12 week sativa that provides a balanced, happy high.

I can’t say that I have... there was a cut of a webbed leaf strain sold at dispensaries in the north bay labeled as Ducks Foot. It had a really green flower with an extremely piney smell and flavor. Reminded me of a Durban or Nepalese. Very focused up high too. Thanks for sharing your experience with that strain :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Thank you for sharing your growing experience with the Duck Web. I agree it’s not something I’d grow for smoking but it sure is beautiful and takes me back to my first year growing Ganja. Enjoy those Sativas :dance013:
its a shame it doesnt rate as a good smoke anymore ,

it certainly did in the past ,
the cross i made with ducksfoot and hawaiin webbed indica was very very potent , as strong as anything around nowadays but a lot smellier ,
folks accused me of lacing the weed with something ....

the ducksfoot on its own was very nice too ,

awesome strong odor , and a delicious taste and high ,

i didnt do the best job of reproducing it in seed form , and i think it has gone down hill since then ...

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran

the cross i made with ducksfoot and hawaiin webbed indica was very very potent , as strong as anything around nowadays but a lot smellier ,

i didnt do the best job of reproducing it in seed form , and i think it has gone down hill since then ...

I’ve talked to older guys that say that it was very potent herb and some younger guys that don’t have the best to say about it.

What ever the reason is for the latest smoke reports being less than stellar, I gotta say that it’s god damn refreshing to see a breeder display some humility these days!

Thank you for that amigo.

I’ve seen you mention “a mistake” you made in a post before. When you were offered seeds by a member you replied that those seeds more than likely came after the mistake was made. I think about this quite a bit. Trying to imagine exactly what that mistake might have been.

Breeding potent cannabis isn’t easy. When the goal includes that a recessive trait expresses in 100% of the offspring.... it becomes much more difficult.

Ive had discussions with some that believe it’s impossible to breed for both potency and recessive leaf traits, because the quality of smoke must always take a back seat to a recessive leaf mutation, as far as selections go. One having nothing to do with the other, there will always be a compromise. I think for the most part, they may be right.

Of course with mutant lines like ABC, where the quality is possibly as low as it gets, there is massive room for improvement. So for now, thats a mutant line that can possibly be bred for both potency and that recessive leaf trait. “Improved” if you will.

More than your mistake, it’s likely the countless mistakes made in all those single pack/single plant reproductions that followed your original release that are most to blame for its new reputation, this is more than likely the fate of all mutant lines that are reproduced from small populations.

I’m gonna keep on wondering exactly what your mistake was. So don’t tell me! It’s how I like to spend my time!lol
:tiphat:

Lolo94

Was the wedded indica known as strawberry web? It was a fairly popular strain on the big island in the 80s and early 90s.
I didn't mean to dismiss the quality of ducksfoot. It just wasn't the soaring high i was looking for. It was much more balanced. It could also be a product of the very rainy environment it was vrown in also. I grew it 25 years ago when Green Harvesr was flying heavily so it wasn't exactly in the wide open.

Miasa Mura

It could be, I just remember the plant I grew out 15 years ago wasn’t too potent. I’m still super excited to give it another go and smoke hella bowls of some Duck Web :) Thank you for your work reproducing the ducksfoot! Potent or not, I love having this plant in my yard!!