What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why drip emitters and not schrubblers?

mikeross

Why don't you see more people running schrubblers? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T56BsyDEGXk

They are pressure compensating, spray 360 degrees, spread can be adjust to pot size and they are cheap.

Seems everyone is using emitters, in many cases more than 1 per pot. These schrubblers just seem so much easier... what am I missing here? I think with a clean nute regime, pre-filter and drip clean you wont have any issues with clogging and if you do these scrubblers are easy to swap out and are easy to clean.

jamminwithtrees

I love these things! Honestly didn't know thats what they were called lol, but yeah I use 3 per 5gal pot in my dtw coco setup. Much better than drip they can really move some water and saturate the medium. The only thing I learned (which i should've known in advance not sure why I didn't think of it) if you use a submersible pond pump (like most hydro setups do) they don't produce near enough pressure when restricted and you'll only get a small trickle. What you need is a diaphragm pump like whats used on ag sprayers. I'm using a 60 psi 1.5gpm model i picked up for $25 on Amazon and it drives a total of 9 of these with plenty to spare. The other great advantage of these sprayers they're adjustable on the tip so you can easily dial in the amount of water you need each plant getting if one needs more fertigation than the others

mikeross

I was getting ready to build some drip manifolds for my clone bins. This will do the job.
Thanks to all

Just make sure you get the correct type of pump. A sump/submersible pump, no matter how large won't create enough PSI to make these types of drippers work.

Fixer

I love these things! Honestly didn't know thats what they were called lol, but yeah I use 3 per 5gal pot in my dtw coco setup. Much better than drip they can really move some water and saturate the medium. The only thing I learned (which i should've known in advance not sure why I didn't think of it) if you use a submersible pond pump (like most hydro setups do) they don't produce near enough pressure when restricted and you'll only get a small trickle. What you need is a diaphragm pump like whats used on ag sprayers. I'm using a 60 psi 1.5gpm model i picked up for $25 on Amazon and it drives a total of 9 of these with plenty to spare. The other great advantage of these sprayers they're adjustable on the tip so you can easily dial in the amount of water you need each plant getting if one needs more fertigation than the others

Are you using a 12V pump? I'm having trouble finding a 120V pump. I'm currently using a Mondi sump pump to run Netafim drip emitters. I'd like to switch to an inline pump at 120V.

roybart

Just make sure you get the correct type of pump. A sump/submersible pump, no matter how large won't create enough PSI to make these types of drippers work.
I think my air bubbler halo types did about 7 gph So these at 15 psi will do fine.

madalasatori

Veteran
In answer to the question I feel that there is less to go wrong with an open ended dripper, and I want to avoid the risk of any blockages etc. Less is more imo :dance013:

jamminwithtrees

Are you using a 12V pump? I'm having trouble finding a 120V pump. I'm currently using a Mondi sump pump to run Netafim drip emitters. I'd like to switch to an inline pump at 120V.

Yeah Im just using a 12v pump - my cabinet has an ATX power supply in it so I have plenty of 12vdc to go around :) The demand on the pump Im using is around 65w, so it does need a decent sized power supply. There are decent 100w switching 12vdc power supplies, but at $15-20 itll add a bit of cost to the project.