What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Got spidermites what to do with coco

I recently made some soil mixes using Coco, perlite and some compost and transplanted some plants into the mix.
I just had to get rid of all those plants coz they had spidermites.
Is there some way I can reuse the soilmix which is mostly made up of coco or should I throw away this mix in case it got infected with Spidermite eggs?

asher1er

Veteran
I recently made some soil mixes using Coco, perlite and some compost and transplanted some plants into the mix.
I just had to get rid of all those plants coz they had spidermites.
Is there some way I can reuse the soilmix which is mostly made up of coco or should I throw away this mix in case it got infected with Spidermite eggs?

some food for thought.. if you gotta question it then its for a reason.. I'd toss it and start fresh. :tiphat:

I wood

Just bag that dirt up and put it in the sun to cook or leave it sit longer that pests involved can last.
When i had winged root aphids i learned they feed on live plants and their eggs can lay dormant for up to six months.
Bagged up all infected dirt (several hundred gallons) for six months and cooked small batches in the oven in the meantime to keep going.
All of my insect problems faded away when i stopped buying new soil went to reusing what i had.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
just bought blackgold potting soil for some ornamentals and immediately saw fliers.
not the first time either. experienced it with other brands as well.
i'm concerned that they sell products to deal with an issue they may well cause...imo.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
just bought blackgold potting soil for some ornamentals and immediately saw fliers.
not the first time either. experienced it with other brands as well.
i'm concerned that they sell products to deal with an issue they may well cause...imo.
Reminds me of Microsoft and anti-virus software. I remember saying in 1996, the hardware and software coys are swapping spit! <--- yes I said that = 2nd topic

Pumpkin

Veteran
Not a very nature response, but a residual termite spray like chlorpyrifos might set them back for a bit. Spray every couple of weeks to smack the eggs in the head also. You will kill any benafitials also.

bigpeter

Plant vitality plus is fairly expensive but the couple of times I've got the dreaded spider mites its saved my plants. Spray under the leaves and again five days later. I guarantee it will wipe them out completely. Its biodegradable and has no negative effect on the plant or the medium.

BigPhil

Veteran
Never heard of anyone putting compost with coco before. Next time round I would just soil. There are some great videos and pod casts on YouTube that will help you make an amazing soil mix. Also you can plant other plants around that the bugs will like better than you're cannabis plants. Sorry I don't have the answers myself. I grow pure coco indoors.