What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Ebb and Flow $50! Instructions step by step

Levitikuz

Parts list:
8 1/2 adapters
8 elbow with side outlet
130-170 gph sub. pump
Black 1/2 ID Tubing
3 1/2 barbs
4 4ft 1/2 pvc tubing
1 tub from concrete section of lowes (the smaller one)
super glue
Duct tape
10 Gallon rubber maid res.

You get 8 of each

Then you screw them together like this and end up with 8 elbows

You get four 4 foot 1/2 pvc tubing

Cut 4 17 inch legs with a hack saw

Then connect the elbows to the 17inch legs like this!

Then cut 2 17.25"

Them cut 2 23.5"

And then connect them to the 17inch legs with the elbows like so!

Buy a tub just like this one in the CONCRETE sections of lowes.

Then if all your measurements were correct it will fit nice and flush like this!

Then cut 1 more 23.5" length pvc and 2 more 17.25" pvc and connect them to the bottom for better stability as so!

So then you end up with THIS!

Now for the table! You will need Duct tape, 3 1/2 barbs from lowes plumbing section, super glue (of your choice) a drill with a half inch drill bit and a small drill bit as you can see in this picture!

Now take 2 of your 1/2 barbs and the drill with the small drill bit and drill holes in them like so! I do this so the nute solution will drain all the way when the pump turns off!

Then take your drill with the 1/2 bit and drill 3 holes in the bottom of the tub like so!

Last edited:

Levitikuz

Cont.

Cont.

Now put the barbs thru the bottom of the tub and super glue them to the bottom them push them thru ALL the way then duct tape them down like this!

Repeat the process to the other 2 barbs and you end up with this!

Now you need some screen that you can buy at wal mart with some small twistie ties you can also buy at wal mart and you cut small square pieces to put around the barbs so your medium you choose to use doesnt get stuck inside the barbs, and you connect like so!

Now you take the balck tubing that fits the 130-170gph pump and you cut the pices to length to go from the bottom of your table to ur pump and drain tubes like this!

2 of the tubes are for draining and 1 is for the pump!

here are 2 working ebb and flows i just showed you how to build!

Any questions on something i didnt make clear enough feel free to ask!
Any comments welcome!
I hope this helps some people! :wave:

Now this is $50 for every part except for the tubing and the 10 gal. res! sorry about that!

Last edited:

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
GREAT Thread! I love a nice and easy, inexpensive DIY, and this one fits the bill. Nice work. Happy growing to you.
My only question would be, are the legs strong and stable enough that they hold up when big, fully flowering plants are in there?
Other than that, looks like these could be put together in a couple of hours.
Happy growing to you!
cc

OK...I lied. One more question. Do you think it's possible, to use one res and one pump for 2 tables like that if they were right next to each other,and the hoses adapted to pump and drain to and from both?
cc

chosen

Veteran
Not bad... I like keeping mine in 6" garden pots. I love those setups for a cheap starter setup. I've done the same thing with 2 rubbermaids and no stand. Stack them and you don't need a stand. The only thing cheaper is dwc. I like this a little better though....
Nice Job...

Running a couple off of one res is just a matter of plumbing and capacity. I've done it with my aero setups.

Last edited:

Levitikuz

GREAT Thread! I love a nice and easy, inexpensive DIY, and this one fits the bill. Nice work. Happy growing to you.
My only question would be, are the legs strong and stable enough that they hold up when big, fully flowering plants are in there?
Other than that, looks like these could be put together in a couple of hours.
Happy growing to you!
cc

OK...I lied. One more question. Do you think it's possible, to use one res and one pump for 2 tables like that if they were right next to each other,and the hoses adapted to pump and drain to and from both?
cc

I believe it is strong enough, i have 2 working right now and they seem very stable to me! I bet it could hold more! thats why i put the pvc across the bottom also, thats what makes it stable.
I was thinkin about using 1 res but im putting those 2 different systems into bud at different times so im using 2 different res's

G

Very cool set up. I want to do a ebb and flow for my grow for flowering clones. I just have a odd shape grow area so your set up wouldn't fit.

FRANKENBLUNT420

me blunt is like, wicked yo!! owight
simply phenominal, i will set one up very soon.

simple, easy, quick to set up, all parts available. . this has to go into the DIY sticky, it just has to.. . . . uh oh, i just got inspired.

Levitikuz

simply phenominal, i will set one up very soon.

simple, easy, quick to set up, all parts available. . this has to go into the DIY sticky, it just has to.. . . . uh oh, i just got inspired.

yes takes about 45 minutes to do it all, and the best thing about it all!!! NO HYDRO SHOP REQUIRED!!!!

Nice. Just wanted to say make sure and get a pump like Levitikuz recommends. My first shopping trip I went cheapo and got the cheapest pump wallyworld had, like a 60gph pond pump ($19). Even tho it says it can push water 3 feet, it won't. Or it will, but not with any amount of pressure, so it'll get to the top and basically stop pumping because the gravity pressure forces it back down so your res will never fill up.

I'm still going to try and put together an e&f with that same pump in a compact system. Think I've figured out how I can get it to work anyway. Once I pick up another tub I'll try and get it posted.

Also, if no hydro shop is required, where are you getting your hydroton? I've yet to find any in the home improvement stores, and too paranoid to ask if they have it. Only thing I've found is like river rock pebbles which is what I'm currently using in my DWC just to block light from getting in the res.

-edit- also wanted to add, I realize this is doing it on the cheap, but for those who aren't worried about a few extra bucks here and there, I highly recommend getting a pipe cutter. Makes very quick work of pvc pipe, especially the smaller sizes, with nice clean cuts and no burrs. So if you don't have a hack saw laying around, and think you may never need one again after this project, it might be a cheaper alternative too, depending on how much they are where you live.

Last edited:

Levitikuz

No hydro shop for any of the parts to make the system..
Not talking grow medium, nutes, ect ect...
Just to construct the system then you can do what you want with it, you see what im saying?

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
5 stars to you :) Great job with the tutorial :)

5 stars to you :) Great job with the tutorial :)

Love the step by step directions with pictures.
A well presented thread,
I've added this to my ICMAG in-house thread link list.
IMB's International Cannagraphic thread links

I'm sure that one can use Lava Rocks from the garden department in order to make it a one stop shopping experience at the hardware store.

IMB :)

Last edited:
Yeah I phrased that wrong, I was just asking where to get it. Didn't mean to imply you were misleading or anything. Local head shop here wants $40 for like a huge bag, I was just wanting to get like 1 little ten pound bag or so.

Levitikuz

My hydro shop sells the huge bags and small bags, hmm i wonder why they dont carry smaller bags....

Thanks IMB and everyone for the complitments :wave:

BlindDate

Veteran
Nice work. My only advice is to stay away from Super Glue and Duct tape when trying to make something leak proof. Use rubber grommets. In fact, just to hear the words Super Glue & Duct Tape in a hydro thread makes me quiver. OOOHHHHHHH (there it goes again)!

Last edited:

Levitikuz

It works like a charm here, the duct tape it merely there to make sure the 1/2 barb stays down until the super glue is dry.
The barb is flush against the bottom of the tub so all i need to make it leak proof is something to keep it pushed flush against the bottom, and super glue does that perfectly is this situation. and after the super glue is dry, you could remove the duct tape and it would still be leak proof!

The 1/2 inch barb is flush against the bottom as shown in this picture! So really all you need is something to keep it that way, and super glue works wonders here!

Last edited:
a better fitting would be to get a male and female threaded pvc connection and a rubber grommet at home depot in the plumming section. would make a compression fitting that would work great without glue.. though it is cheaper at some hydro stores to buy a flow fitting for under $2.

Levitikuz

This looks great and for sure is cheap. I think I'm gonna try it soon.
You will fall in love with this sytem, i know i did, i took out my aeroponics and my dwc and replaced those with another one of these tables, these tables are so sweet.

Latest posts

Latest posts