What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planting after a fire

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have a burn pile of tree branches out back. I set it ablaze a couple weeks ago and I have a couple more plants to stick in the ground.

Will that soil be dead?

troutman

Seed Whore
I planted a few plants near a fire site recently that I made. I was making fires to clean the
patch I was working on. Grass normally grows on old fire sites eventually so I think it's ok.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
the ashes add K (potassium) to the ground and the black material is bio-char, which helps hold nutrients and add organic material to the soil..

I burn the "hideout" (my grow spot) every winter...

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I have a burn pile of tree branches out back. I set it ablaze a couple weeks ago and I have a couple more plants to stick in the ground.

Will that soil be dead?
NO! We raze softwood lumber forests here is NS. We grow blueberries :) That sucker is just waiting to grow something :)

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It should work fine, just remove as much of the ash as possible. If the soil got real hot, some of its microbes could be depleted, but just mix it up, they will come back. Watch they will be super-plants! I bet it will help keep weeds down around it! Love little experimetns like this. :smoke:

therevverend

Veteran
You want to think of ash as similar to lime, lots of calcium and very alkaline. Works best if your soil is a bit acidic. I know you aren't adding the ash as fertilizer to your soil, it's there because of a burn, but he're a link to a paper about using wood ash in a garden.

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/state/newsdetail.cfm?NewsID=12505

One other thing, the ash changes the composition of the microbes in the soil, dependent on the amount of ash present.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5532396/

Del_9_THC

Hi Tycho

I would use a pitchfork to turn over the soil.
As others have said, the burnt plant matter will add nutes, but I like to have relatively neutral top soil for the first foot deep or so. That way the roots of the seedling or clones don't go directly into "hot" soil, if you will pardon the unintended pun.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I know in Thailand the farmers burn their fields before planting, to return nutrients to soil. It gives them horrible air quality in the spring, since they burn 1000's of acres.

CowboyTed

One of the most beautiful sights I've seen was the forests of Yellowstone, the year following the big fires there. Apparently there was nothing wrong with that soil: everything growing in it was lush, and there were lots of wildflowers in the mix.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I burn off all my garden areas every winter... including my veggie raised beds and the area surrounding them.

Not only is it not detrimental to your soil, it is actually good for it.
For one thing, you kill lots or most of harmful plant diseases and bad fungal spores, which reside in the diseased dead leaves which would normally just lie there all winter.

You also destroy lots of "bad insect" eggs, which are just waiting to hatch in the Springtime..

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Well I put my last 3 plants in it. Strawberry Cough, Trainwreck and a GG4xNL auto.

I have 6 back there now. Only supposed to have 4 at home.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
They burn miles of sugar cane fields in Florida every year as a regular part of the growth / harvest process.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Lot here. Lol.
Do i top dress with it?

Put as much as you have on your garden area..Up to a couple inches thick if you have it...

With a garden fork or garden rake, mix it in with your top 4 or 5 inches of soil...
Doesn't have to be perfect...

Don't use all of the ash... Rake up the char, leaving 75% of the fly ash behind...The ash will help raise the pH of acidic soil.

PDX Dopesmoker

A wildfire has to burn very hot to sterilize the soil, the local fire bosses say that sterilization from fires in only tends to happen when dense stands of young trees burn.

Hookahhead

Ok so you hear a lot about wood ash being good for plants via the web and organic circles. However, it's really not that great for the soil.

As therev said, wood ash is mostly calcium carbonate, with around 10% potassium and 1% phosphorous. It's basically lime, and although a little is good for buffering the soil, too much will make it alkaline. Sadly all of the nitrogen, and most of the P is volitized off during combustion. Furthermore, the heavy metals don't vapor off and are therefore concentrated in the ash. The soil would be much healthier if that organic material was mixed in and decomposed naturally instead of burnt.

Soil is a great insulator, and as long as you didn't have a ripping hot forest fire raging above, I doubt the microbes an inch below the surface even noticed.

I would also like to point out that biochar or charcoal is much different than ash. Ash is generated from normal fires, and most of the carbon is released as CO2. Charcoal on the other hand is generated when woody material is pyrolysised. This just means the wood is heated to high temperature in an inert atmosphere (without oxygen). This prevents the material from combusting in a normal fashion. Therefore the two materials have much different physical and chemical characteristics.

This post has been brought to you by science.

Latest posts

Latest posts