What's new

At what point do old seed origin plants finish at the same speed as clones?

Biologist

I've been thinking a lot about where I want my grow to go and I like everything about plants from seeds except the finishing times. My plants from seeds finish in 10 full weeks and my clones finish in 8 weeks or so. Huge difference over many harvests, 5.2 harvests per year vs. 6.5.

I have unlimited veg time if I plan and I was just wondering if you let a plant from seed grow long enough does it get the "I'm old" signal and finish in 8 weeks? I don't understand how taking a cutting from a young plant just magically makes the thing finish faster. Is it the actual process of growing new roots from a stem that causes this or is it just the age of the mother adding on? It seems like if it is the latter you could overcome this by just having a long veg time. For example I have some pretty massive trees (to my chest) growing that have the alternating node growing pattern now. If I flower them are they going to have the same 10 week finish still?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't answer your specific question, but i have noticed a few differences between seed origin plants and clones myself. Seed origin plants tend to have a bit more vigor and also they have a stronger apical dominance that is harder to overcome.
As a grower who uses small spaces with limited height, i have cloned seed origin plants, discarded them, and flowered the clones before. With unlimited veg time this is an option to consider.

As far as i have observed, clones DO return to their juvenile state for a short time after rooting, because the leaves go back to being opposite each other for a few nodes until they become alternate again... but this is a much quicker process than seed origin plants becoming mature.

VG